What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backordered RV-10 Parts

Contra

I'm New Here
Hi,

First-time post, I wish it was on a better topic :)

Has anyone else had a hard time getting backordered parts from Van’s? I ordered my empennage kit in July, and I’m still waiting on Bag 1001. It has components for every subassembly in the empennage, and I’ve reached a work stoppage despite working on each component simultaneously to try and work around the delay. They told me they expected the parts to ship Oct 7th, but when I called yesterday (the 13th), they said they don’t know when it will ship.

Is this normal? It baffles me how a few parts (mostly hinge reinforcement plates) could be out of stock from July until November...and perhaps beyond.

I can take a look

I received my empennage kit on Monday and inventoried everything. Let me get home and see what it says about bag 1001.

I do remember one back with the scary "BO" listed next to it.

They have been very busy and recovering from the fires, etc, so I also had to wait a while to get going.

I shall report.

Andy

Back orders seem to be hit or miss. I received my finish and firewall forward kits a week ago with several back ordered pieces, and they are being delivered today.

I’m still waiting on back ordered parts from my QB wings, which arrived in March.

Bag 1145

So, back from lunch and taking a look at my inventory.

Agree with the above post....it appears to be fairly random. The bag that is back ordered in my kit is Bag 1145.

If only we lived closer together we could share available parts!

They make an effort to ship all the backordered pieces from a kit together, to save on shipping since they are paying it for back orders.

I’m still waiting on my ailerons for my QB wings and I ran into the same problem as you where a couple of small parts stopped progress. Those parts were in stock, but the ailerons were holding everything up. I offered to pay the shipping for the small parts, just so I can keep working, and they graciously dropped them in the mail to me for free.

If there is a particular part or two in the bag that you need ASAP, and it is in stock, you can call and ask if they can ship that part.

I bet you can get some of this stuff from ACS if its holding you up. This is pretty random stuff. Is it holding up your build?

Attachments

• 09E0D0B2-4C25-4674-B588-B734080F30FC.jpg
    09E0D0B2-4C25-4674-B588-B734080F30FC.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
My empennage kit is supposed to be delivered today! Still waiting for the truck to make its appearance but my bag 1145 and a grey binder are on BO also!
Hopefully this doesn't slow up the build.

Cheers,

My empennage kit is supposed to be delivered today! Still waiting for the truck to make its appearance but my bag 1145 and a grey binder are on BO also!
Hopefully this doesn't slow up the build.

Cheers,

Bag 1145 not a problem, but no way to build without the gray binder. You'll just have to wait... ;)

I bet you can get some of this stuff from ACS if its holding you up. This is pretty random stuff. Is it holding up your build?

The only bag I’m still waiting on is 1001. It’s holding up the build because it has all of the hinge brackets and reinforcing plates for the VS, HS, and rudder. Everything else is prepped and ready to rivet, but I can’t make progress beyond that on any of the components since those parts need to be riveted into the substructure. It does afford me plenty of time to read the plans over and over, so there’s that.

Attachments

• 8C4A8ED2-C330-4ABC-987F-74F9258DCAA6.jpg
    8C4A8ED2-C330-4ABC-987F-74F9258DCAA6.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 181
I probably have a good idea what's holding that bag up. I wanted to redo my V.S. so I ordered all the parts to be delivered with my wing kit and I'm still waiting on the 3 rudder hinges (1010,1011+1012).......3 weeks and counting....

Here’s the latest reply from Van’s. I think it says they have no idea when the parts might ship, but it’s not entirely clear. As evidenced by this thread, the parts have been included with empennage kits that shipped well after mine did, but the backorder still hasn’t been filled. Frustrating.

Hi ****,
I talked to you last time over the phone about this bag.
That’s why I did not replied back to you.
That bag is in Pending kit updated.
We are updating some parts in that bag..
I don’t have a given diverly date to give you.

Parts Dept.., Van’s Aircraft, Inc.
(503) 678-6545 office
www.vansaircraft.com
14401 Keil Rd NE, Aurora Oregon 97002

Last edited:
Same issue here it’s been 3 months. Still waiting on bearings for all the attach points; elevator, rudder, etc.

RV10

Update on my end. I was notified today that Vans is sending my hinges.....as well as replacement parts and plan changes relating to the rudder stops (invoice says changes to secs. 6, 7 +11).

I’m tempted to place a separate order just for the parts I need now to continue. I’ve had no luck getting past the gatekeeper who sent the email above (and who was equally helpful about the backorder status on the phone). When I look for VS-1010-PC on “The List” dated 19 Oct 20, it doesn’t show as an available part. The other parts I need are all listed.

What is the trick to getting Van’s to ship what they do have in stock rather than holding everything up for one part in a bag? The sales associate I spoke with simply said the bag is being updated and she seemed annoyed that I had the audacity to inquire.

Just want to keep building while time and momentum are on my side . . .

I received my backordered Bag 1001 today, but the VS-1010-PC, which was formerly listed on the inventory sheet as two brackets, appears now to be fused into a single bracket (VS-01010-PC-1). I was supposed to also get updated plans, it looks like (presumably for how to attach that part to the vertical stabilizer rear spar, as the holes aren't the same as it would have been for two brackets), but those weren't in the kit. Haven't had a chance to head outside to the partially-assembled VS to inspect how the new piece should fit, nor have I dug too deep yet in trying to find the updated page(s) from Sections 6, 7, and 11.

Just getting my feet around here, I have no dealings with Vans other than one email a couple years ago but getting a sense of some things lacking that are out of the norm?

Is this correct?

As I understand it, Van's has had a number of issues to deal with that are affecting this including:

- wildfires this year - employees impacted there

- COVID

- very busy year for them.

I've had minor issues this year with backordered parts but they came reasonably quickly. I have high confidence in Van's and not concerned about short term issues. OP has had some trouble communicating, but I was able to get very quick information on backorders so not sure what the difference is.

Someone else pointed out in another thread that Van's is very focused on upgrading their production machinery/capacity and I can see how that might affect things also if they are transitioning some parts from outsourced to in-house.

Van’s certainly appears to be doing a robust business these days, and that is fantastic. The other extenuating circumstances are understandable.

Most of the communication I have had with Van’s to date has been positive. Unfortunately I found myself communicating with one particular individual about this issue who had little visibility and even less ability (or possibly inclination) to communicate. That doesn’t appear to be consistent with the experience of most, so I’ll chalk it up to a one-off and happily build on . . . as soon as the parts arrive.

I finally received notification of a shipment from Aurora today that can only be the missing bag - great news!

I received my backordered Bag 1001 today, but the VS-1010-PC, which was formerly listed on the inventory sheet as two brackets, appears now to be fused into a single bracket (VS-01010-PC-1). I was supposed to also get updated plans, it looks like (presumably for how to attach that part to the vertical stabilizer rear spar, as the holes aren't the same as it would have been for two brackets), but those weren't in the kit. Haven't had a chance to head outside to the partially-assembled VS to inspect how the new piece should fit, nor have I dug too deep yet in trying to find the updated page(s) from Sections 6, 7, and 11.

Just as a follow-up, Van's provided the digital versions of the revised Sections 6, 7, and 11 within a few hours after we emailed; the new hardware also included seems to all relate to the way the newly-designed lower bracket and the new rudder stops are attached to the spar and each other.

Backordered parts

I've had a few backordered items and missing items during inventory for my empennage and my SB fuselage (both in the last 6 months). I've had very good communication with Van's, and they even shipped some of the items when I offered to pick them up at the factory. I've heard that they have been extremely busy and the wildfires had them evacuating the factory a few weeks back. I probably lost about 6-8 weeks of building time due to various delays, but overall I've been very happy with their customer service, and most of the issues have been out of their control.

Back