What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B NO RADAR

I have that on mine. I do not use the Dynon transponder which is why it is displayed per tech support. Do you also have an "other than Dynon" transponder? If so, yours is just like mine. It only has to do with traffic and not being able to as easily eliminate own ship. It does not affect the display of weather. All the weather displays work correctly.

He's getting intermittent traffic, even from air to air.

I met up with him from about 5 miles away Saturday and never showed up as an alert or otherwise on his ADSB.

However, he is broadcasting, I picked him up no problem.

New to him 14 from the west coast, Synergy build.

I have that on mine. I do not use the Dynon transponder which is why it is displayed per tech support. Do you also have an "other than Dynon" transponder? If so, yours is just like mine. It only has to do with traffic and not being able to as easily eliminate own ship. It does not affect the display of weather. All the weather displays work correctly.

This is what @skysailor is talking about:

49987923678_530afb0707_c.jpg

The ground-basedADS-B system is reporting that it does not have your airplane in radar contact, or that your system is not seeing the ground station reporting your airplane is in radar contact. Although you are receiving ADS-B traffic from other ADS-B equipped aircraft, you may not be receiving all detectable traffic because you maynot be currently in a radar service volume and ADS-B service volume. Therefore, the traffic portrait may be incomplete.

Yep, this is directly from the Skyview User's Manual.

Imagine that.

I do have the Dynon SV-XPNDR-261/262 Dual Band ADS-B transponder system installed in my RV-14. It may be a system setup issue that I am unfamiliar with. I do have a call into Dynon Avionics Tech Support for another issue and will post what I find out from them. Thanks for your response.

Gary

Is the ?No Radar? alert always showing, or is it intermittent? If it?s intermittent, it may mean that you?ve flown into an area that radar does not reach. In the Los Angeles area, I get ?No Radar? when flying in the area around Camarillo, but the alert goes away when I get closer to Santa Monica.

I've always seen it intermittently in remote areas like Moab to Albuquerque last weekend. Not much out there. Full Dynon system.

The ADSB No Radar will always be displayed in the box on the map screen if you do not have a Dynon transponder providing ADSB out. Good ground coverage or not, it will say the same thing. Display of weather through your ADSB 472 module is not affected.

The ADSB No Radar will always be displayed in the box on the map screen if you do not have a Dynon transponder providing ADSB out. Good ground coverage or not, it will say the same thing. Display of weather through your ADSB 472 module is not affected.

The OP stated (in a later post)

I do have the Dynon SV-XPNDR-261/262 Dual Band ADS-B transponder system installed

I don't know what a "dual band ADS-B transponder system" IS, exactly, but I think what he's saying is he has a 261 (the high power XPDR) and the dual-band ADS-B *IN* module.

This is what DYNON support replied about this question on their forum:

"It's admittedly a US-centric message, but it essentially means that whatever traffic picture you're receiving isn't including ATC radar-derived targets."

Makes sense. :cool:

"It's admittedly a US-centric message, but it essentially means that whatever traffic picture you're receiving isn't including ATC radar-derived targets."

Well I just learned something. It really looked like it was related to ads-b graphical weather.

Well I just learned something. It really looked like it was related to ads-b graphical weather.
But, it makes sense...
If you are not in the ADS-B coverage area, i.e. not in range of a Ground Based Transceiver (ADS-B ground antenna, GBT) then you won't get RADAR targets (ADS-R) or weather (FIS-B) on your "in" system.

But, it makes sense...
If you are not in the ADS-B coverage area, i.e. not in range of a Ground Based Transceiver (ADS-B ground antenna, GBT) then you won't get RADAR targets (ADS-R) or weather (FIS-B) on your "in" system.

No, that?s not the message. He is getting wx - look at the ?age? on the wx radar, it?s only a few minutes old. But he?s below ATC radar coverage, so the ground station cannot send him radar traffic, since he?s below coverage.

RTFM
read the factory manual.

5. SV-ADSB-470/472/472 with No RADAR (ADS-B reception, but without ground ADS-B station coverage or radar target inclusion).

So in remote areas of the USA where there is no uplink radar traffic available from the FAA, you will get this message. The rest of the world, like down here that is always the case. Naturally enough.

Any traffic you see with be ADSB emitting traffic only. So if there is a Mode C target near you, you will not see it at all because the FAA rebroadcast is not sending you any mode c targets, so be aware of what you are getting. You will not get Mode S only targets either.

Hope that clears that up for y'all.

ADS-B No Radar

Bob,
You are correct, the radar image is only 3 minutes old. You mentioned that I may be below the radar coverage area, but I was just outside Birmingham, AL at 9000?. I would be surprised if I was either below or outside of a coverage area or beyond ground station coverage. I will follow up at the first opportunity with more information. Thanks for the response.

Gary

You should ask them if "radar derived targets" means aircraft that are not broadcasting ADS-B out. As I understand it, "radar derived" means aircraft with mode-C out only, that are detected by secondary radar.

If you're seeing "NO RADAR" all the time, and you have the Skyview ADS-B receiver and the Skyview Mode-S transponder, it could be as simple as an error in the setup menu.

You should ask them if "radar derived targets" means aircraft that are not broadcasting ADS-B out. As I understand it, "radar derived" means aircraft with mode-C out only, that are detected by secondary radar.
That is what DYNON stated in their post.

These is the only aircraft data the FAA transmits to you via the ADS-B ground station(s). That is why you must have a properly configured ADS-B OUT so the FAA knows which aircraft you receive directly and which you need sent to you. A very "unique" method of reducing the amount of data they have to transmit.

:cool:

Back