What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilding elevators

svanarts

Well Known Member
I began to experience the cracking problem in the trailing edge of my elevators that some early RV-4's have. I didn't build my empenage so rebuilding the elevators is a new experience for me. I'm now at the point where I have to make the lead counterweights for the elevators. Does Van's provide a handy part for this now or are will still pouring our own led weights? Thanks!

An alternative

Scott,

If you have the materials on hand, epoxy and lead shot also works well....

gil in Tucson

Melting and pouring the lead is really no big deal at all. Just use some caution and it'll make a nice set of weights.

Elevator weights for a -4.

markscogg said:
Yes you can buy. You need 4 (I think). Just call Van's

Mark - with due respect I think you are wrong. I am posting this in case anyone is tempted to order. Iwould urge anyone tempted to buy the VANS weights to check they will fit a -4. The ones that are common to the -7 and -9 (I built a -9) would not, I suspect.

I have the thicker emp skins and having poured the lead for the left elevator recently. You are going to need every corner to get enough lead in.

While we are on about lead, I was given a big bag of tire (or tyre) weights and used these. I gather they are not the same as pure lead but are in fact much easier to drill file etc..

Car tyre weights may be different in the UK and USA so this may seem to be a nonsense!

elevator weights

I poured my own as the plans indicate. Old tire weights work very well. You simply create a foil pocket on each of the elevator tip. I then filed and drilled the weights.

resized-img_1696.jpg

I have lead if anyone needs. A friend gave me about 50 lbs used in telephone
cable installation( the old paper insulated cable). I'm in North Carolina, free if you pay shipping, tell me how many lbs you need.

Just go to any gun shop and they'll sell you bags of lead shot in whatever size you like. The tiny stuff seems to melt pretty quick. When you pour the stuff you should probably anticipate a little overflow/spillage. I used an old metal cookie sheet to catch the dripping, which would have been a great idea on anything but a vinyl floor. Live and learn.

Not for the 4

I ordered the RV6 weights just as a convenient source for the lead. You still have to melt/form them.

John

You guys were right. I bought a couple of large fishing weights at a local bait shop and melting the lead was no big deal. I didn't like the way they turned out at first so I took them off, remelted, and poured again.

Waaaaaay easier than proseal! Thanks again.

Back