What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airnav guaranteed? fuel prices

alcladrv

Well Known Member
Last month, I had occasion to land and purchase avgas at an airport advertising a "Guaranteed" fuel price on Airnav. The pump price was 45 cents per gallon higher than advertised. Since it was self-service and the price was reasonably competitive, I topped off. No one was there for me to question the price.

It was annoying and I couldn't resist the urge fire off a respectful email to Airnav inquiring as to what is exactly meant by a "Guaranteed" fuel price. I commented that the attractive fuel price was THE reason I landed at that airport rather than others in the area. Airnav requested a copy of the receipt and said they'd get back to me.

Fast forward three weeks, yesterday, without any further communication from Airnav I received a refund check in the mail for the price difference. In the end, Airnav honored the guaranteed price.

Mike

...... without any further communication from Airnav I received a refund check in the mail for the price difference. In the end, Airnav honored the guaranteed price.

Mike

That's good to know.

I would think, however, that AirNav.com got the money out of the "guaranteeing" FBO rather than to refund it directly from their own AirNav checking account....?

Interesting

I also use Airnav and foreflight for fuel prices and have found them surprisingly accurate over the years.
Except in the Bahamas where they post one price on foreflight, list another on the board, charge a completely arbitrary one when you fill, then round up a gallon and if you ask then deduct a cash discount and accept whatever is fairly close in US dollars. Funny. Next plane in line pays a diff price too! :confused:

I also use Airnav and foreflight for fuel prices and have found them surprisingly accurate over the years.
Except in the Bahamas where they post one price on foreflight, list another on the board, charge a completely arbitrary one when you fill, then round up a gallon and if you ask then deduct a cash discount and accept whatever is fairly close in US dollars. Funny. Next plane in line pays a diff price too! :confused:

If this surprises you, you haven't read "Don't Stop The Carnival" by Herman Wouk enough times. Its the bible for anyone in the Caribbean.

If this surprises you, you haven't read "Don't Stop The Carnival" by Herman Wouk enough times. Its the bible for anyone in the Caribbean.

Great read...nothing to do with aviation but a great read for all the reasons you said.

.... charge a completely arbitrary one when you fill, then round up a gallon and if you ask then deduct a cash discount and accept whatever is fairly close in US dollars. Funny. Next plane in line pays a diff price too! :confused:

Maybe they charge you based on what your panel & paint job looks like. :D

Haven't read that one in a while. Now I am going to have to go dig it out of my office and read it again. Such a good book.

Part of my travel library. I usually have one or two of these when I travel:
-pirate looks at 50
-don't stop the carnival
-following the equator
-sand, wind, and stars

Back