What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

static port

dan carley

Well Known Member
i have a rv-4 already built, i am not the builder and need to know where is the best location to install the static port.

thanks
danny
rv-4
N2275s

plans...

Dan,
I might suggest calling Van and ordering a set of dwgs for the fuse and finish kit with the manuals. This way you can answer all of these little questions for yourself. About $80.

In fact, I just did this for my purchased RV4 as I have lots of little niggling questions myself....

John

static ports - look at the other thread, same name.

31- 8 -06 pmercier answered that question to me correctly. If you search using 'static ports' as the search string you will find it easily. Sorry not to give you the post number but I dont see how to.

Steve Sampson said:
31- 8 -06 pmercier answered that question to me correctly. If you search using 'static ports' as the search string you will find it easily. Sorry not to give you the post number but I dont see how to.
Here is the info I posted for Steve.
I'm showing SK-54 giving the location of the static port as 18" forward of the HS centered on the fuse.

If it ain't broke...

If you arre already flying and it works, why mess with a good thing? You'll spend valuable flying time stringing plastic tubing into the aft fuselage on your back and trying to crawl through the rear baggage door! :) Trust me, been there, done that!
Since the early RV4 plans (mine) had no provisions for static port location, I installed the static ports on my RV4 on the fuselage sides just above the cowl cheeks using large pop rivets with the plastic static tube over the crushed shank on the inside. Why? Because it's easy and works. I have a "fresh air valve" option similar to the early Citabrias which I found almost no difference bewteen the ambient cockpit air and outside static air. My Garmin 396 confirms good accuracy...

Your call...

Rob Ray

Back