What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal induction oil sump

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang: Forgive the none RV question, but I?m hoping to tap the brain trust here. Can someone educate me on a horizontal oil sump?

What I have in mind is an O320 mounted in an Osprey 2 aircraft (pusher configuration) so that the intake would be pointing forward in the aircraft. I?d like to find a part number for one that would work for me.

I see a few variations on E-bay, but they are listed as O-360. Not sure if they would be the same bolt pattern as the O-320 or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lycoming-O...osition-Intake-Carb-or-Injection/382734878367

thanks Terry

The 320 and 360 parallel valve Lycoming engines use the same gasket.

What will be different are the intake tubes going from the sump to the cylinders.

Sump

All Twin Commanches used aft mounted injector. IO 320 B and C series engines. You should be able to find one of these in a salvage yard.

Rear Induction Sump Available

Hi Terry,

I have a rear induction sump and induction tubes that were removed from my Lycoming IO-360. They are all in good condition. I will leave it to you to determine if the sump will fit your needs. I will sell for $500 + shipping. PM me if interested.

Sump 3

Sump 4

Sump 2

Sump 1

Sump 5

Are you going fuel injected or carbureted? The sumps are different between each, due to a difference in the mounting bolt pattern of the carb or fuel injector. Don't remember a horizontal carbureted 320, maybe there was one but doesn't come to mind. But there were definitely o-360 and io-360 that used what would be a rear facing profile in a non pusher configuration and the sumps on them were different as mentioned above.I suppose you could fabricate some kind of adapter plate to modify a horizontal carbureted 360 sump to a horizontal IO-360 sump and vice a versa, if you got hold of the wrong one but not sure if it would be possible and not have a conflict with the bolt patterns for the servo or HA-6 carb. In either case the mounting pattern of the sump to the engine crankcase halves and accessory housing is the same for an 320 or 360 sump, so that area will always match up regardless of engine type. A few o-320 models have a different oil pick up and accessory housing due to it but the bolt pattern to the crankcase and accessory housing would still fit on a 360 crankcase.

Good Luck,
Mahlon

Are you going fuel injected or carbureted? The sumps are different between each, due to a difference in the mounting bolt pattern of the carb or fuel injector. Don't remember a horizontal carbureted 320, maybe there was one but doesn't come to mind. But there were definitely o-360 and io-360 that used what would be a rear facing profile in a non pusher configuration and the sumps on them were different as mentioned above.I suppose you could fabricate some kind of adapter plate to modify a horizontal carbureted 360 sump to a horizontal IO-360 sump and vice a versa, if you got hold of the wrong one but not sure if it would be possible and not have a conflict with the bolt patterns for the servo or HA-6 carb. In either case the mounting pattern of the sump to the engine crankcase halves and accessory housing is the same for an 320 or 360 sump, so that area will always match up regardless of engine type. A few o-320 models have a different oil pick up and accessory housing due to it but the bolt pattern to the crankcase and accessory housing would still fit on a 360 crankcase.

Good Luck,
Mahlon

Airflow Performance sells all kinds of adapters to solve many issues. Ask Don Rivera to help you find a match. He can probably tell you what sump will fit your engine as well.

Rear inlet sump

I have a couple of very good condition/used rear inlet sumps that were used on Twin Comanche’s with IO-320-B1A engines. Also have the angle adapter that goes between the sump and the fuel servo. Will sell these parts very reasonably. Photos available.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Last edited:
Horizontal oil sump

OK, thanks for the information.

I will be going to look at the Osprey 2 towards the end of July. If I buy the plane I will be in touch with you about the sumps offered.

I have the EFII electronic fuel injection on my 6A and I’m really pleased with it. I will set the Osprey up the same way. There are different throttle body sizes available so I’m sure we can find one to fit.

Cheers Terry.

Last edited:
Back