What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X EFIS Survival Tips

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A famously skilled RV pilot has just asked to borrow your airplane. There are no issues with insurance, and you have no reservations whatsoever about giving him the controls. Yet, you are slightly worried because ? alas ? he has never operated the type of Glass Cockpit equipment you have installed. Afraid that he might run in to one of those little ?traps? that all complex software systems exhibit to the uninitiated, you take a few moments to brief him on the top ten ?tricks? you have learned that make flying with your personal EFIS easy and stress-free. We all learn short-cuts and signatures that help us more than the structured manuals ever could - now it is time to share those tips with the rest of the world!

If you have more than a few hours behind the G3X EFIS, how about listing a few of the items you?d share with the finest pilot you?ve ever met if he (or she) was going to fly your plane.

Paul

GIB survival

I was flying a friend last week and he couldn't see my main EFIS screen from the back seat.

I have a G3X mounted on my -8 panel on the right side so I selected the "panel" view on the G3X so my GIB could fly from the backseat and hold altitude by looking over my right shoulder and viewing the G3X.

I have a G3X mounted on my -8 panel on the right side so I selected the "panel" view on the G3X so my GIB could fly from the backseat and hold altitude by looking over my right shoulder and viewing the G3X.

Actually John has a GDU 375, which technically is only the display component of the G3X system, not the whole thing. When configured as a standalone MFD like John's got, the map/panel view is indeed available... however, the panel view is currently not available in the full G3X system when you have a PFD display. This might change in the future, but for now it is this way so you don't end up with GPS-derived pseudo-instruments displayed next to (and possibly disagreeing with) the more accurate sensor-based PFD instruments.

I'll post some other G3X tips later, but here's a simple one: If you get lost in a menu somewhere, pressing and holding the CLR key for two seconds will always return to the default page, which will be either the map or the PFD depending on your system.

mcb

Last edited:
GDU375

Thanks Matt! I didn't know the GDU375 was the only one to have the "panel" option.

And I should have been clear, yes, it shows GPS data, so is a good backup if my main EFIS goes down or my GIB wants to see a "GPS" altitude and airspeed.

G3X Mark Key

Matt talked about the press-and-hold function of the G3X CLR button to quickly get you to the default page. The ENT button has a press-and-hold function called MARK.

MarkKey.jpg

When you press-and-hold the ENT key, a popup window allows you to quickly define a user waypoint to MARK your present position. So, for example, if your flying buddy just dead-stick'd his plane into a cow pasture beneath you, you can use this single key to quickly define a user waypoint to MARK the location.

But wait - there is more! :) Each time you press-and-hold the ENT key, G3X automatically places a "1" in the Event marker column in the current flight data log entry stored each second to the SD card. So, whether you want to go back and see the lat/lon stored when you pressed the MARK button or just look at the stored engine data when you MARK'd the time when your engine ran rough, the MARK function is very useful. If you are just using it to MARK the flight data log entry, just cancel the pop-up window which offers to create the user waypoint.

OK, one more use for the MARK button. You shouldn't be pressing buttons during takeoff, but if you DID press-and-hold the ENT button just as your airplane lifted off the runway, it will MARK the 1 second log entry created as you lifted off. You can later go back into your log file and see the exact lat/lon on the runway where you became airborne.

Why, you say, would I want to MARK my liftoff point. ;) Well, if you retrieve the lat/lon of this point from your flight data log file and find the start of the runway by noting in the log file when your logged heading aligned with the runway, you can use one of those online lat/lon to lat/lon distance calculators to see how much runway you used to get airborne.

Steve

Thanks for sharing these tips. They'll be really useful.

One item that I can't figure out is how to export or download the logbook of flights. I've exported the track files, but exporting the logbook is a mystery if, in fact, it's possible. Any hints?

Thanks,

Mike

One thing I do when flying close to restricted or prohibited airspace, especially in the DC area, is to take a screenshot including the map page to show that I was clear of the airspace if anyone ever asks. Sometimes I cut it as close as one mile from the boundary to minimize the detour required on my route.

Mike

G3X Screenshots

One thing I do when flying close to restricted or prohibited airspace, especially in the DC area, is to take a screenshot including the map page to show that I was clear of the airspace if anyone ever asks. Sometimes I cut it as close as one mile from the boundary to minimize the detour required on my route.

Mike

Yes, I hope I never have to use it as evidence, but I like to document trips like this one to Oshkosh 2011 which took me close to class B (and some rain). I just stay autopilot coupled to the flight plan and sit back and watch for jumbo jet traffic. :)

20110725_055813.jpg

One more tip. The screenshot capture control is being moved from pressing and holding the joystick to pressing and holding the MENU key in the next G3X software update. The joystick has lots of uses, so it is a nice improvement to move this to the MENU key which makes this feature even easier to use.

Steve

Last edited:
Logbook download - NOT!

I learned from Garmin support that there is no provision to be able to download the logbook information in a format that another program can use. Apparently, it was based on old software that is not scheduled to be upgraded.

Taking screenshots of the pages worked for me. The only other opton is to write it down manually.

Mike

Audio alerts to intercom

I learned from SteinAir and confirmed with Garmin support that the audio alerts can be wired to an 1/8" plug for an Aux Input to a portable intercom. No audio panel or amplifier required.

Mike

I learned from Garmin support that there is no provision to be able to download the logbook information in a format that another program can use. Apparently, it was based on old software that is not scheduled to be upgraded.

Taking screenshots of the pages worked for me. The only other opton is to write it down manually.

Mike

This is the first plus to my hybrid installation that has 1 - GDU 370 and 1 - GPSMap 696 with XM weather. I didn't have a choice as I already had the 696 and couldn't afford a two display G3X system. Anyway, I routinely download the flight log from my 696 and use it to update my actual logbook. I keep the printed log spreadsheets in a notebook as a backup to my logbook.

Curious that Garmin doesn't support writing the data to the SD card for input to their FlightBook software. I was going to look into using the SD card to transfer the data to Flight book so I wouldn't have to pop the 696 out of its mount every time I updated the log book.

Flying Coupled VNAV Descents from Cruise Altitude

Cruising cross country up high in thin air is hard to beat, but eventually you have to figure out when to start your descent. G3X makes this really easy - and allows you to stay autopilot coupled in the VNAV descent (just like G1000 aircraft).

Here is an example VNAV setup screen from my Oshkosh 2011 trip. I will fly a coupled VNAV descent from my cruise altitude into RIPON. This VNAV setup gets me down from 9500' to 1800' at 1 nm prior to RIPON. Note that I am 1 hour out, and the VNAV descent begins in 35 mins.

20110725_075543.jpg

Using the autopilot mode keys on the PFD, arm the vertical mode for VNAV and wait for it to capture. Here is a screen I captured at 55 nm outside RIPON just as the VNAV descent mode transitioned from armed to active. You will notice that the VNAV vertical deviation bar is now shown to the left of the altitude tape and the selected descent rate (-300 fpm) is bugged on the VSI.

Nothing to do for the next 55 nm but kick back, manage power and mixture, and watch out for OSH inbound traffic.

20110725_083324.jpg

5 mins out from RIPON I am still on the coupled VNAV descent at 300 fpm and the vertical deviation on the VNAV profile is zero. I am armed for the 1800' selected altitude capture which will occur right on plan at 1 nm before RIPON.

20110725_085329.jpg

All of this was done with just the built-in GPS and VFR flight plan. You don't need an IFR navigator to have this kind of capability with a G3X.

Steve
Flying G3X since May 2009

RS-232 Config with GTN 650

Here’s a tip that might intuitive to some, but it wasn’t for me and it deals with setting up the RS-232 channel between the GX3 and a GTN 650 (probably applies to the 750 as well). Anyway, IAW the G3X install manual I had run a 2-condutor shielded wire from the PFD #2 Serial port (pins 14 & 44) to the 650’s Serial #3 (P1001 pins 6 & 44) and configured both for the MAPMX format. But I couldn’t get the channel to “green up” on the G3X’s configuration page which would indicate that the boxes were talking to each other. After hours of trouble shooting (I’ll spare you the details) it turns out my problem was I had both units in config mode while trying to get the channel to operate. Once I returned the 650 to normal operation and accepted the data bases, the channel gave me the green checkmark. The moral of the story, configure the 650’s RS-232 and ARINC 429 channels first, then exit out of config mode and then continue with the G3X’s set-up.

Last edited:
If everything appears normal right up to the point where you need to calibrate your AHRS/Magnetometer and your calibration attempts instantly fail, you most likely either have a missing, disconnected, miswired or bad config module in the GSU73's EMS connector.

The good news is that the config module in the PFD connector can be used in the GSU73. The one in the PFD is not required to get the system to calibrate. To maintain full LRU capability however all config modules must be present and working properly.

Here is a quote from Matt at Garmin regarding the GSU73's config module:

g3xpert said:
SNIP...... We actually just added a config mode status indication last week to show the health of the GSU 73 config module, to help identify this very situation. You can look for it in the next software update later this spring.

- Matt

Last edited:
Be mind full that the 12v sensor power output of the GSU73 has limits on what it will drive.

I can tell you this:

1ea Red Cube Fuel Flow Transducer and
2ea Princeton capacitive fuel level converters
will cause the sensor power to shut down

1ea Red cube and
1ea Priceton converter
works fine.

I recommend you power your Priceton converters from the main bus and not the GSU73...

Put that PFD #2 to good use!

A couple of people have asked me how I got the full screen MFD functions to display on my second PFD like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uilR4M79bfc

It is actually quite simple and the G3X allows you to switch the second PFD between several modes of operation:

From the install manual Rev G Page 11-15

PFD2 Layout–Controls the screen layout for PFD2 (for 3-display systems only).
  • Auto–PFD2 is a dedicated full-screen PFD display (when not in reversionary mode).
  • Split Screen–PFD2 always remains in split-screen mode.
  • Full PFD/MFD–PFD2 displays a page sequence that includes a full-screen PFD display as well as
    full-screen MFD pages.
  • User Selected–(default setting) Allows changing PFD2 Layout in normal mode from the Display
    Setup page in the main menu.
Full PFD/MFD is how I have mine configured. This gives me the ability to either use it as a second PFD or MFD with a twist of the knob. The extra screen space makes it nice for having a map on one, traffic on the other or weather or however you want to display the massive amount of info available.

You can use the MFD and the PFD#2 as another MFD at the same time. In our small SBS cockpits the PFD#2 is quite usable from the pilot's seat!

Last edited:
A couple of people have asked me how I got the full screen MFD functions to display on my second PFD like in this ....

You can use the MFD and the PFD#2 as another MFD at the same time. In our small SBS cockpits the PFD#2 is quite usable from the pilot's seat!

First off, nice work on the panel and thanks for the video... Keep em' coming. Can't wait to fly the G3X!

Second, i kind of lost you in the above... what are you running (from left to right) and what do you refer to them as. I assume these are all GDU 37x ?? From my g1000 experience I would refer to the left as the PFD and the other two as MFD's. but you are referring to two PFD's, which threw me for a loop...

GDU 370 or 375 means nothing other than one has an XM receiver and one does not. This does not dictate their function. Their function is determined by a jumper built into the harness connector.

Here is the typical verbage for a 3 screen G3X system:

Left most panel PFD#1
Middle panel nested up against the above MFD
Right most panel PFD#2

Of course if you set up for the pilot on the right side, this is reversed and you can put the MFD on the opposite side of the PFD#1 if you want.

The PFD#1 always has the flight instruments displayed on it

The MFD is a typical MFD but will revert to a display for the flight instruments if the PFD#1 fails.

The PFD#2 is user configurable with the options I listed in the above post. You might say it can have multiple personalities.....

For a 2 screen setup, all is the same except you delete PFD#2

For a 1 screen setup, delete the MFD and PFD#2 and the PFD#1 will always run in split screen mode

Last edited:
G3X Survival...

Back to lurking and working. Health problems resolved. Now it's time to graduate from a PA28R and fly something fun...

Anyway, I got great responses from my questions on the G3X system from both Stein and Tim at Garmin. I'm going with "ask someone smart" as my personal G3X survival tip...

G3X Tutorial Videos

I just returned home from an awesome four days at OshKosh in the Garmin TeamX booth. It was a real pleasure to talk to so many of you guys in the RV and Vans AirForce community.

Some of you guys asked if Garmin had any videos or webinars you could watch to help understand what features and capabilities there are in the G3X system.

Luckily both Matt and Steve have already recorded some videos to help with this, so I thought I'd go ahead and post them here.

Here is a link to our G3X media site with 9 tutorial videos:
http://www.garmin.com/us/products/intheair/sport-aviation/media/

I was great to meet so many of you in person this last week, and I'm looking forward to officially joining the RV building community a little bit later this year!
-Joe

Welcome to VAF!

Joe,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Good to have you aboard.

What are you looking to build??

RV-7A!

Thanks Mike!

RV-7A is my dream bird. Acro, side-by-side to take my wife and kids up, wheel on the front so I can teach my kids to fly when they are old enough. Picked the 7 over the 14 to help keep things inside my tight budget. :)

I also happen to share an office with someone who is building a pretty incredible RV7 (his name starts with an "M" and ends with a "Burch"), so I figure I'll have some good guidance if I need help.

RVs are such amazing aircraft. I was lucky enough to get the famous "100 thousand dollar ride" in an RV-8A last year, and I've been saving up for my tail kit + tools ever since...

I just visited the Garmin website. Nice selection of videos, and surprise . . . . I see my panel in the custom panel slide show! N226WL.

Thanks for showing it.

Garmin G3X HUD?

I just spent just south of $200 and bought Garmin StreetPilot (for my car) and Garmin's new Heads-Up Display to sit on my dashboard. Is there, by any stretch of the imagination, any potential for some similar piece of hardware for aircraft?

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

While visiting the Garmin tent at AirVenture I spoke with Steve who told me a little about the Takeoff/ Go Around (TO/GA) button on the mock-up panel. I was trying to talk to Crister at the SteinAir booth as well as Steve at Garmin about how to wire this in and how it works. I have a dual screen G3X and a GTN 650 so could Matt, Steve or now maybe Jeff tell me a little more about how this works?

The wiring for the TO/GA button is in the latest manual. It also includes the optional wiring for the GTN.

While visiting the Garmin tent at AirVenture I spoke with Steve who told me a little about the Takeoff/ Go Around (TO/GA) button on the mock-up panel. I was trying to talk to Crister at the SteinAir booth as well as Steve at Garmin about how to wire this in and how it works. I have a dual screen G3X and a GTN 650 so could Matt, Steve or now maybe Jeff tell me a little more about how this works?

Hello Bill,

The following is excerpted from pages 309 and 331 of the current version of the G3X Pilot's Guide:

TO/GA (Takeoff/Go Around) Button

Selects flight director Takeoff (on ground) or Go Around (in air) Mode.

When properly configured with a GTN, if an approach procedure is loaded, this switch also activates the missed approach when the selected navigation source is GPS or when the navigation source is VOR/LOC and a valid frequency has been tuned.

GO AROUND (GA) AND TAKEOFF (TO) MODES

Go Around and Takeoff modes are coupled pitch and roll modes and are annunciated as both the vertical and lateral modes when active. In these modes, the flight director commands a constant set pitch attitude and keeps the wings level. The TO/GA Switch is used to activate both modes. The mode entered by the flight director depends on whether the aircraft is on the ground or in the air.

Takeoff Mode provides an attitude reference during rotation and takeoff. This mode can be selected only while on the ground by pushing the TO/GA Button. The flight director Command Bars assume a wings-level, pitch-up attitude.

A TO/GA button is a feature commonly found on "big airplanes" that we can now have on our RVs too. It's of most use for IFR flying, but I often use it in VFR as well. Simply put, pressing the TO/GA button gives you a wings-level, pitch-up flight director reference for takeoff (TO) or go-around (GA). If you have the TO/GA button connected to your GTN 6xx/7xx IFR navigator, it will automatically sequence to the missed approach procedure of the active flight plan. The pitch attitudes commanded in TO and GA modes are set to 5 degrees nose-up by default, and can be adjusted to suit your aircraft's characteristics.

You can see the configuration and wiring instructions for the TO/GA modes and the TO/GA button in section 17.3.6, 18.3.2.19, and Figure D-1.4 of the current G3X Installation Manual

- Matt

TOGA

Thanks Brian and Matt. I'm working on my instrument rating so this will be a great tool. I can't wait to get it hooked up.

Aural alerts

Been flying with a dual-screen G3X now for about 3 months. One thing that I find a bit annoying are the terrain/sink rate alerts and the inability to easily acknowledge/silence them. Flying into airports like KSZP, which is in a narrow valley, you get constant alerts and it would be nice to easily silence them without having to go to the Terrain page to disable them.

Looking in the revK manual, I see on page 233 that you can press CLR to "acknowledge the pop-up and/or aural alert"...

OK, so I tried that: During/immediately after a terrain alert, pressing CLR on the MFD just does the de-clutter function on the moving map. Tried the PFD CLR button and it does nothing to silence the warnings. Just what function does "CLR" actually do if not temporarily silence the warning?

Heinrich

Hello Heinrich,

Pressing the CLR key while the terrain or traffic alert pop-up map is visible in the corner of the display will silence the alert for 30 seconds, unless another alert of higher severity is generated in the meantime. As you mentioned, you can silence terrain alerts for the duration of the flight with one simple softkey press on the Terrain page. You can also adjust the sensitivity of the terrain and obstacle alerting algorithms to suit your flying style by using the Set Up Terrain menu option on the Terrain page.

- Matt

Hello Heinrich,

Pressing the CLR key while the terrain or traffic alert pop-up map is visible in the corner of the display will silence the alert for 30 seconds, unless another alert of higher severity is generated in the meantime. As you mentioned, you can silence terrain alerts for the duration of the flight with one simple softkey press on the Terrain page. You can also adjust the sensitivity of the terrain and obstacle alerting algorithms to suit your flying style by using the Set Up Terrain menu option on the Terrain page.

- Matt

Matt, thanks for the reply.
Yeah, must be from the higher-severity alert causing a new warning. You'd think that once you silence one terrain alert, if there's another higher-severity one immediately following, the system would be smart enough to know that it's still the original terrain causing the problem, and since I wanted that silenced, then the subsequent warnings should be silenced too.

Flying into KSZP, I get at least 8 terrain warnings. Looks like I'll have to remember to go to the terrain page and disable alerts before I fly into that airport. Having that many alerts in the traffic pattern is more distracting than helpful.

I'll have to revisit my sensitivity settings, but I do remember they are set to be less sensitive than default.

Last edited:
Points of Interest shown

I had an extra SD card that I stuck in my GDU375 PFD to download my tracks. I left it in while I went flying As I got closer to airports and the range zoomed in, I notice that it showed locations of Wal-Mart, and Lowes on my map page.

It turns out that I downloaded several Points of Interest lists (Wal-Mart Lowes and others) onto the SD card which also had an older Garmin road gps mapping program (Mobile XT) and was used on an iPaq.

So, if you have a need for a custom Points of Interest list to display on your map page, the G3X will display them.

I learned something this weekend.
Intergrated AP was jumpy in pitch. I had not noticed this before but I only have 50 hours on the plane.
Thought about it later and re-read the manuals.
It seams I have the Max Speed set at the default 150 kts.
This is a setup feature in the AP setup that will increase pitch to slow the plane if you exceed max speed. I believe the same goes for min speed in that it will decrease pitch if you slow below min speed.
So all I had to do was move the max speed setting in the AP setup to a larger number and now the plane does not pitch up to slow down if I exceed that speed.
Lesson learned.

Hello Mark,

I don't recall off the top of my head if your RV has an integrated third-party autopilot (such as the Trutrak GX Pilot) or if you have the Garmin GSA 28 autopilot servos. In either case, maximum and minimum airspeeds can be configured and the autopilot will do its best to respect them.

If you have a third-party autopilot, you would set up these speed limits using the autopilot's screen and controls. If you have Garmin autopilot servos, these speed limits are set up using the Autopilot Setup page in the main menu, as described in sections 9.12 and 9.17 of the G3X installation manual. Out of the box, a new G3X system will not have any airspeed limits configured, since these values have to be entered by you the user. You can also clear an existing airspeed limit value by hilighting it and pressing the CLR key.

Do note that with either type of autopilot hardware, when the autopilot is trying to limit the aircraft's pitch in order to stay within the airspeed limits, you will see a MIN SPEED or MAX SPEED indication on the PFD display. This is described in section 10.4 of the G3X pilot's guide.

- Matt

Thanks Matt.
It is the integrated, GSA28 and GMC305.
Yes I do see the MAX SPEED indication on the PFD but I did not put 2x2 together when the twichy pitch was happening.
I was sure that the 150kts Max Speed setting was a default in the system that I never changed. Either way I have moved it up to 165kts.
All good now I was just giving a heads up to anyone that may run into the same issue.

G3X getting Tach input from Lightspeed ignition

For anyone that is wiring a lightspeed tach output to the G3X for the RPM display.

The G3X manual calls for a 10k Ohm resistor on the signal pin to ground.

After about 10 hours of replacing resistors, taking all the connectors apart, verifying impedance, and otherwise scratching my head as to why it would not work, I called Garmin tech support. As soon as I told them what the problem was they immediately (without any head scratching) told me to switch the resistor to 2k Ohm, and if that does not work then try 5k, or try putting a variable resistor in and slowly change the resistance until you get a signal.

So I quickly put a 2k resistor in with alligator clips and fired up the engine.
There was the tach signal!

Wish that had been in the manual! So now the information is out of VAF for the next person that has this problem.

Check those GAP 26 (Pitot) Fast-On terminals

The other day, I was getting ready to install my new GAP 26 Pitot and heat controller and noticed the fast-on terminals didn't look like typical aviation quality items. So I did a pull test on each of them and found that the ones connected to the pitot wires shifted a little when pushing/pulling. With a little more effort, the wires pulled out. This probably took 15 to 20lbs of pull.

Looking more closely at the terminal, you can see that there's only an electrical connection crimp, no insulation crimp. Also, the terminal doesn't have a brazed seam or insulation clamping sleeve.

It was a simple matter to cut the wire ends off, strip and crimp on new terminals. Will do the same with the male tabs on the controller wiring after they arrive from SteinAir. I'll have to add insulation (heat shrink) over these non fully insulated terminals.

Better safe...

Stock terminals:
DSC00966.JPG

Terminal dissected:
DSC00967.JPG

New terminals:
DSC00975_lg.jpeg

Thought this may save others the trouble it caused me. When in flight and playing around with the MFD I often use the press and hold CLR option to return to the map screen. A few flights ago, I was flying under a Class B shelf and wanted to see the limits on the next shelf so used the cursor to highlight it. Muscle memory told me to press and hold CLR in order to get back to the map screen. The thing is, when already in the map screen pressing and holding clear does nothing...but pressing clear and releasing it changes the declutter setting. Poof, the bravo airspace disappeared...which was definitely not what I wanted at that point. To get back out of that simply hit clear and cycle through the declutter settings until declutter is turned off. The declutter setting shows in the lower right corner. Seems simple enough, but took me an embarrassing amount of time and a couple of emails/phone calls to the G3Xperts to figure it out.

Fuel remaining

Hey X Team,
One of the features I loved about my "legacy" G3X was "Fuel Remaining" at each waypoint on the active flight plan page. It was always nice to add an additional waypoint onto the flight plan and see if you would have your reserve at current fuel flow and GS.
I don't see "Fuel Rem" as a choice on the flight plan data bar on the new Touch.
Did I miss something?

Hi Jon - We'll make sure that gets added in the next software release.

- Matt

Jon,
Since I have the legacy I won't try to answer your question but will add a little for anyone else.
When on a cross country flight i.e. KOSH this trip and thinking about changing my fuel stop I found it very helpful to use the fuel range ring.
If it is setup on the map setup page it will display a solid green ring for range to empty and a dashed green ring to range to reserve then solid yellow ring when endurance is less than reserve and range to empty.
I could pick a new airport within my dashed green ring and be safe on fuel. Being visual it is even easier to use than entering a new waypoint on the flightplan to check.

While talking about range rings one of my favorites is the BOD - Bottom of Decent ring.
If you set an altitude and you start a decent it will give you a blue? ring showing at what point you will reach that altitude. Very handy when stating your decent into an airport. If your ring shows up after the airport you can increase your decent.
I could not find it in the Pilot Guide so I am not sure of the setup. It may even to TOC but I have not noticed.

While talking about range rings one of my favorites is the BOD - Bottom of Decent ring.
If you set an altitude and you start a decent it will give you a blue? ring showing at what point you will reach that altitude. Very handy when stating your decent into an airport. If your ring shows up after the airport you can increase your decent.
I could not find it in the Pilot Guide so I am not sure of the setup. It may even to TOC but I have not noticed.

On the G3X, they now have the "Green Banana", which does just what you want - it shows where you will intersect your preselected altitude at current descent or climb rate. It is a short arc out ahead of you, not a full circle. Extremely useful tool!

Team X -

Glad you were able to add support for the CO Guardian serial input recently.

Been using it and it works wonderfully!

Marc

A question for G3Xpert, I have set up my two screen G3X with engine data on the top of the PFD, but now want to move this to the top of the MFD Map Page.

Unfortunately I cannot work out how to do this :confused:

Where do I find this in the install manual or the POH. Thx.

A question for G3Xpert, I have set up my two screen G3X with engine data on the top of the PFD, but now want to move this to the top of the MFD Map Page.

Unfortunately I cannot work out how to do this :confused:

Where do I find this in the install manual or the POH. Thx.

In a two screen system with one configured as PFD1 and one configured as MFD, the EMS data should automatically move to the MFD screen. This is the normal operating mode.

In the event that the MFD goes offline, the reversionary mode kicks in and it will move back over to the PFD.

I would double your mode selection jumpers to ensure they are correct for each screen. Page 19-7 in the current install manual.

Also check out pages 21-23 in the latest Pilot's guide.

In a two screen system with one configured as PFD1 and one configured as MFD, the EMS data should automatically move to the MFD screen. This is the normal operating mode.

In the event that the MFD goes offline, the reversionary mode kicks in and it will move back over to the PFD.

I would double your mode selection jumpers to ensure they are correct for each screen. Page 19-7 in the current install manual.

Also check out pages 21-23 in the latest Pilot's guide.

Thanks for the help. I downloaded the latest G3X Install Manual Rev M, but the page 19-7 only forces the MFD into Reversionary Mode.

The MFD has the normal engine page at the end of the menu of pages, then I found in the setup pages that it was possible to have engine info at the top of the PFD.

Later I found others have the engine info at the top of the map page on the MFD, and that this info includes fuel flow.

So I am trying to move the (abbreviated) engine data to the top of the MFD page, but have not worked out how. I downloaded the latest G3X Touch POH and see on page 24 it refers to how to move EIS to the MFD. I will try that tomorrow.

BTW, my manuals are about two years old and are Rev F. New manuals are for the new G3X Touch.

Thx for the input :)

Last edited:
Hello Chalkie,

The G3X installation manual (rev M as of this writing) contains guidance for installing both the G3X and G3X Touch systems. The latest G3X pilot's guide (rev K) contains information for normal operation of your G3X system.

The setting you are looking for is "EIS Display Location", which can be found on the Display Setup page and on pages 60 and 61 of the current G3X pilot's guide. If you do not see this setting, consult section 27.4.10.2 of the installation manual and be sure that the corresponding "EIS Display Location" setting in config mode is set to "User Selected".

- Matt

Back