What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 forward cross-brace: Drill holes?

BuckWynd

Well Known Member
I am aware that the plans say that "no material may be removed" from the forward cross-brace between the gear towers. But I'd really like to use that brace to help support a relatively lightweight avionics shelf. I can't figure out anything else to attach it to.

Has anyone else discussed drilling a couple of AN-3 sized holes in that Z-channel brace with Vans Tech Support, and if so, what did they say? (I'd ask them myself, but I won't be available during their call-in times for 3 or 4 days.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I mounted my VP-X there. If you search through some builder logs you?ll see where folks do an entire avionics shelf. I?ve found that emailing tech support gets a quick reply to questions.

I am aware that the plans say that "no material may be removed" from the forward cross-brace between the gear towers. But I'd really like to use that brace to help support a relatively lightweight avionics shelf. I can't figure out anything else to attach it to.

Has anyone else discussed drilling a couple of AN-3 sized holes in that Z-channel brace with Vans Tech Support, and if so, what did they say? (I'd ask them myself, but I won't be available during their call-in times for 3 or 4 days.)

As side thought: it seems that when Van designed the -8, there was no thought that any avionics might be installed or that an ELT might be required. Routing wires and cables in the -8 takes some imagination (and holes drilled in things you would rather leave alone). And don't get me started on the ELT antenna mounting possibilities. You cannot mount an ELT antenna according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Not possible

Some early -8 builders cut chunks out of the cross brace to clear old-school (long tray) transponders and similar. Have not seen it in recent times.

I doubt sensibly placed bolt or rivet holes will be a problem, but as always, take structural questions to Vans.

Hi Buck! I hope you're doing well buddy. AN-3 is probably overkill for a lightweight avionics shelf. I would go with a #8 screw. A #6 is likely more than strong enough too, but sometimes those smaller screws are bit more difficult to work with.

Back