What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seattle Avionics 4.5 update

flysrv10

Well Known Member
I am not in any way affiliated with SA. However, the new update has a lot of exciting weather planning and display features that I think would help those comparing various iPad EFB. It almost make weather research and planning a stand alone app. Other apps might be as good or better; I just don't have experience with anything else.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ6flgIOQUQ&feature=youtu.be to see what is new.

Q

+1. I reviewed part of the video this morning. I like it. I had been using WingX as my PFD (no steam gauges) because FlyQ did not have pitot/static functionality. I recently went to a GRT Sport EX and really like it. I still use WingX and FlyQ on an iPad. I have been slowly migrating to FlyQ because I don't need the AHRS/Pitot static on the iPad anymore via WingX. Still like WingX for some things (and as an AHRS/Pitot static backup) but I really do like some of the new functionality on the latest FlyQ.

I had found that the AOPA flight planner did a pretty good job for complex flight planning as I take a fair amount of long distance flights (400 nm+). It gave a good idea of weather forecasts during the flights and easy to check notams etc. BUT it is being decommissioned on April 30th. I think this FlyQ version will be as good.

Keith

I'm also an avid WingX user for many years. For now I don't need those weather functions but when this virus situation resolves, if it resolves before winter, then I just might be buying the subscription to this app. Looks like it makes weather a lot easier to forecast.

I'll probably buy it first though and use it on the ground while comparing it to actual weather as it changes and if it works as advertised then I'll test it in air.

The only thing I really don't like about flyq is that there isn't any arrow or pointer to your next waypoint other than the highway in the sky.

If it could have a tape across the top with an arrow for current bearing and bearing to waypoint, then I wouldn't need another dedicated GPS or rely on my compass/DG for direction.

Note: This is in a spam can that doesn't have any glass....

There is a ribbon across the top that gives you customizable information such as estimated time in route, waypoint, Bearing to waypoint and current track in addition to other things. Would that give you what you want? Not a pointer but if you make the track and bearing to waypoint the same, then you are on course. I personally don't like the highway in the sky.

To bring up that ribbon, you click on the bottom most icon that looks like a little instrument gauge on the menu on the left side of the screen. That menu goes away after a certain amount of time and you have to touch your screen to bring it up. It is the same menu that lets you choose layers, track up or north up, etc.

Maybe I didn't understand your question but if so, perhaps that will help.
Keith

No, you understood. The boxes with the bearing and current track help a little, but if it had an actual ribbon with an arrow, it would be FAR better. Something like this:

GPS_iFly-Adventure-Pilot_ADVENTURE-PILOT-iFLY-700-GPS.jpg

If they put that thin little ribbon like the white on on the top of the ifly under the customizable information boxes, it would be very little work on their part, not much screen clutter, and very useful.

Back