What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 330 ES + 530 W - Interconnect issue

tectweaker

Well Known Member
I am finally getting to ADSB compliance and having an issue with getting ADSB working.

Garmin 330ES - Swapped from a 330 I had by my Local Shop

Garmin 530W - Updated to latest software by my Local Shop

We (with a A&P Friend) installed one wire from 530W -> 330ES (PIN 60 out to PIN 22 In) - Using the unused TAWS connecter

Setup the 530W for ADSB OUT + on COM 5
Setup the 330ES - RS.- COM1 IN to Remote; EMS - Enable; ADSB TX OUT - Enable; Sensitivity IE7

However, booting up - we get a NO ADSB on the top left corner

Any other settings that I need to look at - I am going to look at wiring again next....

It is also important to have ALL of the ADS-B fields configured in the GTX 330ES.

Customers contact us frequently with the "NO ADSB" error only to find that they have not completed the configuration.

Thanks,
Steve

Gps lock

The issue persists with gps lock.

What other adsb field settings need to be done g3expert on the 330? Beyond the ones I listed above ? Any guidance there would be appreciated?

You have a TAWS capable 530 but aren't using that feature? So you might have to go in the Main System Config page and select "none" in the Config field so that no terrain functionality is configured. The pinout for the device suggests that GPS on the serial line might be when TAWS goes unused.

Also it should be a shielded single wire with ground terminated at the 530 (not sure about the other side don't have that manual). YMMV with a bare wire.

Might be better to use RS232 3 or 4 on the main connector.....

Last edited:
Serial 4

I am thinking to try serial 3 or 4 on the 530w.

Perhaps the taws connector does not produce any output. The local shop suggested to go with com 5 because it would it would be easier.

I am planning to swap the pin from taws connector serial 5 to serial 4 on the main connector on the 530w in a day or two.

I verified the wires are crimped properly etc and have continuity.

Does anybody know if the taws b serial does not work if it is not powered etc?

It is few hours of work to open the back of the pane and swap this pin so just want to make sure that I am not missing anything.

I am thinking to try serial 3 or 4 on the 530w.

Perhaps the taws connector does not produce any output. The local shop suggested to go with com 5 because it would it would be easier.
Hello tectweaker,

The "ADS-B OUT+" setting on the GNS 530W port 5 and "Remote" setting for the GTX 330ES input as you specified in your original posting should be correct.

I re-checked the GNS 530W installation manual, and there is no restriction mentioned on using port 5 for this function.

The latest software for the GTX 330ES is V8.04. What is this unit using?

When you look at the RS-232 input page on the GTX 330ES, are you seeing it receiving lat/lon from the GNS on port 5 when the aircraft is outside and the GNS 530W has a good fix?

Feel free to contact us directly with your questions.

Thanks,
Steve

530W ADSB-OUT +?

Friends,
I'm helping a friend configure his 530W with 330ES but on his 530W he don't have this ADSB-OUT+ option, only ADSB-OUT.

When ADSB-OUT is selected and REMOTE on the 330ES, after few minutes on the top LH Corner shows "NOADSB".

Any idea? :confused:

530W using pin 58 RS-232 output (ADSB-OUT selected)
330ES using pin 22 RS-232 input (Remote selected)

He has to take his 530W to a Garmin dealer and get his software updated. I forget the year, but software older than about 2018(?) won’t have ADSB+ listed as an RS232 format.

Friends,
I'm helping a friend configure his 530W with 330ES but on his 530W he don't have this ADSB-OUT+ option, only ADSB-OUT.

When ADSB-OUT is selected and REMOTE on the 330ES, after few minutes on the top LH Corner shows "NOADSB".

Any idea? :confused:

530W using pin 58 RS-232 output (ADSB-OUT selected)
330ES using pin 22 RS-232 input (Remote selected)

Sounds like the GNS 530W software is too old. See this posting for both GNS and GTX software versions.

https://vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=884276&postcount=27

Steve

Software update

I did not close on my initial post.

Bob is right software needs to be updated as well.

I had mine updated but the dealer forgot to update the gps software which caused the whole issue.

If you update the software - please note that there are two software updates - one for the gps and one for the unit. The dealer needs to update both typically unless one of them was already updated.

I think you are hitting one of the areas I seem to be encountering with my GNS430W documentation. Since the unit is older its hard to find documentation on some of these newer features.

Having said that... The installation manual seems to only show an ARINC connection between the GTX330 and the GNS430/530.

For my GNS430W to GTX335 I have both the RS232 and the ARINC interfaces connected.

I'm not to the point of powering everything up yet so I can't give you any actual data from experience.

Ray, your older manual is showing the arinc connection which is used for transmitting the older TIS-A (?? Not sure of the achronym) traffic info from the transponder to your 430W. The adsb required gps data goes over rs232 from your 430W, format ‘adsb+’, to the transponder.

Edit added: btw, Garmin gives the dealers 430W software updates for no charge. Dealers are free to charge whatever for their labor. This is one area where you can save a few $$ by shopping around. Savings to be consumed by more av gas, of course!

Last edited:
Bob, I think my software should be up to date for now. I had Pacific Coast do a bench test and software update since I have an eBay purchased unit.

I’m just connecting all of these interfaces. I don’t want to later have to add one once my panel is installed.

You guys Rocks!

Sounds like the GNS 530W software is too old. See this posting for both GNS and GTX software versions.

https://vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=884276&postcount=27

Steve

Thank you all for the replies on this. You guys spot on about the SW Version. Look below:

VLphLq0h.jpg

I'm going to tell him about the update that needs to be done.

Great community. :D

I’m just connecting all of these interfaces. I don’t want to later have to add one once my panel is installed.
One thing I wished I had done with initial wiring would be to have installed a few pig tails on unused rs232 ports. When it came time to wire up adsb data from the gps I found myself upside down under the panel wishing I had three hands.

This process of wiring up the radio stack seems difficult enough with it sitting on my bench. Removing the backing plates, connector strain reliefs and connector shells while upside down is something I'd prefer not to experience. I guess only time will tell if that works out for me.

Does anyhow know what if any audio comes out the AUDIO 1 output? It isn't described anywhere in the old installation manual. My plan right now is to hook it up for the previously mentioned reasons to one of my unswitched audio inputs.

Last edited:
GNS 430W Manual

This process of wiring up the radio stack seems difficult enough with it sitting on my bench. Removing the backing plates, connector strain reliefs and connector shells while upside down is something I'd prefer not to experience. I guess only time will tell if that works out for me.

Does anyhow know what if any audio comes out the AUDIO 1 output? It isn't described anywhere in the old installation manual. My plan right now is to hook it up for the previously mentioned reasons to one of my unswitched audio inputs.

Ray,

Please feel free to email us at [email protected], and we can send you the latest revision of the installation manual for any of the equipment you have installed in your panel.

Are you referring to the Audio Output 1 on the GNS 430W?

Thanks,

Justin

GNS 430W Pin Assignment Audio Output

Justin,

I actually sent an email already but didn't hear back yet. My email is [email protected] if it got lost.

Yes that is that output. It is shared with the alternate TAWS audio function.

Ray,

The Audio 1 Output is for use with HTAWS systems only. You will not need to connect anything to those pins.

Thanks,

Justin

Back