What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A JCarne

Yes I have the Nova 4000 rpm, think I got it from Cleaveland. It's not a keyless chuck though, I would be very curious to try one tho because having to deal with the chuck all the time is a real drag!

Kent what do you mean inside? I just want to point out that if it's inside the cabin (aka on top of the 772 forward bottom skin) that would be a big big no no. Dan H has pointed out that this stuff smokes a lot when heated up and you certainly don't want that in cabin. I think however you probably meant under the skin but on top of the new skin and I just didn't understand properly. :)

I guess you are correct on that I thought I read and reread all that but I was going to put it sandwiched between the forward bottom skin with an additional skin over that, not per plans. I am buying about 0.50 or so to get my size 6 feet up on the pedals a little more.
I watched all his tests and didn't think this one burned ie. smoked...

I guess you are correct on that I thought I read and reread all that but I was going to put it sandwiched between the forward bottom skin with an additional skin over that, not per plans. I am buying about 0.50 or so to get my size 6 feet up on the pedals a little more.
I watched all his tests and didn't think this one burned ie. smoked...

Interesting, I just remember him saying at one point don't put anything on the cabin side of the firewall since most things emit smoke when heated up that high. I think he was particularly talking about this stuff...

It's kind of hard to follow now thanks to them photo hosting websites that now want money.

Is that final color on some of the panels? Crazyness!

I am sure you don't put nonfire barrier on the firewall.

I am sure you are correct but I remember this stuff, in particular, being a no no:

soundproofinstall.php

Is that final color on some of the panels? Crazyness!

I am sure you don't put nonfire barrier on the firewall.

I am sure you are correct but I remember this stuff, in particular, being a no no:

soundproofinstall.php

Oh ya, that stuff would be a disaster on the inside if it ever heated up.

Final color indeed, I'm going with the gray color as well as black on some various parts.

haha thanks guys! Today finishing up all of the priming and painting I felt like one...

I finally got all of the parts primed. I owe a big thank you to Mr. Alumiprep and Mrs. Scotchbrite. :)

20180729_153556 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20180729_153552 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I have been using JetFlex solvent based. I really like the stuff as it is super easy to spray, I have not had a single run in anything. This stuff is definitely easier to spray than Akzo and it aint hard to spray either.

20180729_165339 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Parts are finally painted, now for the devinyling, dimpling and assembling. Man that black looks insanely cool!

20180729_171901 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Last edited:
After a very long day deburring holes and dimpling skins it was time to start putting things together. My riveting buddy is headed to the mountains on Thursday so we are going to try and get it all pounded and flipped by then. Here we go!

Started today by finishing up some riveting on the aft fuselage and putting some things together.

20180730_203505 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Ya we tried both ways awhile back and he is better at holding the bar square and I'm better at listening to the rivet knowing when to stop.

Ya we tried both ways awhile back and he is better at holding the bar square and I'm better at listening to the rivet knowing when to stop.

This is interesting. I have yet to let anyone buck or drive any rivet on my project. But I know soon the parts are going to to be big enough so that I will need an extra hand... I read most people let "the help" drive the gun. I just could see that going horribly wrong if they were to let the gun walk away...

also it took me forever to "hear" the rivet say "I am done... Stop hitting on me":D

Last edited:
This is interesting. I have yet to let anyone buck or drive any rivet on my project. But I know soon the parts are going to to be big enough so that I will need an extra hand... I read most people let "the help" drive the gun. I just could see that going horribly wrong if they were to let the gun walk away...

also it took me forever to "hear" the rivet say "I am done... Stop hitting on me":D

Get a person good with detail hand movements, ie. my 17yr old video addict.
Suberb with the gun. Only one minor mishap in hundreds of rivets.

Here is my rivet buddy, he is a bit older now. Graduated from water balloons to rivet gun.

42886905445_6ca9128640_c.jpg

Get a person good with detail hand movements, ie. my 17yr old video addict.
Suberb with the gun. Only one minor mishap in hundreds of rivets.

Here is my rivet buddy, he is a bit older now. Graduated from water balloons to rivet gun.

42886905445_6ca9128640_c.jpg

haha very cool guys. At first I had him on the gun awhile back and he just couldn't quite figure out when to stop, most of the time he wasn't hitting it long enough. Now with him on the bucking bar I can hear the rivet and we can really cruise through a line in no time. It does make me laugh though as he still checks every rivet with the gauge. He has only slipped off a rivet twice so far, no big deal as the damage wasn't bad at all. Plus I have only had to drill about 10-15 rivets this whole time.

I have also found that the two of us get better results than if I were doing it myself, hard to keep the bucking bar square while also paying attention to the set walking.

Do you guys use a swivel set? I love that thing, it doesn't hit quite as hard but is very forgiving. I have no smileys on the project.

Lynn glad to see your still around man! Hoping to see some build updates from you sometime.

I'm still around, just took a break from building for a little bit. I purchased this old girl:

rDNts9Qh.jpg

And I haven't had much time to work on the build. I've bene spending a lot of free time at the hangar cleaning, fixing, and playing around with the avionics on the Cardinal 177RG.

But, I am planning to get back to work on the RV-7 in a couple of weeks.

I'm still around, just took a break from building for a little bit. I purchased this old girl:

rDNts9Qh.jpg

And I haven't had much time to work on the build. I've bene spending a lot of free time at the hangar cleaning, fixing, and playing around with the avionics on the Cardinal 177RG.

But, I am planning to get back to work on the RV-7 in a couple of weeks.

Very cool Lynn! Reminds me of the 172RG I used to train in. I loved flying that plane... Made me feel like a real pilot with constant speed and retracts. Congrats on the purchase.

Decent! That is '80's talk for really good.

43837461942_86802b61da_m.jpg

So I need a math guy out here Carne. I have a few angles I have to calculate to figure out why things are the way they are.

It appears there are a few of the hypotenuses'ess that are not equa-parallel.

You know math stuff like you do...

On to installing a bunch of little things on the fuse. First take: it's fun. Second: it's a lot harder to reach things now but I refuse to build a rotisserie. haha

Time for some leveling.

20180807_133548 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20180807_152027 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Then the canopy decks.

20180808_160828 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20180807_153445 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Some firewall gusset action. Watch that edge distance, easy to get it on these guys.

20180807_180019 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Seat belt anchors. Van's breaks edge distance here so that the washer and nut can sit flat on the longerons.

20180808_120005 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After doing the elevator bellcrank it was time from some priming and painting.

20180809_074817 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

wow

Great job on the progress.

You and I started the fuse at the same time, but now you have blown by me, you are so far ahead its like proof of the Doppler effect.

But please keep posting. You are really helping me. After reading your posts, it is almost like I am doing everything for the second time.

158 hours working in one month? Holy ****. That's insane. Machine machine machine! Looks great.

Thanks Steenos!

Great job on the progress.

You and I started the fuse at the same time, but now you have blown by me, you are so far ahead its like proof of the Doppler effect.

But please keep posting. You are really helping me. After reading your posts, it is almost like I am doing everything for the second time.

John thanks for posting, I am really glad that my posts are helping you out, that is really the reason I keep posting so much here. Trying to give back a little. Keep up the good fight!

In retrospect ....

.... were I to build another one, I would definitely build a rotisserie. Over the entire built it is both a timesaver and a backsaver. :)

Well school is back in session so looks like my progress will slow down a bit. Oh well, still trying to work on the plane every night. After riveting some things like the top deck and gussets it is time to work on the top skins.

20180815_191842 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also made what I am assuming is a boo-boo but I have an email into Van's to see. I trimmed the aft end of the top j-stringers as all the other ones were trimmed on both ends the same way. After putting them in it appears that this bulkhead faces the other way and could be inserted without trimming. The riveted area will still be the same but I removed some of the support material. We will see what they say.

Here is a shot of what I'm talking about.

20180815_173925 (1) by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After reaching out to Van's about the accidental trim they said no problem at all and build on!

After match drilling the top skins I decided to work on installing the steps before moving to the baggage area. The steps aren't as difficult as I thought they were going to be but still time consuming since you have to do the on off shuffle quite a bit.

I can't get the rivet layout that the drawing specifies due to the massive weld Van's uses now. I backdrilled two holes in the plate that coincide with two existing rivets in the F-724 baggage ribs. One of them is close to the weld, I may have to grind it ever so slightly so that the rivet head sits flush.

20180818_202021 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The back of the plate also gets a quite strong bend inward to follow the fuselage.

20180818_202015 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Looks pretty sweet!

20180818_202004 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Well believe it or not I haven't been just sitting around. The top skins are almost ready to be riveted on and I have been steadily working towards finishing the interior area.

20180905_185726 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

As you can see I made a small boo-boo on the forward left seat hinge but I think it will be no big deal. I'll either make it one long hinge or grind the two eyelets off at a later date, very carefully...

Last edited:
Got the seats mostly installed. All I have left on them is to upsize the holes to #30 and they are ready for deburring.

20180913_185625 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also started working on the center cabin cover assembly. Only to realize that I don't have what I need because the parts come with the fuel injection boost pump...:mad: Idk why I thought it would come with the fuselage kit. Looks like I'll be placing an order soon.

20180914_174455 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The black looks dope dude!

Machine!

Thanks man! I was wanting to paint some more things in there the black color but I was afraid that the high wear of some of the areas would make wear marks really stand out compared to the grey.

Well not a lot to show as I have mainly just been deburring stuff. Finding some more Akzo has been tough, UPS managed to completely trash a shipment from ACS and they are now out of stock. Ended up ordering some from Graco despite their ridiculous $250 minimum. Oh well, maybe having an alodine pen too will be useful.

Anyways, I have been taking care of all kinds of other tasks since I can't prime and paint. I'm waiting on a few shipments from different places to keep the ball rolling. In the meantime I installed the vent lines inside the cockpit. Turns out spending 4 years doing HVAC paid off since I used to bend tubing all the time. I may try and tighten up two of them bends but we will see, looks pretty good so far.

Here are some pics from my latest endeavors.

20180923_115741 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20180925_181616 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20180928_172523 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20180928_182915 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Well not a lot to show as I have mainly just been deburring stuff. Finding some more Akzo has been tough, UPS managed to completely trash a shipment from ACS and they are now out of stock. Ended up ordering some from Graco despite their ridiculous $250 minimum. Oh well, maybe having an alodine pen too will be useful.

Anyways, I have been taking care of all kinds of other tasks since I can't prime and paint. I'm waiting on a few shipments from different places to keep the ball rolling. In the meantime I installed the vent lines inside the cockpit. Turns out spending 4 years doing HVAC paid off since I used to bend tubing all the time. I may try and tighten up two of them bends but we will see, looks pretty good so far.

Here are some pics from my latest endeavors.

44262695724_f3102e7cfa_b.jpg

Jereme, Before you drill the holes for that stick bezel, space it up for the thickness of the boot or the holes for the angle portion will be offset.

Well these two pictures may not look like much but it took me about 5 hours to get this guy in. I had to drill some holes, do some countersinking and the likes. One more to go, hopefully I'll get it knocked out tomorrow.

Also, glad I am posting these pictures because now I see I missed two bolts. :D

20180929_184708 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20180929_184727 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Well after getting the left landing mount installed in significantly less time than the right it was time to move on. My primer shipment didn't make it by the weekend so I had to change plans. I decided to install the engine mount and start working on all the brake/rudder stuff. Things seemed to turn out good and it was pretty fun too! :)

20181006_123513 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20181006_171057 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20181006_171049 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20181006_193202 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Well I got the brake lines temporarily fitted. Now I need to sort out the finer details of how to tidy things up. I thought about braided lines for about 5 seconds but then I saw the cost of them and I know too many people that have had good experiences with the plastic so this is the route I'm taking.

20181007_140656 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Keep it up

Jereme,
Seeing your strong progress is a constant motivator for getting me out to the hangar, and for that I thank you. As others have mentioned, your work looks great and your progress is impressive.

Back