What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

90 deg. filter, hitting engine mount

jthocker

Well Known Member
I was putting a 90 deg. filter adaptor on my engine to gain some clearance for the oil cooler hoses. After it was mounted I tried to screw on the filter but it hits the engine mount tube. It seems I've seen compact filters out there. Is that what they're for? Or is the RV8 engine mount only capable of straight filters?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Aerosport sent my O-360 with a 90 degree filter adapter, and I had the exact same problem. I asked about compact filters, but they didn't know of any that would work for me, so they swapped the adapter out for a straight one.

Cheers,
Rusty

Thanks Rusty
I can go back to the straight, right now the engine is on the mount with the mount off the plane.

Jon
RV8 #82473 will fly in Nov.
RV4, RV4, RV6A

90% filter

Do you have a spacer on your 90% filter adapter? They're available with a selection of spacers to move it away from the engine for clearance around the mount. I checked ECI's web site and they list .75", 1.5" and 2.5" spacers. Ask your engine builder for the spacer option for your engine if you don't have sufficient clearance.

RV8 w/90 degree filter adapter

My filter adapter required the 2.5" spacer to clear the motor mount on the RV8. 180 HP parallel valve. Got it from ECI. It was either $35 or $45, I think. Makes it very easy to change the filter.

Just another datapoint - I have the 90 degree adapter from Mattituck on my RV-8 with a TMX-360, and have used both Champion and Kelley filters, and both work. Looking at my pictures, there does appear to be a spacer in there to move the filter back a ways.

Paul

90 degree filter

The Lycon parallel valve IO-360 on my -8 came with the 90 degree filter mount. It looked great but there was no room to unscrew the filter, and if you ran the engine, the filter would certainly hit the mount. I've heard B&C has a spacer as well, but haven't checked their site. I have a 20 amp B&C secondary alternator to mount on the right vac pump pad. Does anybody know if this will interfere with the filter, or how much spacer would be needed for this combo? Thanks for any advice. Will check with ECI. Bill

Have the 90 deg filter

on the 7a and found that Kelly filters will not fit unless you ..er..adjust them a little with a small hammer. Not knowing ANYONE (cough) who would do this I swapped them for the Champions which fit much better albeit at more cost.

Of course I saw that you can get an extension AFTER i swapped the filters.

I bet the extension is simply a flat plate...I might make one one day when I'm bored.

Frank

I have the ECI 180 HP Parallel valve engine in my RV8. Also, the oil filter adapter and the B&C back up alternater on the vac pad. Everything fits without interference. Need the 2 1/2" spacer for the oil filter adapter, though. Once that is on, you can use either the short or long filter with no problem.

Spacer

Casper Labs also offers the extension. Not listed in Spruce but available if you call. Great service too.

90 degree oil brackiet

I mounted my Mattituck TMX IOF 360 on my RV8 last weekend. It came with a 90 degree oil bracket and 2.5 inch spacer. The reason for the spacer is so the oil filter will clear the engine mount on the -8. Looks great, but, when I tried to bolt on the B&C SD20 alternator, there was a conflict of space. I'm working on options but haven't come up with a solution yet. I can't be the only RV8 guy that has had an SD20 interference problem?

Thanks
Bruce

I have the SD-8, which is much smaller than an SD-20, and the -8 comes pretty close to the filter.....so I can beleive that there might be a problem.

Paul

90 degree oil filter

Just a note here. If you are planning to use a B & C SD20 alternator on the accessory pad next to the oil filter, you will have to be careful. My Mattituck (ECI) engine came with a 90 degree oil filter adapter. In order to obtain the neccesary clearance from the engine mount they used a 2.5 inch spacer. Great as far as clearance for the oil filter, but the SD20 conflicted with its space when I tried to bolt it on. If you use the 1.4 inch spacer combined with a 3/4 inch spacer from B&C everthing will bolt up fine.

Here's a combo that works fine for the RV-10. I've got a Lycoming IO-540 and wanted both the B&C SD-20 on the vacuum pad and their 90 degree oil filter adapter. First, you need their 1.4" spacer to clear the engine mount for the oil filter adapter regardless of whether you install anything on the vacuum pad. Second, if you have their oil filter adapter (and spacer) and want to also install an SD-20 you need an adapter kit that B&C has. Kit contains a 3/4" spacer for use between the vacuum pad and alternator along with a replacement shear coupling for the SD-20. Result is that the SD-20 is moved aft 3/4" but there's plenty of clearance. This combo works great and B&C was terrific to work with in resolving the device conflict.

Another option available through B&C is a different version of the SD-20 (SD-20S?) and their "clocking adapter". This SD-20S is actually shorter than a normal SD-20 by the length of the clocking adapter. This solution is in use by an RV-10 builder that couldn't wait for the spacer solution.

Both of the above add some to the cost of the normal SD-20 install. Not sure of the SD-20S & clocking adapter price, but the spacer & replacement shear coupling additional cost was less than $100.

I strongly suspect that the interference issue would exist regardless of the brand of oil filter adapter. Also, there is no way the standard SD-20 would co-exist on a 540 engine with a 2.5" spacer on the oil filter adapter even with the alternator spacer kit. Might be different with the SD-20S though since it rotates the alternator 45 degrees. Specific area of interference is the lower inboard screw boss on the SD-20 trying to share the same physical space with the upper inboard corner and/or mounting bolt of the oil filter adapter.

Bill is the guy to talk to at B&C.

Bob
RV-10 #40105

RVBruce: Thanks for your post, which I saw late! I guess the 3/4" is from B&C but who makes the 1.4" spacer? Was sorry to hear the 2.5" didn't work. Thanks for working this out. Bill

ECi make them - they have a great website to allow you to find the part number. Get them from a distributor like AERO.

Pete

Back