What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Fuselage Weight

joedallas

Well Known Member
RV12 Fuselage Weight no wings.

Can anyone please tell me the finished weight of a standard RV12 with
the wings off.

I can't put my wings on in my shop and I would like to compare the weight to my highly modified 12 to see how far off my weight and balance predictions are.

Thanks
Joe Dallas

Just a good estimate....

Ours empty is 763 minus 180 (wings avg about 90lbs each) is 583#

763 is paint, wheelpants, lights, autopilot, interior options, single skyview

Just a good estimate....

Ours empty is 763 minus 180 (wings avg about 90lbs each) is 583#

763 is paint, wheelpants, lights, autopilot, interior options, single skyview

Mine needs to be on a diet at 786.00

RV12 Fuselage Weight no wings.

Thanks guys

Do you know the front wheel weight with the wings off.
I have a Jabiru 3300 engine and have made some changes to move the CG back.
We have some good aircraft scales at our EAA Chapter ( http://eaa1298.com/default.htm ).

I will bring the scales home next week and weight it to see if my W&B is in range.

Thanks again
Joe Dallas

I will bring the scales home next week and weight it to see if my W&B is in range.

Aircraft needs to be weighed with wings on to determine COG. Also, datum measurements are taken to leading edge of wing by dropping plumb line.

COG is a rather important consideration for safety-of-flight and should be done correctly with no shortcuts...

2vl5kqx.jpg

Last edited:
RV12 wheel weight

Jim

I plan to do my final W&B at the airport with the wings on.
If I can get the numbers of what a wings off RV12 wheel weight is then I can determine if my wheel weight is in range.
Also my wings are about-? 15 lbs heavier than the stock wings with my wing tanks.
By comparing the wheel weights with mine I can do a little math and see if I am close to my calculations.
If I am off my more than I calculated, I can make the modifications in my shop before going to the airport.

Thanks
Joe Dallas

Jim

I plan to do my final W&B at the airport with the wings on.
If I can get the numbers of what a wings off RV12 wheel weight is then I can determine if my wheel weight is in range.

If shop is too small, why not push the fuselage out onto the driveway, on a nice day with no wind, and attach wings for exact COG?

Whatever....

Wheel Weights

Jim

My wings are in the shop getting ready to vinyl and there in no driveway by my shop.

If I could get the wheel weights it would save me a lot of time and would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe Dallas

I weighed mine wings-off to decide how to secure it on the trailer for transport to the airport. It was 590.2 lb. and CG arm = 77.53 in. aft of datum. That is CG 16.57 in. fwd of main gear, 47.33 in. aft of nose gear. Weight on nose gear was 153 lb. Wing-on weight was 754.5, arm = 81.90. So each wing weighs 82.2 lb.

Thanks Charlie Great Data

Thanks Charlie

Great Data

Joe

I weighed mine wings-off to decide how to secure it on the trailer for transport to the airport. It was 590.2 lb. and CG arm = 77.53 in. aft of datum. That is CG 16.57 in. fwd of main gear, 47.33 in. aft of nose gear. Weight on nose gear was 153 lb. Wing-on weight was 754.5, arm = 81.90. So each wing weighs 82.2 lb.

Back