What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder Tests

flion

Well Known Member
I'm hoping Mel or someone equally knowledgeable will chime in to answer this dumb question. For the purpose of doing transponder checks, do I count as the manufacturer per 91.413? Not sure I want to shell out for the equipment, but curiosity got to me.

You are not the manufacturer.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bu...-questions/transponder-and-pitot-static-tests

The FAR’s authorize the "manufacturer" of the aircraft to conduct the tests However, the builder of an amateur-built aircraft does not meet the FAA’s definition of a manufacturer. The FAA, in Order 8130.2, defines a manufacturer as a Production Approval Holder (PAH). Some examples of a PAH would be the holder of a Production Certificate (PC), a Parts Manufacturing Authority (PMA), and Technical Standards Order Authorization (TSOA). An amateur builder does not fit this definition. Thus, the amateur-builder cannot perform the transponder and pitot/static tests on his/her homebuilt.

I will confirm what has already been said. For purposes of the transponder check, an Amateur-Builder does not qualify as the Aircraft Manufacturer.

Back