What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vixen file mill for tubing spacers

johnbright

Well Known Member
Friend
Squaring aluminum tubing spacers with a vixen file and drill press.

Somewhat tedious but controllable because the file loads up every 0.002".

215 RPM, the slowest speed of my drill press.

Attachments

• TimePhoto_20201017_234210.jpg
    TimePhoto_20201017_234210.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 301
drill and scotchbrite wheel

I did something similar by spinning the tube in a hand drill and turning on the scotchbrite wheel - probably not quite as square as your idea, but pretty square.

I’ve done something similar, too. First I use a tube cutter, then I finish up by putting the tube in the drill press with a sanding block in place of the vixen file.

If you have a cross vice for the drill press, you can clamp up a lathe tool and use it like in a lathe to cut the end of the tube to the correct dimension.

I’ve also chucked a bushing in the drill press and dressed the end on some sandpaper. Easy to square it up, take off a thousandth or two, etc.

I’ve also chucked a bushing in the drill press and dressed the end on some sandpaper. Easy to square it up, take off a thousandth or two, etc.

This approach works well and how I did it before the lathe.

I did something similar by spinning the tube in a hand drill and turning on the scotchbrite wheel - probably not quite as square as your idea, but pretty square.

+1, or alternately using a disk sander. Fast and easy way to get them the right length as well.

Back