What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

missed washer callout on wing bolts

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Well with the assistance of Kahuna (thanks Mike!) and another RV-8 driver from Cincinnati (thanks Ron!), we slid the wings on today. However, stupid me, missed the washer callout for the bottom wing bolts.

I dont have the small bolts in yet but I did not put the washers under the heads of the large bolts on the bottom as called on Dwg 16 (I believe). Is this going to be a problem?

PS - this is an A model, so getting the lower bolts back out is definitely not a walk in the park!

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited:
Beg or borrow a pneumatic ratchet and back the bolts out (takes time). You need the washers in place in order to torque the bolt (heads) without galling the spar carry-through.

Been there, done that!

Vern Little

extraction tool

You might also need one of these specialized custom extraction tools.

resized-112_1216.jpg

resized-112_1217.jpg

The bolts are not coming out. I tried all day. How about a reduced height lock nut (AN364)... they are half height and are bolts loaded in shear. Or a MS21024 type of nut good for 160,000 psi tensile. They have a reduced hex dimension so getting a wrench around them should be doable. I'd only need it one location, the outboard one. I think I can turn the inboard one.

I saw one Walter's site that he didnt have a washer in a spot, either. Sorry Walter for pointing it out! Just trying to relate.

Wing bolt washers

You can check with Vans, but I don't think washers under the wing bolt nuts are critical at all. Those bolts are fundamnetally in shear, the nut is basically there to assure the bolt can't back out. IMHO this is another case where trying to 'fix' the problem may cause more damage than leaving it alone.

You're right Dennis, I think getting them out would do more damage... especially with the aileron pushrods in the way of work.

I think I have engineered a solution. Making a two piece 'washer plate' out of 1/16" or 3/32" steel that would be captured by the outer bolts.

What do ya'll think of this? Only worry here is that the plate would rotate out but that is highly unlikely. Besides the lower one could not rotate since the bottom spar/skin is in the way.
washer_plate1.jpg

Or maybe this? Would have to machined (milled).
washer_plate2.jpg

Update... Ken S. @ Van's said just go ahead and tighten them. I put some thick grease around the heads to help.

I lightly lubed the shanks of the bolt on the left side but didnt do it on the right side. It was pretty easy turning the left side. The right side is a lot harder!

Back