What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder question

mturnerb

Well Known Member
On page 7-4 the instructions have. you countersink the upper holes on the horn and the striker plates as shown here:

Screen%2BShot%2B2020-06-13%2Bat%2B7.16.49%2BAM.png

Then on page 7-10 these parts get riveted. I just realized the the shop head of the striker plate upper rivets will now be in countersunk material. Is this correct or did I miss something?

Screen%2BShot%2B2020-06-13%2Bat%2B7.17.10%2BAM.png

Look at figure #2 again. It calls out to install 2 flush head rivets (CS4-4) in the two holes you are directed to counter-sink. LP4-3 go into the holes that are not counter-sunk. You should only counter-sink two end holes of top row, not all of them.

Look at figure #2 again. It calls out to install 2 flush head rivets (CS4-4) in the two holes you are directed to counter-sink. LP4-3 go into the holes that are not counter-sunk. You should only counter-sink two end holes of top row, not all of them.

Understood. But my question has to do with setting CS4-4 rivets into the countersink (shop head in countersink)

Understood. But my question has to do with setting CS4-4 rivets into the countersink (shop head in countersink)

Sorry, I mis-understood your question. Looks like you are correct, the shop end does go into a counter-sunk hole to accommodate for grip range of the rivet. Doesn't look like you're "missing" anything. Build on!!

CS4-4 has a 1/4" grip length so the countersink is to avoid using a longer grip pop rivet. Randy already said as much, I just wanted to expand a little because at first glance I was confused by that too.

Has the same question

This was confusing! Had the same question and found it answered on an older thread, but maybe Vans should offer a quick explanation in the plans to prevent confusion

Back