What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have pics of Ipod mounts?

glfrdug

Well Known Member
I searched through the forums and found many threads about Ipods, but did not find any pics of them mounted on panels or elsewhere.
Before fabbing up a mount I wondered if anyone could post an image of how they mounted and where they may have mounted one.
Thanks in advance
Doug

Ram Mount

Doug

I used a ram mount from Ram Mounts. They make everything you need to mount anything you can think of with a ram type mount. You need a ball mount for the panel and one for the back of the ipad holder then a clamp that you can tighten up to hold it in the position you need.

FinishKit%20932.jpg

FinishKit%20933.jpg

Holds good and tight and its mounted right above my aux power so I use a dual USB charger for IPAD and Stratus from ship power. Also can charge up the Iphone if needed.

I used a ram mount from Ram Mounts. They make everything you need to mount anything you can think of with a ram type mount. You need a ball mount for the panel and one for the back of the ipad holder then a clamp that you can tighten up to hold it in the position you need.

Holds good and tight and its mounted right above my aux power so I use a dual USB charger for IPAD and Stratus from ship power. Also can charge up the Iphone if needed.

Great set up Daryl. Man, you are ready to rock & roll. You can go anywhere with that combo. The capability of the 396 & iPad is really quite awesome.
Cheers,

Ipad Mount

Thanks Deal for the compliment. I noticed you are in George West. I grew up around Corpus and Beeville. My dad was in the Navy so growing up in South Texas I did alot of hunting around those parts.

I see you have a 4. I am helping a friend build his 4 but he took a break to finish up a Kitfox. He had a 6 before and I think he wished he didn't sell it.

Thanks!
Daryl

RAM mount endorsement

Doug:

Mine is also a ball mount on the panel; the iPad offsets my all-analog panel.

I am concerned ;) that when I start flying with a right-seater, the location (below the map box, in front of the passenger) may be too much of a temptation for the passenger to read, watch videos, check email...

thanks guys

I will look into the Ram Mounts.....Will need to see if they have one that will fit my small ipod, the website was not clear.
Doug

I don't have a pic (yet) but I am not using the RAM "universal finger mount" for my iPhone. I like it because it can be adjusted for almost any case you might have on your iPhone / iPod.

I initially had it on a ball mount. Once I knew I was not changing its position or orientation, I removed the ball from the back of the mount and cut a spacer - then attached direct to the panel. This keeps the mount very close to the panel and has less vibration.

I did cut the "fingers" down to be just longer than the depth of the iPhone case.

This is not a very good picture that was taken with my iPhone. I used a RAM ball mount. I used one of the bolts that holds the windscreen frame to the longeron to hold the RAM ball.

iPad%2520installation.jpg

This position gives the all glass panel a wrap around feel.

I will look into the Ram Mounts.....Will need to see if they have one that will fit my small ipod, the website was not clear.
Doug

Just went through this with RAM for my iPad mini. The only thing they currently have is the spider or finger mount. They are predicting a case mount in February.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I just finished putting together my ram mount system last weekend. It is exactly what i wanted but man it was expensive- 2 mounting balls at 10$ a piece, the iphone holder itself was 12$ and then the shortened ball holder that holds everything together another 10$ so i got a nice setup to hold my iphone now for 40-50$ ouch.

the ipad mounts look great on this thread. i gotta clear up some space in my panel so i can do that at some point.

Ram Mount

Here are a couple photos of the Ram mount for my iPad Mini. I used the X-Grip II mount with the adhesive base and double ball socket arm. I was out of space on the panel so I actually stuck the base to the glove box door. I can easily move it out of the way to get into the glove box. It's probably not a great option if you get into your glove box all the time, but I don't.

RamiPadMount_zpsa6335f01.jpg
RamiPadMount2_zps72b809ed.jpg

I really like the X-Grip type mount because I can leave my case on the iPad. I simply fold the cover over, squeeze the mount grip and it's on. I take it out of the airplane every time I fly so it's very convenient. The arm allows for easy positioning or rotation as required.

It was a little cool out when I mounted it, so I heated up both the mounting base and door with the heat gun some first to make sure it got good adhesion. I was concern with the sticking power of the adhesive but it's on there really well. And, there are no holes if I need to remove it in the future.

I think it would have worked to also attach the mount on the underside of the glareshield as well, hanging down and out.

The cost for this mount with mounting base was all of about $50. I ordered it on-line, direct from Ram and received it within a day or two. Great service.

I Pad Mount

I mount mine on a mini table slanted at about 30 degrees up connected to my armrest. (my own design, between the seats) It is higher than a knee-board, but below the panel and convenient for touch functions.
Great for approach plates and moving map... also out of the sun.
Jim
RV-9A
300hrs.

POD not pad

Let's see if I can help Doug out a little bit...

He is looking for an iPOD mount not an ipad mount. You remember those things, they are small, about the same size as a cell phone, or smaller, and only hold music, don't you?

Doug, AirGizmos made one iPod mount.

Let's see if I can help Doug out a little bit...

He is looking for an iPOD mount not an ipad mount. You remember those things, they are small, about the same size as a cell phone, or smaller, and only hold music, don't you?

Doug, AirGizmos made one iPod mount.

Okay, isn't a iPOD about the same size as an iPhone. Once again the Ram mounts work great. Same adhesive mounting base with a little different holder option. I tucked this one off to the side with it stuck on the end of the glareshield. Out of the way and close to power jack.

RamiPhoneMount2_zps02cd4d04.jpg
RamiPhoneMount1_zpsece8d5f5.jpg

Bill you made me laugh

Bill,
Thanks for the comment above....I love the things I see, but I was thinking the little music devices. I am still on a budget and have an old looking panel. SImple evening flights along the shore with good music, that is the mission for now...THanks for all the posts guys but the little Ipod was the thought behind the thread.

I have to tell a little story here. I was at Oshkosh about 4 yrs ago and as I was about 10 ft away from my 8, I saw a young man look in, call his buddy over and say " Look at this panel, it has all those old round guages, can you believe that". I stayed back and had a good laugh.
I have all round in mine.....only my portable 496 that is in storage while at Osh.
Doug

Hello

Thanks Deal for the compliment. I noticed you are in George West. I grew up around Corpus and Beeville. My dad was in the Navy so growing up in South Texas I did alot of hunting around those parts.

I see you have a 4. I am helping a friend build his 4 but he took a break to finish up a Kitfox. He had a 6 before and I think he wished he didn't sell it.

Thanks!
Daryl

Hi Daryl!

Sent you a pm. :D
Cheers,

Back