What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle Tie Question

grjtucson

Well Known Member
Didn't like the interference with the oil return. Can this #4 ADEL clamp handle the heat pushed against the center cylinder baffle?

See below also for a couple pics of my solution for washers for the ends of the ties. It's just soft aluminum tube with holes drilled in it. I welcome comments. Building close to 15 years, days away from trailering it to the airport to hang the wings and get it ready for inspection and flight :)

Thanks,

George

Attachments

• Baffle-Ties-2.jpg
    Baffle-Ties-2.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Baffle-Ties-1.jpg
    Baffle-Ties-1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Baffle-Ties-3.jpg
    Baffle-Ties-3.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I've never understood why everyone ties the forward baffle wrap to the aft baffle wrap.

Tie both to the center baffle plate. No interference with the oil drains, simple, light.

Attachments

• Baffle Ties.jpg
    Baffle Ties.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 376
I've never understood why everyone ties the forward baffle wrap to the aft baffle wrap.

Tie both to the center baffle plate. No interference with the oil drains, simple, light.

This is how the EZ community does this, except using a short length of 1/8ø SS rod to distribute the safety wire load on the baffle curl.

This is how the EZ community does this, except using a short length of 1/8ø SS rod to distribute the safety wire load on the baffle curl.

Works for me. I use a standard AN960-3 washer in each loop.

All,

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I'd have to modify my center baffle to accomplish this so it'll have to wait for a time. It's a bit short and has an inconveniently placed notch. I've never even had it off the engine and now it is RTV'd in all the right places so now is not the best time.

Can anyone answer my original question though? Is the Adel clamp likely to melt? My sense is no, and if it does I can definitely take that opportunity to do it the new preferred way, but does this minor modification conform to acceptable practices? Is it likely to send a DAR into spasms?

Thanks,

George

All,

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I'd have to modify my center baffle to accomplish this so it'll have to wait for a time. It's a bit short and has an inconveniently placed notch. I've never even had it off the engine and now it is RTV'd in all the right places so now is not the best time.

Can anyone answer my original question though? Is the Adel clamp likely to melt? My sense is no, and if it does I can definitely take that opportunity to do it the new preferred way, but does this minor modification conform to acceptable practices? Is it likely to send a DAR into spasms?

Thanks,

George

Not saying that solution is good or bad, IDK, but you could use a high-temp tefzel Adel clamp.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/ms21919wcj.php

Can anyone answer my original question though? Is the Adel clamp likely to melt?

The rubber can handle the heat in that location, and a DAR is not likely to condemn the airplane. That said, it will probably wear the holes rapidly, and/or wear the rod.

I hate to see anything attached to those drain back tubes. But if I had to absolutely positively separate one from a tie rod, I'd bridge the gap with a blob of oil-proof silicone sealant to make a flexible standoff. Here a blob of Permatex Ultra Black on each of the Adel holes would help slow or stop wear.

Last edited:
My OP-40 plans called for a plastic sleeve over the rod.

Attachments

• Baffle Tension Rod Cover.jpg
    Baffle Tension Rod Cover.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 166
Thanks Dan, I'll watch it closely and will likely implement your solution at the first annual.

John, my instructions said the same thing and that's how I built them. I just kept staring at that plastic tubing that was butted up to the oil return line and I didn't like it there potentially rubbing that aluminum. I felt like a standoff, even if it became sacrificial, was better than wearing the return line. If I wear through a rod, same story.

Anyway, thanks all for the thoughts. I'm good to go with this part for inspection and flight and as I said, I'll likely graduate to single cylinder ties at first annual. Part of my reticence was a prejudice towards threaded fasteners and against safety wire (I have conclusively proved it is anything but safe but that is another story). I need to overcome that prejudice, Dan's approach is, as usual, very elegant and simple.

So much more to do...

George

Back