What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT probe calibration / Flightdek 180

HansR

I have overheating problems with my O-360.
Probably due to airflow issues, but I just want to make sure the CHT readings are correct:

Is there any calibration of the CHT probes? Or is it just bolt on and the readings should be correct?

High CHT

Hans, there is no need for probe calibration. Assuming your baffling is good then I ask what is your fuel flow at max power (sea level) on take off ? It should be around 66L/ hr. If not then the jet size in the carby needs to be bigger, a ?shop? can do a flow test & do any jet reaming as required.
HTH

Hans, there is no need for probe calibration. Assuming your baffling is good then I ask what is your fuel flow at max power (sea level) on take off ? It should be around 66L/ hr. If not then the jet size in the carby needs to be bigger, a ?shop? can do a flow test & do any jet reaming as required.
HTH

Yes, fuel flow is about that.
Guess I need to work a bit on the baffles. Found a thread describing the same problem.

Hans, if you just need to see the CHTs indicate thru your 180 then remove the prob and place it in a container of boiling water and see if it indicates 212 F . Cooking Oil if you want to go higher.

Hans, if you just need to see the CHTs indicate thru your 180 then remove the prob and place it in a container of boiling water and see if it indicates 212 F . Cooking Oil if you want to go higher.

Thanks. Good idea.

Unfortunately I am now rather convinced it is a baffle design problem, as many others seem to have that.

Back