What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman Certificate

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Looking for what others have experienced on getting their repairman's certificate. I applied for mine on 09/08/2020. Still no word. Not sure if there's a way to check on the status??? Or, how long it took others to get their repairman's certificate approved.

Any insight on others experiences would be appreciated.

Looking for what others have experienced on getting their repairman's certificate. I applied for mine on 09/08/2020. Still no word. Not sure if there's a way to check on the status??? Or, how long it took others to get their repairman's certificate approved.

I would call/email the local FSDO and ask. This is probably very different FSDO by FSDO. I got mine from the Allentown FSDO. They had an inspector come out which talked to me about my airplane for an hour or so (really easy questions for somebody who built the airplane like how is the fuel system routed... .) gave me some tips and signed the paperwork. Generally Allentown is really easy to work with. When I changed my prop and needed a new test area to do proper acro testing they were very accommodating . ... .

Only thing I felt bad about is that the FSDO inspector figured as he is at my airport anyway he will do an unannounced field check for all the commercial operators (flight school, repair station,...). Hope they had their books in order ... .

Oliver

Randy,

Was 6 years ago and pre-COVID but the San Antonio FSDO had me make an appointment to bring my build manual, photos, etc to their office at the SAT airport. The inspector was training another who didn’t know much about building an experimental or even rivet types. Maybe he was playing dumb but don’t think so. After 10 minutes of educating the trainee on AD rivets and bucking bars and such, the main inspector glanced over my build manual and said, “everything looks in order”, and wrote my temp cert and I was out in less than 20 minutes. Planning to call them soon for the -10 to see how it’s done now.

Richmond FSDO did mine via a quick Zoom conference. Printed out a temp cert at end of conference and got the card in the mail a couple weeks later.

I sent my application into the Miami FSDO and forgot about it. Several days later I got a call from the manager of the housing complex I live in. He told me a guy from the FAA was trying to contact me and gave me a number to call. When I called the FAA gentleman he stated he'd been trying to track me down. I forgot to put my phone number on the application. A week later he drove from Miami to APF (Naples), inspected my 9A, went through all my builder logs and pictures, and quizzed me about the airplane. He then filled out a temporary repairmen certificate, told me I'd receive the permanent card in a week. He was absolutely delightful gentleman.

Orlando FSDO did mine just last week also via Zoom. Called the FSDO office number listed online. Took a couple of days for them to call back and set up an appointment with an inspector. Inspector was courteous and knowledgeable and issued the temporary the same day as the appointment. A week and a half from when I call and I had my temporary. Still awaiting the permanent. Recommend you do a follow up call or email.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 N104EW Flying

newly completed as well

I had my inspection on Oct 1st with the ASI from the local Spokane FSDO. Took a few weeks to work out the in person part due to covid shutdowns. We mostly went over paperwork and talked about the plane and kit. Just happened we met at the airport so did it mostly in the hangar. It was a pleasant experience that ended with my temporary certificate in hand that day. I just got my permanent plastic card in the mail a few days ago so run around time was 1.5 months from meeting to permanent card in hand.

Did my paperwork with the Inspector on 8/4/2020 and still no permanent card. I have an email into him but haven't heard back yet.
Michael

I filled out the paperwork, called the FSDO and made an appointment. Came with the builder's log, pictures, etc. We talked airplanes a few minutes and he signed my paper. I left with a temp slip, and the card came I think 6 weeks later. Couldn't have been easier.

Here in BR the FSDO is appt only. Once I had the appt it was all downhill.

Back