What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stop and go versus touch and go

I never do touch and goes. Every landing is to a full stop, get off the active, go back to the end of the runway, and take off again. This gives me an opportunity to verify that the carb head is in, the mixture is set, the prop is set, the flaps are set and the trim is set. And I can do this when the airplane is stopped and I'm not trying to keep it straight right then.

Dave
C180 flying
RV-3B working on the canopy installation

Last edited:
Landings

If you are doing stop and gos, please announce that during your standard pattern calls.

It is quite annoying being in a pattern with others and somebody stops on the runway and sits there while others would like to use the runway and are expecting the guy ahead to either touch and go or clear.

A simple heads up to others in the pattern mitigates the issue...

Having a taildragger means that I can't log touch-and-goes. So, all of mine are full stops. That is unless something is wrong and I'm going around, which I have done on more than one occasion.

Touch and goes are pretty easy in the 12. Just bring up the flaps and you are ready to go. Saves time - saves gas - saves brakes. :)

With a tri-gear, try practicing T&G's without letting the nose gear touch. I don't know about the 12, but with the 6A I give it a touch of power on touchdown, continue the roll while I bring the flaps up to half and roll the trim back to take-off position. Only then do I start bringing the power back in. I'll be airborne way before full power in. This work obviously depends on runway length.

Yeah - same with the 12 except we bring the flaps all the way up.

Last edited:
My standard landing whether it?s a touch and go or full stop in my Rv-12 or Cherokee is with one (RV-12) or two notches (Cherokee) of flaps. I save full flaps for short or soft field landings. My reasoning is that way I?m configured for optimum climb if I have to go around.

A touch and go is good practice for a go around.

A stop and go leaves a lot of runway behind you...... that is useless.

Having a taildragger means that I can't log touch-and-goes. So, all of mine are full stops. That is unless something is wrong and I'm going around, which I have done on more than one occasion.

This is a semantics issue. You CAN log touch and goes in a tail dragger. You just can?t use those for currency requirements for carrying passengers.
Mark

Always touch-and-go... In Harvards/Texans, Beach 18s, T-Birds, Sabres, CF-5s, Kiowas, and RV-7As...

The RV climbs like a homesick angel with full flaps... (Maybe a little hyperbole there, but it does 'perty good'!)

Our local flying school doesn't permit student T&Gs, but that's a safety thing due to their inexperience...

Full stops. Good practice to reinforce use of checklist. Taxi back to threshold allows for evaluation of brakes, monitor engine temps, engine sound, and of course the all-important potty break?

Yeah - same with the 12 except we bring the flaps all the way up.

I do "rolling" T&G's in the -12 and fly the approach, landing, and takeoff, with one notch of flaps. That simplifies the reconfiguration dance for the go and minimizes trim change and unnecessary brake wear.

Last edited:
If doing stop and go, remember the brakes have a maximum kinetic energy rating.

For example, it's 117,500 ft lbs for the 199-102 Clevelands standard on the 6, 7, and 8.

KE = (0.0443 x knots^2 x weight) / 2

94,138 ft lbs = (0.0443 x 50^2 x 1700) / 2

As a practical matter, that's one stop. In other words, the brakes require time to cool off while going around the pattern. I have no idea just how rapidly they return to ambient, but I do know pattern sizes can vary a lot.

The 199-104 brake on the RV-10 is rated at 185,000.

I do stop and goes in the RV-4 on 3200' 07R, try to get in in under 1200 feet. There is seldom any other traffic and I can get in about 12 in an hour. It is harder on tires and brakes.

Slow down and go

I do what I call "slow down and goes", the primary reason being that if I do a normal touch& go I end up getting too much speed on the nosewheel. That causes my nose wheel to shake - I can feel it on the climbout.

What I do to avoid that is to make a normal landing (keeping the nosewheel off of the runway as long as possible just like a normal landing), slow to about 35 - 40 knots once the nose wheel is down, apply throttle and add enough back stick to lift the nose off of the runway when it's ready, and let it just fly off like I do with a normal takeoff.

It doesn't take much more time that a usual touch & go, so it's friendly to anyone behind you.

My Opinion!

I detest stop-and-goes! One should never stop on an active runway unless it is an emergency. It is VERY discourteous to other pilots. If you are going to stop, depart the runway and taxi back.

I request "clear for the option" from the tower.

RV-12 here, not other RV models, so workload is simple.

Touch and goes are land, nosewheel down, full power, lift nose wheel above 30 kts, rotate around 55 kts, level off and slowly climb out of ground effect once 65 kts are seen, get to 75 kts and slowly remove 2 notches on the Johnson bar while keeping the nose down with forward pressure on the stick, re trim to 75 kts to neutralize forward pressure. Maintain until at pattern altitude above the runway.

Otherwise it's full stop at the limit line before assigned taxi way by ground, listen to ground or tower for instructions for taxiway, and taxi back to end of runway for a complete stop, usually behind other planes ready for takeoff ahead of me. Go through complete checklist before takeoff, adjusting trim for take off, as well as flaps up.

No carb enrichment or carb heat adjustments needed on take off. It's a RV-12 with a Rotax, 912 ULS those are already taken care of.

Last edited:

Not to be pedantic about it but you can log them, they just won't count towards the required recent flight experience.

I really get annoyed in the summer with guys clogging the pattern for touch and goes because here in Phoenix my 12 will overheat on climb if I have to sit in the run up area watching the merry-go-round of people shooting touch and goes while waiting to takeoff. I know it’s an important part of training, but why not take it to a less busy airport to practice?

I really get annoyed in the summer with guys clogging the pattern for touch and goes because here in Phoenix my 12 will overheat on climb if I have to sit in the run up area watching the merry-go-round of people shooting touch and goes while waiting to takeoff. I know it’s an important part of training, but why not take it to a less busy airport to practice?

Very much aware of that situation. Not much you can do, other than fly when it's the cooler part of the day or less crowded? Move up on the Plateau, near Flagstaff or Prescott?

It's much easier to take lessons in the summer when the days are longer and you can go flying before or after work. I refuse to take any flying lessons on weekends around here. Best situation for me is to have plane pre flighted by 7:30 AM, ready for takeoff after run up before 7:45 am and ATC is running.

Last edited:
No problem with multiple Ts & Gs at our airport. My procedure hasn't changed for years: after touchdown, keep nosewheel off ground, add full power. Once airborne, retrim and select flaps up. Normal circuit back for another... (RV-7A)

Back