What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A little help here before first engine start

Fearless

Well Known Member
I have tried to prime my engine by turning over the engine with the starter with the top plugs out to try to get oil pressure. I believe I am seeing pressure now on the engine with my EIS. I am almost ready to try the first engine start on a rebuilt Lycoming with new ECI titan cylinders. Here are some instructions from some ECI documentation:

Pressure oil the engine before the first start‐up after the engine has been
installed in the airplane. There are numerous systems that will accomplish
this task, which range from homemade to sophisticated production equipment.

Unfortunately, pressure oiling does not lubricate cylinders,
pistons, and rings. Therefore, ECi recommends that spark plugs be
removed and the cylinders themselves should be oiled before start‐up.
If the engine is equipped with a spin on type oil filter, it is beneficial to
fill the oil filter with engine oil before start‐up. The filter must be properly
installed, torqued and safety‐wired. All pre‐oiling equipment and activities
must be maintained and performed in a manner that does not introduce
contaminants into the engine.

Okay so my question is - is this telling me to put some oil down the cylinders themselves through the spark plug hole and if so how much.

I left a voice message to Continental/ECI customer service this morning trying to find out an answer so who knows when/if I get a call back.

I checked to make sure my oil pump was working by checking the line to the oil cooler when I sent my cooler off to be serviced when I was investigating the oil pressure on the EIS. I plan to pull the oil filter off and check for oil there and if none to put some in to assist in the start up.

Just trying to stack the deck in my favor.

Okay so my question is - is this telling me to put some oil down the cylinders themselves through the spark plug hole and if so how much.

Based on what you posted, yes. You want enough to load the oil ring, which should be a tablespoon or two, IMO.

I squirted Corrosion X in my cylinders since it will be a few months before I can crank it up.

If you are seeing a pressure indication on the EIS, the filter is already full.

Thanks for the feedback

Thank you guys for the feedback.

While I had the oil cooler off I had the lines flowing together through a union fitting.

Ray - I was thinking the amount should be around a tablespoon or so.

Dan - Good point about the filter but I will loosen it just to see if oil will flow out to make sure. Re-tighten and safety wiring again.

Todd - thanks for the link to the Lycoming instructions. Looks like I need to pre-fill the oil cooler.

I need to verify that I got good fuel flow going on before I try the engine start as well. I still need to calibrate the fuel gauge readings on the EIS but my Vans backup gauges look like they are reading fine. I believe the FAA wants a log book entry that you tested the fuel system anyhow.

Plan to be at hangar this weekend to check out the fuel system and then try to turn the engine over. I will feel much better if/when this bird comes alive.

Last edited:
Todd - thanks for the link to the Lycoming instructions. Looks like I need to pre-fill the oil cooler.
I was reading the Lycoming SI and for the "normal" RV engine (not dry sump, external oil tank, or turbocharged) it pretty much seems to say take the plugs out and crank the engine without disconnecting anything.

I think filling the oil filter is good practice (I always do that on aircraft oil changes), and I imagine filling the oil cooler would be good too.

I was surprised that the official Pre-Oiling instructions are pretty much "crank till you get pressure, then start within 3 hours"

Am I reading it wrong?

I was reading the Lycoming SI and for the "normal" RV engine (not dry sump, external oil tank, or turbocharged) it pretty much seems to say take the plugs out and crank the engine without disconnecting anything.

I think filling the oil filter is good practice (I always do that on aircraft oil changes), and I imagine filling the oil cooler would be good too.

I was surprised that the official Pre-Oiling instructions are pretty much "crank till you get pressure, then start within 3 hours"

Am I reading it wrong?

You are correct. You are motoring the engine with the starter to get oil pumped everywhere.

IMHO, once you Pre-Oil per Lycoming SI, you should be good for 2-weeks or so before starting. IMHO, once you have oil pumped through everything, it is just like starting an engine after it was in a flying airplane for a period of time.

I, like you are saying, typically motor engine using starter with spark plugs out, install plugs, connect wires, and then start the engine. It is advisable to have helpers available to watch for oil, fuel leaks, and to have fire extinguishers ready.

Photo from Kitplanes:
image002.jpg

Am I reading it wrong?

Pretty much it. It spins really easy with top plugs out. It took ~20 revs for a 540 to get oil pressure. The starter was warm, not hot, to the hand. Later, once started, it took several cycles of the prop to get response, if you have a CS.

All the crank and rod bearings will get pressure lube, but the cam lobes and cylinder walls depend on the oil leaking out between the crank and rod bearings to be thrown out from centrifugal force and sprayed, unless you have cam lobe sprayer jets installed.

Back