What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Canopy Lock Official Release

Aircraft Specialty

Well Known Member
Aircraft Specialty is VERY EXCITED to announce the release of our Aftermarket Canopy Handle with integrated locking mechanism.

This has been a project that has been in the works for approximately two years. It has undergone beta testing and we currently have approximately 15 units in the field. Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and we have made small refinements in the design over the past two years to bring this finished product to you.

If you go to www.aircraftspecialty.com, you will find more pictures of the unit as well as a detailed installation manual.

We also designed this unit in a unique fashion for ELSA builders. It is advantageous to have this handle on hand when doing your canopy installation, even though you have to utilize the stock vans handle for initial certification. There is more information in our installation guide.

We absolutely love building, innovating and designing new products. But, we couldn't do it without the help of our beta testers in the field who provide very valuable feedback to us. I would like to thank Dave, Jesse, John and Ken for their help with the initial beta testing and installation images.

We look forward to working with the RV community and continuing to innovate with new designs.

Please reach out to us with any questions that you have.
Steve
Front%20page%20canopy%20lock.jpg

Aircraft Specialty's canopy lock is a winner!

I?ve been waiting for the official release of Aircraft Specialty?s RV-12 canopy locking system to post comments about the canopy lock. I had received one of the prototype units and promised Steve I would not post anything on the forums until the official product release.

Aircraft Specialty?s RV-12 canopy lock is a slick, eloquent design that is simplistic, easy to install and easy to use. The lock assembly and associated hardware is nicely machined, beautifully powder coated and complete with stenciling. It just looks great!

The production version utilizes a different locking pin receptacle than the prototype had (which could be locked accidentally by just pressing down on the locking plunger). Steve sent out the new version of the pin receptacle to replace the older version. The current production version of the pin receptacle has a safety feature that prevents accidental lockouts from occurring. This was accomplished by the addition of a spring loaded pin in the pin receptacle that prevents the locking pin in the canopy lock from entering the pin receptacle far enough to lock. Now accidental lockout is a nonissue because it requires two simultaneous actions to lock the canopy latch handle. To lock the canopy, the spring loaded pin attached to the pin receptacle needs to be pulled outward while simultaneously pressing down on the plunger in the lock ? very slick!

I?m very pleased with the canopy locking system and would recommend those considering a canopy locking system for their RV-12 to give Aircraft Specialty?s solution a close look.

One question

I generally think this is a pretty slick design. The only concern I would have is that it appears you can lock things without the key, by pushing a couple of buttons. I'm wondering, could someone push the buttons and lock you in the cockpit? (Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!)

I generally think this is a pretty slick design. The only concern I would have is that it appears you can lock things without the key, by pushing a couple of buttons. I'm wondering, could someone push the buttons and lock you in the cockpit? (Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!)

Rob and all. This is an excellent question. We will have more pictures and video of the receptacle lockout mechanism in operation eventually, but we are awaiting some better pictures/videos from customers who have them installed.

You will be able to lock the aircraft without a key. However it will require pulling and holding out the lockout pin while simultaneously pushing down on the lock mechanism.
lockout%20receptacle%20vaf.jpg
The lockout pin is quite small and in this picture has not been threaded into the receptacle fully yet. But, essentially you will have a spring loaded pin that blocks the receptacle from access by the lock. The knurled knob needs to pulled and held outward which clears the hole to allow you to press the lock mechanism in.

This eliminates any potential inadvertent locking of the canopy. MOST IMPORTANTLY, it eliminates the possibility of a misguided and wayward bird form thinking your shiny new handle is a tasty treat and pecking it closed accidentally.

I do like when you wrote "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!" There is truth in that. If someone knows that you have this lock, knows how to use it, and then decides to walk up to your airplane with you inside, reach up and lock you in, my suggestion would be to strongly evaluate your base of friends! :):):)

Hope that information helps. Initial response to this release has been very positive and we look forward to hearing from everyone after installation. We will do our best to monitor this thread and answer questions. Or, you can always email us at [email protected] for a quicker response.

Steve

Yes - But it would be intentionally

Is it possible to get locked in? Yes.

But that said, it would be an INTENTIONAL malicious act. The spring loaded pin that prevents the lock plunger from dropping into the pin receptacle MUST be pulled and held outward with one hand, while simultaneously pushing down on the locking plunger with the other hand.

I plan on keeping a spare key in the glove box which could be passed through the air vent should such an unlikely event occur ... then pick better "friends".

I like it, but there are scenarios where you can lock yourself out. I put a desk lock on the fuselage with a hooked lever that engages a slot in the canopy rail. I have to have the key in hand to lock it, so there is no chance of ever locking myself out unless I lose the key!

My friend has an SLSA RV-12 with an expensive dual G3X system. He doesn't leave his plane on any ramp overnight because he can't lock the canopy. Granted a determined thief would break a canopy, but at least a lock on an SLSA would deter some. I don't understand why Vans has not put a lock on the canopy.

I like it, but there are scenarios where you can lock yourself out. I put a desk lock on the fuselage with a hooked lever that engages a slot in the canopy rail. I have to have the key in hand to lock it, so there is no chance of ever locking myself out unless I lose the key!

All designs have trade offs. With this canopy handle lock, you don't need a key to lock the aircraft. If you did lock both your keys into the aircraft, the handle can be removed utilizing certain tooling. I won't describe the process on a public forum. But, I think a crook with a drill and a bunch of tools would raise suspicion while he was trying to enter your aircraft. If you lose the keys with a desk lock on the fuselage in the locked position, you may damage the aircraft while trying to get in.

I guess the key (no pun intended) with any lock mechanism is to not lose the key and to have a spare key. If you have a key, there is no way to get locked out of the aircraft.

Hey Honey, I mean't to come home earlier but someone locked me in my RV-12 and I had to go flying instead:p

For those of you who would like to pursue this option, we will sell the old style receptacles and provide a pdf of fbo phone numbers to arrange for a line guy to "maliciously" lock you in your aircraft so you have no option but to go flying! :):):)

Looks like a fancy key - how difficult to get spares?

It is possible to get keys duplicated at certain key shops that do tubular key duplication. We have not attempted to do this locally, but an internet search shows that there are companies that do this. This is not something that we have the capability of doing in house.

Hope that helps,
Steve

When I put my desk lock in I decided to get some extra starter keys and canopy lock keys.. I was not expecting that the starter key is easily duplicated, but the canopy lock (aka desk lock) was not available! If I lose my two canopy lock keys only Black and Decker can help me!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have an update on the web site for this product already.

Schmetterling Aviation has added a blog post to their website. This is in addition to the blog post already done by Dog Aviation on this product.

Dave was kind enough to take a video of the new lock with the lockout mechanism which can be clearly shown in the video on the website. It shows the dual action locking process required to lock the canopy.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-12.html

If the new video doesn't display on the website, please make sure you have cleaned out your internet cache and try again. Otherwise a direct link to the youtube video can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt_cTaYkwuA

For all of you who have already placed orders, you should have received tracking information. They are shipping out tomorrow.

Take care and please contact us with any questions,
Steve

Relative lack of ability to get spare keys is a very serious issue for me.
I would be reassured if the unit was supplied with 4 keys from the start, so I can be assured of spare key in a safe place.

We feel it is very important to be adaptive and responsive to the needs of our customers. Regarding the key option. We elected to only offer the two key option to keep pricing down. We are also mimicking a lot of the industry standard which typically sends out two keys with a lock set. Some of these keys are easily able to be duplicated, while some are very difficult.

I spent a fair amount of time with the factory today working out a solution. Here is what we came up with. These keys are able to be duplicated, but there are not many locksmiths than can do it. This makes this type of key very secure, but difficult to duplicate.

Our website has been updated and all orders going forward will have to make a decision on whether they would like to order two keys or four. The cost of two extra keys is $19.95. Due to logistical reasons, and factory order minimums, this decision will have to be made at the time of purchase of the canopy lock. We won't be able to order individual spare keys in the future, because of factory order minimums. If a customer desires more keys, they will have to utilize a locksmith to duplicate them. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL HANDLES WILL CURRENTLY SHIP WITH 2 KEYS ONLY. THE EXTRA TWO KEYS (IF ORDERED) WILL SHIP IN APPROX 8 WEEKS WHEN THEY ARE RECEIVED.

For those customers that only want 2 locks, the pricing will remain the same until we run out of locks with only two keys. Then, the pricing will increase and the 4 key lock will be the only option available. This will correspond with the end of our introductory canopy lock pricing.

All existing customers of the locks will be receiving an email shortly from us since you have already ordered your locks. You will be able to order two existing keys if you would like to. Follow the instructions in the email or contact us with any questions.

Thx,
Steve

Steve
Great customer focussed response.
Congratulations on a responding to the desire from many for a canopy lock.
John

Steve
Great customer focussed response.
Congratulations on a responding to the desire from many for a canopy lock.
John

John and all.

Absolutely. We are here for our customers and like to try to accommodate all requests that we can. I wanted to let this sit for a few days and see how actual sales came in. It is just about split down the middle. Sales have been very strong with about 55% purchasing 4 keys and 45% purchasing the two key option.

At current rates, we anticipate that the two key option will be available for another 8 weeks at which point we will be out of inventory and swap over to the 4 key only option for all future locks

Steve

My friend has an SLSA RV-12 with an expensive dual G3X system. He doesn't leave his plane on any ramp overnight because he can't lock the canopy. Granted a determined thief would break a canopy, but at least a lock on an SLSA would deter some. I don't understand why Vans has not put a lock on the canopy.

My RV-12 conveniently also has this feature built in. Locks in from the Longeron on the pilots side to the canopy rail.

Back