VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-05-2019, 10:03 PM

There are so many new batteries on the horizon with energy densities suitable to make the RV?s a 4hr+ machine, but someone just needs to get them across the line. I saw an article on CO2 lithium cells this morning that looks promising.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SSNw2WvAdQ

Tom
RV-7 With an IO-360 that wants to be electric.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:50 AM

Well whatever it is going to be, they have announced it via their newsletter last week.......

Donated in 2019
Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 AM

Default RV15

Vans has guaranteed that I will not buy a kit until I know what this new plane is. I?m ready to go, but I don?t want to have buyers remorse and buy let?s say a 10, and then Van?s RV-15 be some kind of new, whiz bang updated version of a four place that no one can live without.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akb3 View Post
Vans has guaranteed that I will not buy a kit until I know what this new plane is. I?m ready to go, but I don?t want to have buyers remorse and buy let?s say a 10, and then Van?s RV-15 be some kind of new, whiz bang updated version of a four place that no one can live without.
Just be prepared for long waits between each kit release while you are building if you choose to go with a new kit release when it happens.
AirCam flying
Old 01-23-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Yep.

Extra words to make it postable.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Be careful playing the waiting game. There will always be a next aircraft right around the corner.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 PM

Vans has stated multiple times that RV-10 is their second best selling plane kit at the moment, I doubt they are going to announce an updated version of it after the sunk cost of all their new production equipment and cause such a popular kit to be slowed down in orders for a few years while people wait for the kit to start production.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxan View Post
Vans has stated multiple times that RV-10 is their second best selling plane kit at the moment, I doubt they are going to announce an updated version of it after the sunk cost of all their new production equipment and cause such a popular kit to be slowed down in orders for a few years while people wait for the kit to start production.
Really? Didn't work that way for the 3/4, or the 6/8, or the 7/9/14...
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxan View Post
The -10 is fine overall, but could use some tweaks. What they should do is update the kit with a cabin top and doors that are a drop in fit and don't need a huge amount of finishing work. Oh, and update the doors to front hinged. In addition, they should offer "canned" avionics packages at a great price so they get some $$ on those sales, as opposed to all of the custom shops raking in the dough on that stuff. The canned avionics and wiring packages would probably be good for 75% of builders, who'd prefer to install a known-good scheme as opposed to having to design, spec, purchase, and install their unique system.

I think these things would increase kit sales significantly - the doors, cabin top, and avionics are daunting to a lot of folks and dissuade some from starting a build. The avionics packages would be a path to additional profitability for Vans, which is good for the longevity of the business and support of our aircraft.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-26-2020, 06:37 AM

Vans does do this with the RV-12 right now with pre-made and wired panels.. The more I think about it, the more I am in the camp that they will do a pop rivet, easier to build RV-9 with a bigger cabin. It would not be as fast, but getting a under 1000 hour realistic build time would sell a lot of kits.