VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-28-2020, 11:06 PM

Default GPS175 install questions

Tonight I'm reading through a GPS175 install manual to wrap my head around the wiring requirements, which means...questions. Oh yes indeed.

Brief overview of my intended installation: EFIS will be a dual Skyview HDX system with the ARINC-429 interface box. The GPS will also be providing serial data to the Skyview transponder and an Artex ELT. No other Garmin stuff installed anywhere.

First, regarding the pinouts: it would appear that out of this monster 62-pin connector, I really only need a small handful of connections:

Code:
p#	description
20	ground
21	+12V
41	ground
42	+12V

61	ground (enable auto power on)

9	serial 1 out (to SV-ARINC-429)
8	serial 2 out (skyview xpdr)
7	serial 3 out (ELT)

5	ARINC 429 out 1A (to SV-ARINC-429)
6	ARINC 429 out 1B (to SV-ARINC-429)
27	ARINC 429 in 1A (to SV-ARINC-429)
28	ARINC 429 in 1B (to SV-ARINC-429)
This seems like a comically small usage, but most everything else seems like it'd pertain to driving analog instruments like a CDI. Does this seem right at a glance? Am I missing anything important?

Second, and sort of springing off #1, there are four pins for a "config module." Is this something required for all installations? Is this module included with the unit? As in, do I even have to care about this?

Appreciate any info.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/

Last edited by N546RV : 06-29-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:59 AM

The config module is included with the GPS 175. It will be physically located in a special holder that is part of the metal backshell assembly of the large connector for the GPS unit. This module will contain all the uniqueness of the installation that you will program into the module at power- on time.

The Dynon ADHARS module provides altitude info to the Dynon transponder. I believe the Dynon install manule shows an example of the wiring for a Garmin GPS navigator using the a serial line and the -429 interface module.
flying
Old 06-29-2020, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the info.

To clarify a bit, the GPS175 will be providing certified GPS data to the transponder for ADS-B Out compliance. This is mainly because I picked up an older SV-250 GPS puck for dirt cheap. Gotta save $$$ somewhere on this build...anyway, that's the reason for having a serial connection to the transponder.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 AM

Default Email please

Quote:
Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
Tonight I'm reading through a GPS175 install manual to wrap my head around the wiring requirements, which means...questions. Oh yes indeed.

Brief overview of my intended installation: EFIS will be a dual Skyview HDX system with the ARINC-429 interface box. The GPS will also be providing serial data to the Skyview transponder and an Artex ELT. No other Garmin stuff installed anywhere.

First, regarding the pinouts: it would appear that out of this monster 62-pin connector, I really only need a small handful of connections:

Code:
p#	description
20	ground
21	+12V
41	ground
42	+12V

61	ground (enable auto power on)

9	serial 1 out (to SV-ARINC-429)
8	serial 2 out (skyview xpdr)
7	serial 3 out (ELT)

5	ARINC 429 out 1A (to SV-ARINC-429)
6	ARINC 429 out 1B (to SV-ARINC-429)
27	ARINC 429 in 1A (to SV-ARINC-429)
28	ARINC 429 in 1B (to SV-ARINC-429)
This seems like a comically small usage, but most everything else seems like it'd pertain to driving analog instruments like a CDI. Does this seem right at a glance? Am I missing anything important?

Second, and sort of springing off #1, there are four pins for a "config module." Is this something required for all installations? Is this module included with the unit? As in, do I even have to care about this?

Appreciate any info.
Phillip,

Send me an email to hr2plt@yahoo.com, and I will send you a document that I made up with the complete wiring you need with pictures of the SkyView and Dynon configuration setups.

Brian

Last edited by Pdtofly : 06-29-2020 at 07:24 AM.