What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin GI 275 digital display instruments

jliltd

Well Known Member
Looks like Garmin has worked out an answer the the uAvionix AV-30, although the form factor is the same they are much, much deeper. And certified now.

010-GI275-00-hero-img-desktop-a6a7cbf6-1370-4476-b553-1e213340be1f.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027

Form Factor and Price

I'll take this form factor with the G5 functionality and price, please. Put me down for two of them.

:)

My $1575 Dynon D-6 seems to do everything that the $4,000 GI 275 does. What I don't see are any buttons to set the baro pressure, etc.

Last edited:
These are certified replacement instruments. These are likely not targeted for our experimental market. Notice the lack of a big announcement thread by Garmin....

Nice but pricey

I was hoping that Garmin would produce a round version of the G5 for around $1249 but that's probably unlikely now, as it would compete with the new GI 275.

Alternatively, for $1139 it is possible to get one of these.

Flyer magazine in the UK had a positive review Link. I haven't been able to find much feedback or discussion on VAF.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can clarify this for me, but it appears to me that each function (Attitude, MFD, EIS, CDI) is a different unit. To get all the function of a full EFIS would be $20k+??

Pricing

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, but it appears to me that each function (Attitude, MFD, EIS, CDI) is a different unit. To get all the function of a full EFIS would be $20k+??

It appears so, the Garmin website gives a separate price for each device configuration:
AI $3,995
HSI $4,295
CDI $3,195
MFD $3,195
EIS $5,295

Total $19,975

Presumably cabling, batteries etc. would need to be added.

Good Morning!

Thank you for all the interest surrounding our newly released GI275! This is an incredibly capable, fully TSO'd instrument with one of largest approved model lists (AML) of any certificated product released by Garmin. It is a truly exciting product that our team of engineers have been working very hard on for quite some time.

The GI275 is approved for a wide range of aircraft ranging from piston singles through twin engine turbine-class aircraft. Many versions of the unit are available for primary and standby functions to include AI, HSI, CDI, Multifunction Display, and EIS. Within each of those categories of instruments there are various options to include choices like synthetic vision with flight path marker, datalink display for traffic and weather, direct-to map functions, cockpit connectivity, and more. Apart from various 3rd party interface compatibility, one of the most exciting features is a wide range of gyro emulation capabilities for many third party autopilots installed in older certified airframes.

Many assumptions are correct that this product was not crafted to target the experimental market. However there are some versions that would be well-served in an experimental airframe. Some examples would be updating to a digital EIS system, adding a round form-factor artificial horizon with features like synthetic vision+flight path marker, or a nice multi-function display with several useful data pages. All within a standard 3 1/8" instrument cutout not requiring large panel modifications.

Given the certification and cost of the GI275, it really shows the value of the G3X Touch system available to the EAB market. With the cost to purchase 2-3 separate electronic indicators, an experimental aircraft owner can have a complete 10.6" G3X Touch flight display system for a similar investment.

Either way, these are great times for advancement of technology in aviation!

Best Regards,

Brad

Last edited:
Very impressive instruments. For the certified world that wants to keep the 6 pack layout these seem exceptional.

For the budget minded of us, in the experimental world there are other more capable and cheaper options. It?s always a good thing to have a choice. The more products out there to choose from the better!

G5 in round...?

Not sure if it makes sense to garmin but they now already have the outside of the round version of the G5...Can't be that hard to make it work ;)

I like the drop into retrofitting old panels with these new Garmin instruments but I like the form factor of the Aspen that creates a vertical unit taking place of two steam gauges. I think that works well in certified replacing the traditional 6-pack and experiment new panels. Aspen is just too expensive as well.

If you think you have sticker shock looking those prices, take a look at the pricing for these same units certified for use in Class 2 & 3 airplanes!!!!!

G3Xpert,
I would like to know if one GI 275 basic can be configured to do multiple functions. I want to only install one 275 and have it act both as a glideslope/CDI for ILS approaches with a GNC 255 NAV/COM and, when not shooting an approach act as a moving map, with all of the associated features, such as nav, traffic, etc. The website and video are not clear on this.

I will have the following equipment installed:
GNC 355
GNC 255A
GTX 345

Thank you,
Chuck

Back