What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Valve

anumerick

Hey guys,
I'm installing the fuel valve on my RV9. It seems there isn't a sealed connection when the elbows connect to the valve. What should I use to make a sealed connection? Teflon tape?

Thanks everyone!

p.s. Finishing kit ships out August 8th... I'm getting there slowly, maybe flight ready next spring. :)

If I remember correctly these are pipe threads. After a good bit of research I used Permatex #2 or #3 on these connections, making sure to avoid the first few threads. No leaks for me. Use sparingly, a little dab is enough.

Chris

If I remember correctly these are pipe threads. After a good bit of research I used Permatex #2 or #3 on these connections, making sure to avoid the first few threads. No leaks for me. Use sparingly, a little dab is enough.

Chris

NO Permatex in your fuel system.

Van's is now fighting a $35 million dollar lawsuit because some guy used Permatex in his fuel system, among other things. Here is one of many stories.

Van's is now fighting a $35 million dollar lawsuit because some guy used Permatex in his fuel system, among other things. Here is one of many stories.

Permatex is a brand name, Bill, not a specific product. There are lots of different Permatex varieties, just like there are lots of different Loctite varieties. Some belong on aircraft, some have no place on them. The lawsuit above references the permatex version of RTV. I think all of us would agree that RTV has no place in a fuel system. The Permatex version of Loctite 567, however, is not RTV.

Last edited:

That was a very different case, and very different Permatex, which he also happened to glob on in copious amounts.

Permatex #2 is designed for just this application and I have not heard of a single incident when used properly. If it's good enough for Mel for 35 years, it's good enough for me:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=456880&postcount=4

-Chris

Permatex is a brand name, Bill, not a specific product. There are lots of different Permatex varieties, just like there are lots of different Loctite varieties. Some belong on aircraft, some have no place on them. The lawsuit above references the permatex version of RTV. I think all of us would agree that RTV has no place in a fuel system. The Permatex version of Loctite 567, however, is not RTV.

I agree, there are different varieties; however, as builders, we don't always know and/or understand the difference between them.

It is best to use caution when assembling your fuel system!

Back