What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A wing installation - done but OMG! "W.O.6."

charosenz

Well Known Member
As the title of the post goes. OMG.

I think there are two kinds of people on earth. Yes, only two. Ones who have installed the wings on a "6" and those who haven't. The ones who have are either crazy, super human or have a sadistic twisted desire to hurt themselves. Probably all three.

There were a few times I just say "NO WAY" can I get THAT nut on THAT bolt!. But after a few choice words, and go for a short walk, I did get it done. It can be done.

For those who have done it. We need to form a club so we can pat ourselves on the back and puff our chests and wear a stupid T-Shirt that says something like. "Wings on 6". "W.O.6" or something.

Thats my rant!

I'll buy one. Size: large, Color: red, with pocket. (Blood from skinned knuckles doesn't show on red fabric. And, the pocket is for various tools like a magnet on a stick to recover dropped nuts and punches to drive out stripped bolts.)

I have nightmares about forced landings and having to remove the wings to get my 6A back to an airport. John

Mine have not yet been fitted, but I am committed, I am hoping that the main and rear spars align between fuse and wings when the time comes!!

I’ve put them on a 6A. And then I took them off. Now to put them back on this fall. I’ll be glad when it’s done!

Kids these days with their -7/7A’s, -9/9A,s and such. Builders were BUILDERS back in the -6/6A days.....:p

It was a big day for me when my wings slide into position with a perfect fit, but my wings are never coming off again!!! 😎

Terry

I have always said, I would sell my 6A if faced with the prospect of removing the wings. Suppose it didn't help that I had to do the install work on the ramp in the middle of August.

Larry

I was amazed at my buddy, who helped me assemble the wings twice in December in an unheated hangar (this part of Arizona is just a few miles from a ski resort; 90 degrees is a record hot day in summer). The first time was so I could fit the root fairings; then the wings had to come out so the nutplates could be installed. Both times it was cold components, cold hardware, and cold wrenches. We'd do a few bolts and then stop to get feeling in our hands again. As I said, I was amazed at my friend. I, at least, had the motivation of wanting to get the plane done.

Edit: Yes, there was snow on the ground...

Kids these days with their -7/7A’s, -9/9A,s and such. Builders were BUILDERS back in the -6/6A days.....:p

6/6A builders just get to practice with more bolts to finally call the job done.

7A, 9A, & 6A builders have very similar challenges getting nuts & bolts in around those landing gear weldments! After which you should have a collection of about 6 uniquely modified wrenches (cut/ground/bent) you hope to not use again soon (don't throw them out!).

The -6A wing install is God's way of punishing those who put the tailwheel on the wrong end.

Back