What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where are the HUDs?

JohnD.TF4

Greetings all,

Does anyone know of options for experimental HUD systems?

The only one that I have found is GRT's Hudly system. Among other things it is dependent on a third party product and (IMO) an overly complicated bluetooth system.

Are there any other units that could be incorporated into an existing system like auxuliary displays are now?

(Hint Hint, Garmin and Dynon)

Thanks!

Look

Look at

Mgfproducts.com

MGF skydisplay HUD

I looked at it last Oshkosh and it was very similar to what I fly at work.

It will integrate with the G3X and I think it was around $25k.

The MGF unit is basically a Hudly projector in a fancy case but with their a processing unit to drive the display.

Greetings all,

Does anyone know of options for experimental HUD systems?

The only one that I have found is GRT's Hudly system. Among other things it is dependent on a third party product and (IMO) an overly complicated bluetooth system.

Are there any other units that could be incorporated into an existing system like auxuliary displays are now?

(Hint Hint, Garmin and Dynon)

Thanks!

There are a few open source project teams working on HUD?s that use off the shelf affordable projectors. The really cheap ones don?t focus to infinity but there is at least one option that does for a couple grand but it?s shape and size does not fit all use cases.

The Fly On Speed team has a spin-off/sub-team that has developed video processing software that uses a Raspberry Pi to translate EFIS data into video signals that a HUD projector can use. Currently we support MGL, Dynon, Garmin, and I think we have added AFS to the mix.

The Stratux can drive a Hudly directly, I set one up in my -6 for a while. The main problem with it is it's physical size and imposition in my line-of-sight. The Hudly had to sit far enough back that it overhangs the glareshield before you can get the reflective screen at the right angle. And it really looks like a mess on the dash once you have both the Hudly and the Stratux sitting up there.

As for flying with it, I liked having the information up where I could see it, but the depth of focus is still only two feet from your eyeballs... It's definitely not an infinity focus system like a true HUD would be. Many feel that makes it less than useful, but I disagree... I have to refocus to look at my panel anyway, at least with the Hudly I don't have to change my line of sight into the cockpit.

There are a few open source project teams working on HUD?s that use off the shelf affordable projectors. The really cheap ones don?t focus to infinity but there is at least one option that does for a couple grand but it?s shape and size does not fit all use cases.

The Fly On Speed team has a spin-off/sub-team that has developed video processing software that uses a Raspberry Pi to translate EFIS data into video signals that a HUD projector can use. Currently we support MGL, Dynon, Garmin, and I think we have added AFS to the mix.
Brian, is the ONSPEED software available for download? It sounded like it was going to become available shortly after Osh last year but I took a look around their website/github recently and couldn't find anything. Do you know if it's on a different site?

I was hoping to try it with a Dynon Skyview HDX system paired with a Hudway Drive once it goes on the market this summer.

Back