What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedals position

fdeppieri

Hi all,

I have a question I did not find anywhere.
At the moment I installed the rudder pedals (Control Approach) and I'm going to create the short steel linkage
with the rudder cable.

I see that the pedals seems to stay not in vertical position but a little bit back.
If I connect the cable, the length of the linkage can change a lot depending by the absolute position of the pair of pedals.

I mean, If I'm driving the pedals during flight usage, my feet are placed on them and so they pull the cable and the situation is ok.
But if the pedals stay in rest, the cables do not stretch and the pedals move on the same direction together (back).

I'm thinking to put a short mechanism to fix the possibility that both pedals together can move back.

What do you think about ?

thanks a lot
Francesco

When the rudder cables are attached to the pedals in whatever position is called for, then if one pedal is pressed then the other pedal must come back toward the pilot. So it’s not possible for both rudder pedals to, as you say fall forward..... together

When the rudder cables are attached to the pedals in whatever position is called for, then if one pedal is pressed then the other pedal must come back toward the pilot. So it’s not possible for both rudder pedals to, as you say fall forward..... together

Forward, no. But aft, yes. This is because the left and right cables are independent, not in a loop.
To the OP: If I move the rudder back and forth by hand, during pre-flight, I may notice the pedals are a bit aft when I get in. In flight I never notice, even if my feet are flat on the floor. I suspect the weight of the pedals, combined with engine vibration, keeps them from moving up and aft. Certainly you very quickly get used to the system. When rigging the system you want the base of each pedal, with rudder neutral, to be aft of the pivot point. Makes it less likely that pilots with big feet will accidentally push the brake.

Hi all,

thanks for the suggestion.
I’m going to complete the system to keep both pedals in position.
Because Control Approach pedals have the master cylinders on the back, the idle position is worst than the standard one.
I added a couple of small pulleys on the opposite side of the cable (near the firewall) and it works perfectly.

Regards,
Francesco

Back