What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-A Nose Gear Survey and Data is "Live"

Don

Well Known Member
Just a note to let everyone know that the RV A-model nose gear survey is live.

This survey is for ALL A-model pilots, not just pilots who have had a nose gear collapse. If you fly an A-model RV please take the 10 or 15 minutes to take the survey. Part of what we're trying to do is get perspective on nose gear failures - how common or rare are they? We need everyone flying an A model to take the survey to get a handle on this.

What we're trying to do at this point is two fold:

1. Some pilots have experienced nose gear collapses but at this point we have no idea how common this is in terms of a frequency based on time or number of landings. This survey is going to try and put some perspective on how common or rare the problem is.

2. The survey asks a lot of questions that we think may be related to nose gear failures. After collecting sufficient data, there may some common elements that show themselves as contributing factors besides the odd woodchuck hole.

I realize that the survey has limitations. Pilots experiencing a problem likely won't want to report it. If you know of a nose gear failure, please fill the survey tool out with the information you know - even if you're not the pilot. An independent observer may see and recall things differently from the pilot that experiences the event. Human memory is a curious thing, if you studied it much. And there are a host of other variables.

Having acknowledged this, I think collecting the best data we can under the circumstances will shed some light on the question. Hopefully it will shed more light than speculation. In particular I think we'll get a good idea about the frequency of these incidents.

I'm posting four links. The first link is to the survey itself. The second one is to a list of survey questions. You might want to download this list and use it to go through your log book before filling in the actual survey. The third link is to a summary of the survey results and the fourth link is to photos, videos, reports and similar things.

And thanks to everyone who made suggestions along the way to make this a better tool. Anyone will be able to view the data at their whim and leisure but I expect periodically either Tony or I will summarize the data and post it. I think we'll leave the actual interpretation to each reader...but I also expect the data may lead to some interesting discussions, too.

:eek: The Survey is for all RV-A Pilots. :eek:
Please give us your input.

Click Here to take The Survey​

Click Here for a List of Survey Questions

Click Here for a Summary of Responses

Click Here for Miscellaneous Data Folders

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you like to contribute a report, photos, doc or report problems and ideas please email us at: [email protected]

Great, we're up and running.

Calling all RV-A Pilots we need data from you.

This is for All RV-A Pilots and the unfortunate one who have had an incident.

If you like to contribute a report, photos, doc (to be stored in the data folder) or report problems and ideas please email us at: [email protected][/CENTER]

Thanks to all the people that contribute to this.

It would be nice if in 6 months someone starts a new post with the goal of generating a report w/conclusion that can be store in the data folder.

Looking for Info/Help

Survey responses are coming in and I have some time so please post or email any info on nose overs collapse that you are aware of.

Here's a list of NTSB reports that I could find on nose overs collapse but there must be more?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
NTSB: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/
NTSB ID / Registration #
1) ERA12LA293 N5025G
2) CEN10CA342 N29CA
3) DFW08CA042 N29RV
4) DFW07CA200 N729CM
5) DFW06CA009 N555YF
6) DEN05CA095 N8097F
7) ATL99LA068 N239RB

Tony

Back