What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B Randy Lervold - www.rv-3.com

Hi Randy,

Was looking at your site and noticed your cabin cold air idea. On my six, the cold air (screened) pickup is on on the rear vertical baffle (no hose to the front). It runs to a stainless steel box on the firewall (just like the heater box) so i can shut off the air at the firewall. The air entering the cabin is approx 5 deg warmer than OAT. Down low in the summer time you notice it, but is not horrible. By the way, my six is pictured on your RV-8 site in the paint section. Love your paint scheme ;) .

Chino Tom said:
Hi Randy,
Was looking at your site and noticed your cabin cold air idea. On my six, the cold air (screened) pickup is on on the rear vertical baffle (no hose to the front). It runs to a stainless steel box on the firewall (just like the heater box) so i can shut off the air at the firewall. The air entering the cabin is approx 5 deg warmer than OAT. Down low in the summer time you notice it, but is not horrible. By the way, my six is pictured on your RV-8 site in the paint section. Love your paint scheme ;) .
Thanks for the info Tom, I think you're right that running the scat tube forward is unecessary. It's pretty tight in there besides. I was going to pass the air directly through the firewall and rely on the expensive metal vent assembly to close it off. There's no other good place to take cool air that I can think of the the -3 so I'll just have to live with the 5? temp rise. Of course I remember your paint scheme, I plan to copy it yet again on this plane!

Back