What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dab marks

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
It's about 30 degrees or so in ye olde hangar and the sun hasn't been out all month so it's a good time to polish.

Something weird happened, though. I'm using Nuvite F7 and, as usual, wet finger and then dab it on the aluminum, about every 3 inches or so over a two-foot square area.

Then I moved the polish around with the rotary buffer wool and then start it and do my polishing thing.

Oddly enough, the dab marks are still there. They appear to be very tiny scratches but, curiously, the polishing does not remove them, or remove them much.

I'm compounding so I switched to the C grade and that doesn't take them out and, finally, using the cyclo machine and some cottonfleece, I finish off with Grade S.

Now I don't want to say these things are marks are showing up brightly, but they're, you know, there.

Has anyone ever encountered such a thing and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the temperature of the aluminum?

Back