What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics in Canadian experimentals-prohibited?

arffguy

Well Known Member
I notice on Van's "first flights" page the new RV-7 from Canada that has a placard on the instrument panel that says "Aerobatic Manoeuvres Prohibited" I do see the "RV-9" large rudder on it. Is there some reason he would have prohibited aerobatics except by his own choice or weight limits?

It is also interesting that he used a 150 HP engine. That's probably rare for an RV-7.

In Canada, all amateur-built aircraft are prohibited from aerobatics, and placards are required.

The only way to certify for aerobatics is to flight demonstrate the maneuvers required, then your placard can be changed to list the specific maneuvers demonstrated.

About 4 years ago, I researched this, and found that only 2 RV's in Canada were aerobatic approved. I think one was Norm Younie's RV-6. Norm may monitor VAF, so maybe he can chime in.

Vern Little

Aerobatics in Canada

I plan on having one of our local aerobatic pilots fly on the required maneuvers for an all positive G aerobatic routine on my RV-4. There are restrictions on who can perform this test phase, check transport Canada regs. This will be done following the 25 hour fly off and this will then allow me to perform these positive G maneuvers.

Last edited:
I talked to Norm Younie this morning, and he confirms what Phil said. You need to demonstrate the maneuvers, pay Transport Canada some money, make a log book endorsement and you are good to go.

Of course the test pilot needs to be aerobatics trained, and it would be very useful to have previous RV experience.

Vern

As a canadian RV pilot I am glad to say I have never seen a Candian RV, other than the two mentioned, do one of the prohibited maneuvers. We Canadians are very law abiding, even laws that don't make sense!

I once was threatened with enforcement action at a flyin because in the eyes to the Transport Canada guy present the turn I made to downwind after a flyby was an aerobatic maneuver. I don't have to worry about this anymore though because now we are not allowed to do flybys....."demonstations" at flyins are not allowed.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ RV4

Joe Hine said:
As a canadian RV pilot I am glad to say I have never seen a Candian RV, other than the two mentioned, do one of the prohibited maneuvers. We Canadians are very law abiding, even laws that don't make sense!

I once was threatened with enforcement action at a flyin because in the eyes to the Transport Canada guy present the turn I made to downwind after a flyby was an aerobatic maneuver. I don't have to worry about this anymore though because now we are not allowed to do flybys....."demonstations" at flyins are not allowed.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ RV4

I,ve never seen any of that illegal stuff in RVs either Joe. Can't imagine one of us Canadians breaking a law like that one. :rolleyes:
See you at Stanley

Paul

RV 8 Fuselage

You can not fly any aerobatics in your RV in Canada during the 25 hour fly-off period. Only after you have your time flown off and the final paper work done. At that point you must contact TC and get a special flight permit that will allow you to demonstrate the manuvers that you want to do. After this is all recorded in the log book then you once again visit
TC. They will check the log for all the proper enteries ask for their pound of flesh, then issue you a new Cof A. You will be restricted to only the manuvers demonstrated. The RV is not in the unlimited catagory. List the manuvers that Van's talks about in the manual and that is what will be authorized.
It is very important that you get someone with a lot of RV experience to do the testing. Just because the pilot you choose has a lot of aerobatic time doesn't mean a thing. If they don't know how to fly an RV the wings may come off or the plane may end up buried in the ground. Don't ask how I know all this.
Be very careful.

QUOTE=vlittle]In Canada, all amateur-built aircraft are prohibited from aerobatics, and placards are required.

The only way to certify for aerobatics is to flight demonstrate the maneuvers required, then your placard can be changed to list the specific maneuvers demonstrated.

About 4 years ago, I researched this, and found that only 2 RV's in Canada were aerobatic approved. I think one was Norm Younie's RV-6. Norm may monitor VAF, so maybe he can chime in.

Vern Little[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Wow, great replies. Thanks. I learned something new today. I will have to pass this on my friends.

I have had the aerobatic restrictions removed from my RV-6, F1 Rocket and my RV-7.
If you follow TC's rules there is no problem, it is quite easy. There are two methods of having it removed, the long way and the short way. Request the rules from TC on the shorter way, the long way pertains mostly to the unrestricted class and unproven airplanes.It just hurts when they ask for more money.

Back