What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seats from Germany

Side Panels Orderd

I have ordered side panels only for my RV7A. Seems legit. Quoted 3 weeks to make and 2 weeks for delivery via DHL. I will provide feedback as I have it.

I am working with him. He is a great guy and his work is top notch.
D

Maybe it's just me, but these side panels look like exact copies of the ones designed and produced by Classic Aero.

Imitation maybe a sincere form of flattery, but I personally have issues with companies that copy the hard work of others.

Hope I'm wrong on this, but I've seen it elsewhere in this industry (thinking RV-10 air conditioner).

I'm personally not familiar with his work, but he is popular with the Zenith crowd, and they seem very happy with his work.

Everything he is doing for me is built from scratch so I wouldn't throw him under the bus.

All I can say is that he has been great to work with and he has been very accommodating with me and my 6A.

Will see when the finished product arrives. TBD

Maybe it's just me, but these side panels look like exact copies of the ones designed and produced by Classic Aero.

Imitation maybe a sincere form of flattery, but I personally have issues with companies that copy the hard work of others.

There isn't a whole lot of space to work in for the side panels so it's not surprising that products end up looking similar.

But, looking at the pictures of both I find it a big stretch for you to use the words "exact copies" :)

There isn't a whole lot of space to work in for the side panels so it's not surprising that products end up looking similar.

But, looking at the pictures of both I find it a big stretch for you to use the words "exact copies" :)

Well maybe not "exact", but similar enough that I'd bet he used the Classic Aero side panels as a pattern.

Still wrong in my book.

Their pricing looks great. I emailed them this morning for pics of the seat foam they do to compare it to other companies and also if they can do sheepskin. Within an hour he emailed back with pics and that they have 18 colors of sheepskin. He had to check on a price for it though. Sure wish I could sit in one first, but whatever company I get seats from I'm most likely not sitting in them before buying. From the pics on their site everything looks really nice. Looking forward to more reviews though.

Well maybe not "exact", but similar enough that I'd bet he used the Classic Aero side panels as a pattern.

Still wrong in my book.

Did you see in the pics he has an RV interior mockup with seat backs and cabin walls. Most likely used that to design it.

Question..... are the -14 seats the same as the -7 or -9? Some of the interior suppliers have not added the -14 to their catalogs yet.

They seem to have a very nice selection of materials and colors with good pricing. I have an email in to get in on the 15% package discount going on until the 15th of this month, (its on the Home page) and FREE international shipping with the purchase of a full leather interior would also just about cover the upgrade to full leather.

It's a small market, where do you draw the line?

Still wrong in my book.

Guess that would mean that only genuine Lycoming engines should be used, not the Barrett/Titan/Lycon/whatever variation...

-Marc

Not even close

Guess that would mean that only genuine Lycoming engines should be used, not the Barrett/Titan/Lycon/whatever variation...

-Marc

Companies like ECI/Titan and Superior spent millions developing production methods, buying equipment and obtaining PMA's for their parts. Barrett builds engines using parts from these manufacturers (including Lycoming) and probably spent a good bit developing their unique cold air sump.

To me, this is a lot more like the Chinese stealing IP and copying it.

I've watched Luke and Jeremiah develop interior components. It's expensive and time consuming. I've seen some of the other suppliers interiors and they are different from the Classic Aero stuff - even though the planes are the same.

I have a Classic Aero interior on my RV-7 and believe the German interior is too similar to be a unique design. Some of you have no issue with this and that's fine. I simply disagree with that.

Panels

Well they?re leather panels over a shaped fuselage. They?re bound to be similar. I find all the companies similar but I?ve had amazing customer support from classic aero including some suggested custom work that I then stopped pursuing for personal reasons. I?ve used classic aero on all my airplanes and love it. It?s always good having options and bet this guy worked his a$$ off coming up with a package.

There is nothing worse than working hard to provide a product and people accuse you of copying. Just make your own purchase decision.

Agreed. How much different can they look? How many ways can you make an interior?

Hopefully good quality

For us in Europe it is refreshing to find someone supplying seats and interiors for RVs. For us in Europe the costs of getting Classic Aero products is very expensive so when I was told about this firm I jumped at the chance.
This guy only supplies 2 models at present RV 7 & 9 along with other European aircraft.
I ordered a full interior in December and by the look of the the photos he has sent of a finished seat I don't think I will be disappointed. Expecting delivery end of the month or so.

Asked him to upholster my RV-8 Van?s foam seats, No problemo! Will box them this week and send them to Germany, exciting to see the results later..
Alot cheaper for myself living in Sweden.

Side Panels - Arrived and look great!

My side panels came in from Germany late last week. They look great and the workship is top notch. I installed them in my RV7A today and they fit perfectly. I would definately order from the again.

My side panels came in from Germany late last week. They look great and the workship is top notch. I installed them in my RV7A today and they fit perfectly. I would definately order from the again.

That's great to hear. I received sheepskin and leather samples from them this week. The leather is actually the same used in BMW and Mercedes. I'm most likely ordering seats and interior soon.

I placed my order for a full leather interior last week. I was told that it would be 5-6 weeks before they start on mine due the amount of orders they received during the 15% off special they were running. Excellent communication so far and I am looking forward to delivery.

It's great to see suppliers for experimental aviation here in the EU. It is so much easier to order and ship! No struggle with transatlantic shipping, customs and VAT.
I'd love to have a Van's and Cleaveland-Tools warehouse within the EU.

Top notch

Received my seats and interior a few weeks ago and extremely pleased as to fit and quality.
For anyone in Europe you won't be disappointed as the costs are extremely competitive and you won't have those expensive shipping charges a taxes.
Well pleased and awaiting manufacturing supply dates for other items.

Received my seats and interior a few weeks ago and extremely pleased as to fit and quality.
For anyone in Europe you won't be disappointed as the costs are extremely competitive and you won't have those expensive shipping charges a taxes.
Well pleased and awaiting manufacturing supply dates for other items.

Very interested to hear how supportive and comfortable the seats are. Can you give some info on them?

I went for full memory foam seat bases and when I trial fitted them they felt quite firm as it was cold in the hanger and they are leather.
Suspect that they will be fine when it is warmer, or in use.
Bought them early as I couldn't resist competitive price.

I went for full memory foam seat bases and when I trial fitted them they felt quite firm as it was cold in the hanger and they are leather.
Suspect that they will be fine when it is warmer, or in use.

I also went with full memory foam cushions as well. They become hard and cold like sitting on cement when it gets cold. I ended up putting Flyboy Accesories seat heaters in the bottom cushions, between the first and second layers of foam. Works great to both soften and warm the cushion!

Al

Seat back height

Anyone have any thoughts on the three different seat back heights they offer? Think the high back or head rest back will interfere with shoulder harnesses?

Anyone have any thoughts on the three different seat back heights they offer? Think the high back or head rest back will interfere with shoulder harnesses?

I went with the low back seats to make it easier to reach in back during flight in case I need to get something back there. Flight bag, sandwiches, beverages.

I'm leery of the full memory foam option because of the hardness of the seats. I just want to make sure the regular seats are comfortable and supportive. I'm not doing heaters and am going sheepskin. I like the look of the higher seats but also wonder about the access to the back.

Went for the ones with headrests but after test fitting with tip up roll bar in place I think rear access will be compromised a little with canopy closed. Just have to plan before flight!!!

Went for the ones with headrests but after test fitting with tip up roll bar in place I think rear access will be compromised a little with canopy closed. Just have to plan before flight!!!

I think the pilot should be able to reach the stuff behind the co-pilot and vice versa, right? So when you fly with 1 pax you should be fine?

I just got pics of my interior from Lemke and it looks awesome. They arrive in about 3 weeks. looking forward to getting them in my hands and installing them. I went with the highbacks as I prefer the headrest for long flights.

As stated in the past, Rob has been amazing to work.

I really need to figure out how to upload pics on here....

D

Last edited:
I ordered my interior from him last week. Wasn't sure how the stitching would look with the colors I picked so he's going to do a few samples and send me pictures using the stitching colors so I can decide. I can't wait! Communication has been awesome. I chose sheepskin for the seats but I will have leather side panels. It will kind of be cool saying my Interiors from Germany using BMW leather! I'm definitely building an international airplane since I'm getting things from all over the place.

For the RV-14 ... they where using a real RV-14 as pattern!

I'd make a bet that he used an actual RV-7 as a pattern...:)

Just to give some real information here:

Two from Lemke themselves where last week for two days in Switzerland, they visited a RV-14 project and made forms and took patterns.

Also in Germany there are a few RV-7 around ...

PIREP: I got my interior in today for my 6a and I can?t get the grin off my face. It?s beautiful! The fit and finish are top notch. I would use rob lemke again on my next interior project in an instant.

RNNth2

24XC1rK

Mention my name to Rob Lemke and get a discount on your order.

Last edited:
DMat,

Now that they're installed, what are your thoughts about access to the baggage compartment, and does it interfere at all with the shoulder harnesses?

Thanks,

Tom

If I did it again, I would have opted for no headrests. Getting into the baggage is harder. The harnesses haven't been a problem so far. I though they would be but I'm not having any issues while flying. With all this said, I am going to speak with Rob and see if we can modify the headrests to change my mind of keeping the headrests. I will post pics once I have some mock ups.

D

I would go with normal height seats if I had to pick between the two. But, like I said, I am working with Rob to come up with a compromise to allow the best of both worlds. Convenience of the short seats but still have the headrest.

Dan

Dan,
I'm assuming you have received your seats by now. Did you incur any import duties on your order? How much was the shipping?

Charlie

Back