What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak auto trim, what is the part connected?

filiperosa

Well Known Member
Hello,
I got a trutrak autotrim with the wiring loom and a small device which I do not know what it is, I was thinking it was an actuator but seams very small.
It was connected to pin 1, 2 and 14 of the auto trim which according to trutrak manual nothing is connected there.

Does anyone knows what this is and how it works?

Thanks,
Filipe

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4EEgT9eiW7WiB84w7

mfSk8Ro2UcmEh0nPnEIHqYoZoiMh0aBQ3RdVagH2SWCOV0YZLUQu1rVD4-v1JoynyK4ClehYi_2aNpZP9JpG9hUHolyXVW1VtR9ySSbv9dSho-09hvZlnphn-5HU1UvPSMOxasTRfYorKrxueJRM8Z0PTFPIq88-M4HFHDc-gpIFzkI0oO13ZLkjswJPRbKFtyKdxUX0aGYmB_Y_y3B4O2bZv3GAEGaa8wMfie9G23vQCFWvDl2w9KgudHpQx2xBWkicPM5uGbegKssXHAFGYwfg38MbBzna409AA5huEzNgJtBLSKsTnSQBS5JPcWE5rGC6FHBLR5Eavsbh6u1f1-uoEw0GtLDwP_IOI5i8k1m24K7mGg2ozajPdpyfTM9OM3UCYuJ6zqY-oQrOjJXOhHXr3FagPQwzxyYzI9vz21V5HpHMx77uslvapw73IhzEuT6UNXV5lm4MR2lPsya2B5HaVjamI49-IzLnxe1J_3i_yckI4jtxVIKMpxxK-yk8T5TgvKcZAVpe7mdQe4r23aJQV-k6jWPI_O09-NC-PwxT87dHerg1vSkbHVulFlTiwuVFcacscx3RDYfgnh2HUujL7keuhCmEIpLplBhZ7czak1OLHMW88koNpQU00rgtjR-YCbWRFDCVxsiskzS4Exv4B7e-GOrE9kvVZCXABDxv_pdv4Q=w1266-h946-no

I don?t know what that is.......

I have the autotrim installed in my RV-10. That part wasn?t a part of my install. The autotrim is just electrically inserted into a couple of the elevator servo lines per the manual.

when I installed the trutrac autotrim it was a module that went between the control head and the servo. It also had two wires to the trim motor, and one to an led indicator light. I wired it according to the diagram. The only issue I had was when I set it up, I set up the trim rate at full (this caused it to trim to fast and would diverge to a severely out of trim state), pick something in the middle and go from there.

when I installed the trutrac autotrim it was a module that went between the control head and the servo. It also had two wires to the trim motor, and one to an led indicator light. I wired it according to the diagram. The only issue I had was when I set it up, I set up the trim rate at full (this caused it to trim to fast and would diverge to a severely out of trim state), pick something in the middle and go from there.
My installation went exactly as described here except we did not have an issue with the trim speed. That LED light was used to set the trim speed. Mine works as designed and the trim speed is at the speed I set it.

Thank you for your answers. The problem I see is that I do not see this part anywhere on the installation manual. It was directly connected to the servo? It to the same point as the servo? You were using only servo or servo and trim motor at the same time?

Thank you a lot,
Filipe

Thank you for your answers. The problem I see is that I do not see this part anywhere on the installation manual. It was directly connected to the servo? It to the same point as the servo? You were using only servo or servo and trim motor at the same time?

Thank you a lot,
Filipe

You'll get more specific advice if you let us know what you are building. Autopilots interface slightly different from one model to another.

My RV-10 is installed exactly per the manuals.

I am not building a Vans, I am building a Long-ez here in Portugal, however for me this is the best experimental forum online and this is the reason I use it a lot,

Filipe

The picture looks like they included something extra in the box. Maybe that is something they used to test the module.

I am not building a Vans, I am building a Long-ez here in Portugal, however for me this is the best experimental forum online and this is the reason I use it a lot,

Filipe

The part you showed isn't used on a RV. You might have better luck with a fellow Long-EZ builder.

Hello again,
Got the answer from TruTrak:

The item in the picture is a Pitch Servo Push Rod with the Trim Sensor attached. The Trim Sensor is used to tell the system when the Auto Trim needs to run.This is why it is connected up to the Auto Trim Module. If you wish to deactivate the Auto Trim just leave the Trim Sensor disconnected.

Thank you all,
Filipe

Back