What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance cost

skidookid

Rv8 with 250 hours ,no accidents.new insurance quote to renew at 1700.00 . Keeps going up .any words where to get better price.

New insurance on a 9 year-old RV-9A that I'm trying to buy...I was quoted $1500 from AIG for a $100,000 hull. Leah Ringeisen (877) 520-6247 - great to work with....answers her phone, returns voicemail and emails promptly.

+1 for Leah

Seems like currency or rather how much you fly has an impact. Mine only went up about $70 this year but I'm still in honeymoon phase :D

Through Skysmith / Global I get much better than that, 1500 hr RV-6.
IFR rating, regular flying and a respectable total number of PIC hrs may be a factor.

I also faithfully report all the FAAST-eligible EAA and AOPA webinars I take but was told recently that those don't make a difference. Too bad, you'd think they would want to incentivize that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, once again I remind you that Leah (Gallagher, who I personally favor), Ladd Gardner, Skysmith, etc., are all insurance AGENCIES. If the system is working as it should, each should be getting you the same quotes. Now, some companies have grown tired of issuing multiple quotes, so they now will issue a quote only to the first agency that asks. If there is any other reason why some agency gets a lower quote than another, something is wrong with the system. You should choose an agency based on their SERVICE. Choose an insurance company based on price, and a discussion with your agency about their recommendations and why. Only AVEMCO does not fit this description; they don't use independent agencies. If you want a quote from them, you need to contact them directly.

Over the last 4 years my insurance on my 9A has been $1246, $1348, $1348, and $1337. That's for $100k hull and $1M total liability with $200k per passenger. I received my instrument rating in 2018 but saw no difference in my premium for 2019 as a result. I did get an $11 drop in premium on my 2020 renewal while everyone elses rates seem to be going up - so maybe it was the renewal of an instrument rating that they consider as a safety factor, rather than the first year of it. I have 1400 total hours with half that being in my 9A, and 80 hours in actual IMC.

And yes, another vote for Leah. Prompt, courteous and professional.

Last edited:
Back