What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-10

You guys weren't kidding! This is a bunch of fun! 5.0 hrs on her and enjoying every minute (except the fuel bills that come after the flight ;) )

Love the paint scheme David!
Love seeing the kids in the back Andy! Exactly why I am building a -10. So great motivation for me.

The fuel bills are a lot better than the building bills. :)

Russ Daves RV-10

Badlands.jpg.html

No tower. One of the benefits of living on the airport. I would love to take full credit, but the truth of the matter is only provided the airplane. A couple of the local kids had the idea for the picture. I think they came out great!

ZU-JVR is Flying !

After about a year and a half I have another RV in the air. This time ZU-JVR, an RV10. Mostly standard with two Dynon Skyview panels. Oxygen, Central locking, My own plenum and my own intersection fairings. It also has Aero Sport Panels. Ihave also designed a new Trim speed controller board.

First Take-off below.
JVR_001.jpg

First Landing.
JVR_002.jpg

The new owner on the left with his RV Grin.
JVR_003.jpg

The Panel.
JVR_004.jpg

In flight.
JVR_005.jpg

Like I always say - RV Uber Alles :D:D

Last edited:
Sweet.

As I understand the rule in South Africa, you can have an airplane built for you, correct? So you've built for customers?

In the USA, we have a 51% rule. The builder has to be able to show that he/she built 51% minimum.

Best,

Thanks for the compliments gents

Pierre,
Yes that is also the case here with regards to the 51% rule. But I have registered myself as an AMO ( Aircraft Maintenance Organisation ) with special manufacturing rigths. This allows me to build for someone else. You know the story - once you have built one you just have to it again and registering as an AMO was the only legal way over here to cure the itch of RV building. Unfortunatley it brings more responsibilities. A home builder is allowed to make mistakes but an AMO not. Then there is also more paperwork and official inspections just to name few.

Last edited:
Jan,
I am curious how you are installing the windows? Do you have a gasket between the black reveal and the paint? Nice work! I wish I could have a second chance to build anther -10!

With Sikaflex 295

I have used Sikaflex 295 to bond all the windows. With my
first 10, I filled and painted over the plexi to cover the Sika. But after three years of flying there are small paint cracks where the plexi and fiber glass meets.

I have a friend with a Cirrus and had a good look at his windows. Therefore on this one I have again used Sika, but did not paint over the plexi. My
instructions to the paint shop was to paint up to the Sika, but there was a
misunderstanding and he painted up to the Plexi. Luckily the Sika is
paintable and I do not think it will cause a problem later on. On the inside I have close out rings and again finished with sika.

Will post close up photos later.

Last edited:
Some pictures

Close up from the outside.
JVR_1356B.jpg

Inside showing the close out ring and the black finishing with Sika.
JVR_1358B.jpg

Whole door inside.
JVR_1360B.jpg

whole door outside.
JVR_1361B.jpg

Wow, that first shot is beautiful!

How are the seat belts setup in that last photograph? It appears they might be attached to the seat back?

The belts for the front seats are indeed mounted differently. There are two shoulder pieces that are bolted to the seat frame. They raise the belt above the shoulders. The belt passes through these, out the bottom of the frame and are mounted to the wing-spar webbing. There the webbing is reinforced with a few pieces of 1/8" aluminum and an automotive style belt anchor.

N996S is painted and done, as far as they ever are

Here it is, fresh off its post paint test fight. Paints are all metallic, Switchblade Silver, Fontana Red Pearl, Black Diamond and Electric Gold. PPG base/clear system. The interior is Zolatone, a mixture of two of their colors. Heated front seats.

IMG_4975.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4970.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4973.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4976.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4978.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I will go thru the records and get how many gallons of paint it took to do the whole aircraft in the silver, there is silver basecoat under everything.

Wow. Looks great Bruce. I think I see some Brian Streeves in that scheme. I only notice because it is my favorite, awesome job.

Nice work!!!

Looks great Bruce! Is kind of sad that you bought the kit 2 days AFTER mine and you are already flying and painted.. One day I'll get there. In the meantime I get to live vicariously through you :)

Thanks for the compliments.

I just posted in a RV-10 thread called "How Much Paint" the quantities that I used. Might help, or scare off, someone in the future. I know it ain't gonna be me, one -10 is more than enough.

The color scheme was "borrowed" from Brian Streeves (BGS of the forum). I told him I was going to steal it when I saw the photo of his completed ship in this thread earlier. I put that picture on my hanger computer screensaver and, with one exception, everyone said "WOW". Made my decision easy. Some changes here and there, but it is a very simple scheme that fits the shape of the -10 very well.

My wife and I went to a major car dealer and looked at colors. There was a silver parked right next to a red that we both loved immediately. The black was also in the lot. Unfortunately, that red was perhaps the most expensive color in the PPG book, so we found another which I actually like better that was only larcenous.

Now if the weather will clear, we will be getting out of town. Possibly Oshkosh this year, but at least one East Coast trip to visit her brother.

The wife wanted a RV-10 when she heard about them, now she wants an amphib! Could Vans possibly go there???

Beautiful paint job! If you don't mind, can you please give your thoughts on the Aeroled tip light performance? Those are my lights of choice at the moment versus leading edge. I've heard many stories of poor performance in the tips of -7s/-8s, and the -10 is further outboard still. Have not, however, heard many reviews of the new Aeroled tip lights.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present G-RVVY. Nearly 8 years in the making.

Aerosport IO-540, Garmin stack and Dynon Skyview EFIS/EMS. Upholstery by Flightline Interiors.

Engine runs and taxi tests complete with only minor snags apart from the right brake which pretty much disintegrated...... Left is fine so suspect either jammed on, contamination of the pads or a manufacturing fault. Investigation on-going.

Just completing the paperwork and hope to have Permit to Test next month.

Suggestions for a name welcome - "The Groovy Goose", "The Groovy Mule" .... can't seem to get anything that really fits!

Aerosport IO-540, Garmin stack and Dynon Skyview EFIS/EMS. Upholstery by Flightline Interiors.

Engine runs and taxi tests complete with only minor snags apart from the right brake which pretty much disintegrated...... Left is fine so suspect either jammed on, contamination of the pads or a manufacturing fault. Investigation on-going.

Suggestions for a name welcome - "The Groovy Goose", "The Groovy Mule" .... can't seem to get anything that really fits!

Groovy Girl/Gal/Lady?

Congrats!

Now all you need are some extended range tanks and fly it to Oshkosh. :D

Looks excellent! Good luck with test phase. It might just be me, but when I see that tail flash I think, "Gravy Train."

==dave==

Mike

Rear centre piece is an option from Flightline. Includes two cup holders, a pouch each side and storage in the front for a phone and pen.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Had everything signed off today so just waiting now for the UK bureaucracy.

Back