What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Install

Foam-the-runway

Hello...I'm new to the experimental/building world but have been a licensed pilot and GA owner for a while. I'm interested in starting a RV-8 build. I don't forsee any major problems in tackling the frame work, wiring or avionics install. I'm having prebuild anxiety when it comes to the engine install though. I know how an engine works and do limited work on my own vehicles and owner/operator maintenance on my plane.
Does the Vans documentation walk you thru an engine install. I anticipate I will be putting out a SOS to the local EAA chapter from time to time and you guys. Thanks in advance to any advice given.

Welcome aboar)

The official welcoming committee will be along shortly

(Always fun when chance to go first arises)

Not to worry,.... by the time rolls around to work the engine,... you will have plenty of experience trying this and that and looking through the prior posts on the subject. If you are still stumped,...just have to ask the brain trust,....

What Mr. Goodloe said. You'll have plenty of time to worry about the details. We all do it somehow. The important thing is to just get started.

Welcome to VAF (beat Mike!).
The kit documentation is pretty good at covering engine installation. There is no information at all with regards to engine overhaul, if that's what you were thinking. And minor stuff, like ignition timing, is left to you (there's plenty of help just here on VAF). Not to say it isn't important. There's an active thread about how some builder screwed up the installation of an after-market electronic ignition, in place of a mag, and was lucky that an internal gear that was left inside, unsupported, did not come loose and trash his engine. And several airplanes have had accidents due to lack of attention to detail, e.g., oil and or fuel hoses installed but never tightened properly, incorrect sealants applied incorrectly on fuel lines, etc. So you do need to be careful. But the average person should not have any trouble with these things, you just can't rush thru them.

Hello...I'm new to the experimental/building world but have been a licensed pilot and GA owner for a while. I'm interested in starting a RV-8 build. I don't forsee any major problems in tackling the frame work, wiring or avionics install. I'm having prebuild anxiety when it comes to the engine install though. I know how an engine works and do limited work on my own vehicles and owner/operator maintenance on my plane.
Does the Vans documentation walk you thru an engine install. I anticipate I will be putting out a SOS to the local EAA chapter from time to time and you guys. Thanks in advance to any advice given.

Welcome!

Believe me you will have plenty of time and opportunity to bone up on engine installation before you get to that point. Make sure you get connected with other RV types in your area and the local builder's group / EAA chapter if there is one; going and seeing everyone else's project in whatever state is the best way to build up that knowledge and confidence. Following various threads on this forum is another. Also consider picking up some texts like Tony Bingelis' Firewall Forward, available from EAA. Also the EAA webinars by Vic Syracuse and Mike Busch are really helpful especially for pointing out what kinds of things to watch out for; the're archived on the EAA website.

You have a fun road ahead of you.

Last edited:
First time builder here...

I had the same worries/anxieties as you. As it turns out, the engine installation was one of the easier tasks of the entire build. You’ll be fine.

Do it like Van's says

If you follow the excellent guidance of Van's, your engine installation will be safe, perform well, and be a very enjoyable part of the build. If you can resist the temptation to make things "better", you'll get it done very quickly and painlessly.

Agree with Steve T above. The engine is pretty simple. Few hoses and wires to hook up. The fuel tanks in my opinion are more difficult. I was pretty stressed about the engine as well. Piece of cake

Amazing that our (semi)official greeter hasn't chimed in yet. Anyway, I can't speak for others, but I found the avionics to be the challenging part. The engine install on my -6A was a piece of cake. Now, you can make things complicated if you want but the recommended engines are pretty easy to work with.

Also, I suggest you find a copy of the Tony Bingelis books. They're pretty pricey even used but well worth it. Many of your questions will be answered in the two volumes on engines.

You won't have any trouble. There is plenty of support. I'm doing my second engine install right now (not an RV) and the worst part is just figuring out where things go and how long to order the hoses. The Van's kit all but eliminates this problem, unless you start getting creative.

I'm in Waller if you need any help just drop a line. There's lots of help in the Houston area. Watch the South Texas forum here for notices on a lunch that we try to have once a month.

You sound a lot like me, I think - I'm extremely comfortable wrenching on cars/motorcycles/etc, so that sort of abstract mechanical aptitude is there, but it's just a different world in the aircraft business. The one thing I'll say is that you'll have plenty of time to absorb information while you're working on the airframe, and through connections like your local EAA chapter, you can likely have the chance to get hands-on with someone else's build.

On that note, I'll echo Phil's recommendation to keep an eye out for the lunch announcements. I somehow got roped into organizing these things a few years ago, and we were kind of getting good attendance going until COVD put a cramp on things this year.

Still, I'm hoping to try and get things going again next month, and I'll probably host another lunch at my place at Sport Flyers when it cools off a bit. We've got two -8 builds going out here, one of them being mine. I'm happy to show you around if you'd like, either at a real lunch event at some point, or if you just want to drop in some time.

That said, I'm still a few months at least from hanging the engine, so I can't give direct advice on that. But hey, maybe I can provide one of those hands-on opportunities early next year...

As others have said, you're in for a very satisfying part of the build!

I think the hardest part here is to make sure that all control cables, scat tubes and wiring are neatly routed and that nothing chafes against anything else. Use lots of Adel clamps, and if you have just a wire or two that you want to secure to the engine mount, wrap the tube with silicone rescue tape, and then tie-wrap the wire(s) to that.

Good luck, and don't be shy about asking for help.

Like others have said one of the easier parts of the build. When the time comes I’ll be available to assist should you need it, I’m located at Hooks.
Excellent!!!...I'm hangerd at Hooks. Just lost a transponder (legacy) the other day. So this is a temporary setback but also motivation to free myself of hiring someone to replace something I could do myself. We'll have meet over at Gill soon.

I greatly appreciate the encouragement and advice.
I'm in the process of trying to get a legacy panel in my 172 upgraded due to it failing.
I've been working in the electronics field for 40yrs and it's frustrating to have to pay someone to do something I know I can do. That and the beauty of finished VANS products have me changing course on future aircraft.
I will be picking your brains once I get started (in a few months).

Back