What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Gear, need a shim? Right tire more worn then left

JFCRV12

Well Known Member
Hi gang,

First, I know I can check with the new toe in/toe out part - C-1211, but my new to me RV-12 did not come with it. So, string method may be my option. Dave G has offered to take a look and help, but I also thought I'd post to share my experience and see what the collective experience here thinks as well.

My airplane (and tires) only has about 90 hours on it. I've put 11 of them & 23 landings. No idea of the # of landings before me. But, my right tire is worn considerably more than my left. Here are a few pics. I know I can break the wheels and reverse the tire to even the wear a bit before replacement.

But, this wear seems excessive for only 90 hours and the unevenness vs. the left has me wondering if I'm out of alignment. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Right Tire from Front: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atwwakv8E39y1IQFbIfOw45n2IGVYQ

right%20tire%20from%20front.jpg

Right Tire from Rear: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atwwakv8E39y1IQMJtglHalKtmW82Q
right%20tire%20from%20rear.jpg

Left Tire from Front: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atwwakv8E39y1IQGl9EUPMnsQqRJqg
left%20tire%20from%20front.jpg

Left Tire from Rear: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atwwakv8E39y1IQOLq0VZpwoso4vpA
left%20tire%20from%20rear.jpg

Undercarriage from Rear: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atwwakv8E39y1IQL71d9D6RdJdwBnA
undercarriage%20from%20rear.jpg

Undercarriage from Front: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atwwakv8E39y1IQRp6i3dS8yt87vFg
undercarriage%20from%20front.jpg

Thanks!
John

Attachments

• right tire from front.jpg
    right tire from front.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 194
  • left tire from front.jpg
    left tire from front.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 165
  • undercarriage from rear.jpg
    undercarriage from rear.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 155
  • undercarriage from front.jpg
    undercarriage from front.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I am guessing it has something to do with flying solo and landing solo, most of the time, vs with the weight of a passenger on the right hand side, doing something as to how it doesn't load up the suspension as much, or keep the alignment correct.

My plane has the same wear pattern, outer right tire.

When I first met the owner of N836BL, he had just changed out his tires with the same wear pattern as you exhibit. His plane had 120 hours on it, spent mostly flying and landing solo. Lots of 20 to 24 minute flights. He now has 260-270 hours on the plane, 95% of those new hours with me as a ballast passenger, and he doesn't have any exhibited tread wear like that on his tires, since he started taking me flying.

I know it's just one example, and I can't prove it, but I suspect it's not an alignment problem.

Last edited:
Interesting thought. And it makes sense. Although it’s a bummer to see tire wear like that so quickly.

Interesting thought. And it makes sense. Although it’s a bummer to see tire wear like that so quickly.

Get some replacement big thick 2 groove tires, if they work for you, and maybe rotate main wheels, left to right, and right to left, while repacking the grease in the wheel bearings?

Be sure to press and pound out the brake rotors off of the rims internal hub with a rubber mallet, before changing out the tubes and tires on those rims, if you decide to rotate the tires on the rims for more usage.

Yep - flip tires is definitely the plan. And ultimately get better tires when needed. Just didn't know if I had an alignment concern as well.

Wearing of the outboard portions of the RV-12's main tires appears to be a characteristic of the landing gear's geometry. On my RV-12 I typically fly about 150+ hours on a new set of Aero Classic tires before I have to reverse the tires on their respective rims. I then fly another 150+ hours before I need to replace the tires with a new set. So, overall, I am getting about 300+ hours out of each set of main tires flying off of a paved runway. The left and right side wear patterns are very consistent. As you might anticipate the nose tire shows little if any wear. You can certainly recheck your toe-in/toe-out but I suspect that you will find the wear pattern I noted above to be characteristic of the RV-12.

Thank you and agree. Do you also see the right tire wearing much more than left tire? And if so, is most of your flying solo?

Wearing of the outboard portions of the RV-12's main tires appears to be a characteristic of the landing gear's geometry. On my RV-12 I typically fly about 150+ hours on a new set of Aero Classic tires before I have to reverse the tires on their respective rims. I then fly another 150+ hours before I need to replace the tires with a new set. So, overall, I am getting about 300+ hours out of each set of main tires flying off of a paved runway. The left and right side wear patterns are very consistent. As you might anticipate the nose tire shows little if any wear. You can certainly recheck your toe-in/toe-out but I suspect that you will find the wear pattern I noted above to be characteristic of the RV-12.

Most of my RV-12 flying is solo off of a paved runway. My left and right tire tread wear patterns are very similar and balanced. From looking at your pictures it sure looks like your left tire is newer than your right tire?

I guess I’m just lucky because I never went through the alignment checks.i just had faith in the Mother Ship and put everything together per the KAI. Eight years later at 980 hours I am getting about 450 hours per main tire with even wear. I’m still on the original nose tire and it looks almost new. Like they say: it’s better to be lucky than good any day!

Tire wear - -

I believe tire wear is based upon weight. If you fly solo mostly, the left tire will have more weight and will stay 'stuck' to the surface more/better. The right side will be lighter and be more prone to wear if any type alignment issue. That's my story - - - - -

That's a conclusion I'm starting to reach. I do fly mostly solo, but left tire is just barely worn (makes a bit of sense since it's only 90 hours old). The right is same age be worn quite a bit more. I ordered the Vans C-1211 Alignment checker. Net, I'll be checking and fixing any alignment issues once that arrives.

I believe tire wear is based upon weight. If you fly solo mostly, the left tire will have more weight and will stay 'stuck' to the surface more/better. The right side will be lighter and be more prone to wear if any type alignment issue. That's my story - - - - -

I do notice that my left tire seems to wear faster than my right, and I usually fly solo, but given that the fuel tank is on the right side I would think the off axis weight of fuel vs. pilot would minimize the effect.

Back