What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit build sequence and relative build times

BobbyLucas

Well Known Member
Would I be correct in assuming the fuselage kit takes longer to build than the wings and that it can be ordered and built before the wings?

It took me about twice as long to build my fuselage as it did my wings (Empennage+wings were about 25% of my build, fuselage about 25%, Finish Kit about 25% and Engine+Avionics+Options+Finishing about 25%).

I built my RV-12 in my two car garage. I built my wings first because they were easier to store off to the side on the wing rack than it would have been to get the fuselage out of the way to build the wings.

Last edited:
It took me about twice as long to build my fuselage as it did my wings (Empennage+wings were about 25% of my build, fuselage about 25%, Finish Kit about 25% and Engine+Avionics+Options+Finishing about 25%).

I built my RV-12 in my two car garage. I built my wings first because they were easier to store off to the side on the wing rack than it would have been to get the fuselage out of the way to build the wings.

Great info, thanks Tom.

Thanks Scott, I hadn't seen that thread.

Sounds like I'll have no issue doing the fuse before wings as long as I get the appropriate wing bits early to check fit.

I'm also building in a 2 car garage, 22' x 24'. I may regret the space issue later, but I have my reasons for wanting to do the fuse first, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Shouldn't be too bad I don't think.

More sequence

Just to extend the "flow chart" a bit:

It's get a little tricky near the end of the finish kit and that's where I'm stuck at the moment. I'm pretty sure I have no choice but to order an engine (which I'll have to postpone until spring anyway because the hangar door is iced shut).

After you mount the wings temporarily to drill the two holes in the flaperon control arms, it doesn't seem like there's much else you can do.

For ex:

* You can't do the canopy because the rear window isn't in and the rear window shouldn't be done until you've got the emp installed to provided rigidity for the baggage bulkhead.

* You can't install the emp to the fuse because you'll lose easy access for installing the fuel pump etc on the aft side of the baggage bulkhead.

* You can't install avionics for somewhat the same reason.

* You can't do the cowling (part of the finishing kit)

I'm probably missing something here but I'm pretty much dead in the water, I think, until the engine is hung.

It's get a little tricky near the end of the finish kit and that's where I'm stuck at the moment. I'm pretty sure I have no choice but to order an engine (which I'll have to postpone until spring anyway because the hangar door is iced shut).

After you mount the wings temporarily to drill the two holes in the flaperon control arms, it doesn't seem like there's much else you can do.

For ex:

* You can't do the canopy because the rear window isn't in and the rear window shouldn't be done until you've got the emp installed to provided rigidity for the baggage bulkhead.

* You can't install the emp to the fuse because you'll lose easy access for installing the fuel pump etc on the aft side of the baggage bulkhead.

I'm probably missing something here but I'm pretty much dead in the water, I think, until the engine is hung.

It will be interesting to hear others' feedback on this one. For example, could you get just the few bits and pieces that are holding you back, like the fuel pump?

I clecoed my tail cone and turtle deck onto the fuselage so I could complete my rear window and canopy so I didn?t need to wait for the avionics kit. It was extra work removing and installing twice, but for me, it deferred buying the engine and avionics kits before doing the tedious canopy and rear window tasks. I had no issues reinstalling the tail cone for the final installation. At least that was how I did my build. Others can share their process.

And when I ordered my Powerplant kit back in April, it was essentially in stock at Van?s and think I got it more quickly than any of the other kits.

Long lead-times on engines... order it now and have it held for shipment; if it gets ready.

I clecoed my tail cone and turtle deck onto the fuselage so I could complete my rear window and canopy so I didn?t need to wait for the avionics kit. It was extra work removing and installing twice, but for me, it deferred buying the engine and avionics kits before doing the tedious canopy and rear window tasks. I had no issues reinstalling the tail cone for the final installation. At least that was how I did my build. Others can share their process.

And when I ordered my Powerplant kit back in April, it was essentially in stock at Van?s and think I got it more quickly than any of the other kits.

Yeah, the website is showing 2-3 weeks for the RV-12 engine kit. Avionics are 3 months.

For ex:

I did my canopy way before the rear window was in. I put off attaching the tailcone until after the engine was installed. Installed the avionics before the engine or tailcone attachment so I could work with the fuselage on it's side.

fyi, this is my photo log - the sequence worked well for me. YMMV ...https://photos.app.goo.gl/T5HmiGdvPPpxMFSf1 . Fuselage stuff starts late 2014.

This is just my experience, but the very last thing I did was to install the turtle back and aft window. I believed there is enough strength for static loads with the tail cone on without the turtle back on. This way you can get to your fuel lines in the tail your ELT, fuel vent line and tank install. Makes it easer to leak check the fuel system to while the pumps are on.

I did my canopy way before the rear window was in. I put off attaching the tailcone until after the engine was installed. Installed the avionics before the engine or tailcone attachment so I could work with the fuselage on it's side.

fyi, this is my photo log - the sequence worked well for me. YMMV ...https://photos.app.goo.gl/T5HmiGdvPPpxMFSf1 . Fuselage stuff starts late 2014.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the turtle back?

Sorry I call it a turtle back or Vans calls it a turtle deck. (F-01277-L-1 and F-01277-R-1)

Last edited:
Sorry I call it a turtle back or Vans calls it a turtle deck. (F-01277-L-1 and F-01277-R-1)

I'm not even to the tailcone yet (but soon!) so I haven't come across any wetland creature named parts yet. I was able to look it up in my USB plans though. Thanks!

+1 for working with the fuse on it's side. Much easier to stand beside the fuse rather than stand on your head while installing wires and pedals. And the fuse is easy to roll from upright to the side and back again when needed for convenient access to something. Just grab the roll bar and lean back to reposition it on your padded worktable (or old pallet mounted on 2 sawhorses).
I fed the wiring and pitot static lines thru the tunnel and left them taped in a roll pending empennage attachment.

Would I be correct in assuming the fuselage kit takes longer to build than the wings and that it can be ordered and built before the wings?

I built the fuse before the wings. If I built another one, I would do it in the order suggested by Van's. No question.

Retain the ability to put the fuse on its side as long as you can. This makes some things much easier.

I'm not even to the tailcone yet (but soon!) so I haven't come across any wetland creature named parts yet. I was able to look it up in my USB plans though. Thanks!

One of the interesting things about the RV-12iS ki (vs. the RV-7A I built years ago) is all references are to numbers, not names of parts.

I have an inordinate amount of references in my 12 build log to "that thing" and "dohickey".

One of the interesting things about the RV-12iS ki (vs. the RV-7A I built years ago) is all references are to numbers, not names of parts.

I have an inordinate amount of references in my 12 build log to "that thing" and "dohickey".

I've noticed this, too. Fortunately, both the part names and numbers are on the first drawing of each section. It comes in handy when making a log entry.

Back