What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy nick repair

AAflyer

Well Known Member
While installing safety wire on my oil filter, I lost control of the pliers, which flew up and put a small nick at the bottom of my windscreen.
I have a Todds canopy, which I understand is a different plastic than Vans'.
I'd like to learn of an appropriate "filler" that I can dab into the hole, and polish it smooth.
Any ideas/advice?
Thanks.

I'm going to say no filler, just a micromesh kit session.

$25.

Kr-70.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19vKQAXO24

Last edited:
It's the same plastic!

Hey Bruce,

As the former operator of Aerocanopy, I can tell you for sure that it's the same plastic (cast acrylic). That's what's used for heated and pressure formed canopies.

The micromesh is a good product, but if you already have the graduated grits of sandpaper needed, and the finishing polish you can do a good job. I really liked the Novus products.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with a scratch....I have a small gouge, and would like to fill it in.
I feel it is too deep to sand/blend out.
What about some clear nail polish?
Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with a scratch....I have a small gouge, and would like to fill it in.
I feel it is too deep to sand/blend out.
What about some clear nail polish?
Thanks.

Before you make ANY attempt to repair that "gouge" you might like to read this very recent thread about a builder who attempted to repair a crack in his canopy and made things worse.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=175738

Personally I think the nail polish idea is not good. Nail polish contains volatile organic solvents which will attack your acrylic and may promote cracking.

Windscreen reoair kit

Perhaps a windscreen chip repair kit from an automotive store? The resin in the kit hardens in UV light and is optically the same as glass.
However I don't know about compatibility of the resin with the canopy plastic. The tech support line for Permatex may be able to advise, or do a test first on a separate piece of plexiglass.

Back