What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Voltage regulator recommendation

rv6builder

Well Known Member
Does anyone out there have experience using an automotive voltage regulator on their RV? I'm using a Cessna (Ford) alternator that came with my engine. If anyone has any recommendations for a voltage regulator, preferrably solid-state, please let me know!

Alex

Does anyone out there have experience using an automotive voltage regulator on their RV? I'm using a Cessna (Ford) alternator that came with my engine. If anyone has any recommendations for a voltage regulator, preferrably solid-state, please let me know!

Alex

I use one. a mid-70's ford model will give you a cross-reference. I used a standard automotive brand unit. It is solid state (I think they all are) and was $25 from Amazon.

Larry

Square ford type unit. Available at any auto store in America for about $20. Lots cheaper than a motel and fedex when it quits in podunk.

Yep, you might not be able to find the VR166 number, but 1975 Ford LTD will work every time. :)

How to wire it:

Alternator_Test_1.jpg

Last edited:
Voltage regulator

Why not go with a quality voltage regulator that you can adjust the voltage output? I have a B&C one and I really don't want to rely on an auto store VR when flying IFR. Sure it's more money but what are you worth??

It's a quiet linear regulator & has overvoltage protection. Here's my choice:

http://www.bandc.aero/alternatorcontrollerregulator14vhomebuilt.aspx

If you don't want to shell out the $$ for a new one then advertise here on the forum. I'll bet someone out there has an extra one.

Thanks for the wiring info Sam, that'll be a big help. Oh, and I sure like your website, its been a great help if something on my -6 project hasn't made sense!

Alex

No. And no. And fuses don't protect from overvoltage, they protect from overcurrent.

The B&C regulators are the only ones I'd trust for built-in OV protection. But it's relatively simple to add external OV protection to either the Ford style regulator shown, or to an internally regulated alternator.

Back