What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone putting the new nose gear on a -6A?

Brdog42

Well Known Member
Yes, no?

I?m rebuilding an -6A which had an engine failure while in the pattern 15+ years ago. 250 TTAF. Jim, the owner/pilot, my IA & former co-worker, was able to land on the runway. The only damage was a seized IO-360 angle valve the original builder installed. Jim was the second owner. The airframe sat in the back corner of Jim?s hangar until last August. He also had a new IO-360 parallel valve in a crate and a new engine mount/nose gear. The original engine needed a different mount.

So, now I?ve this -6A in my hangar with that crate IO-360 & engine mount. Jim passed it on to me. :) I?ve hung the engine and added baffling. But nothing else... no fuel lines, throttle/mixture cable, etc. It?d be the time to add the new nose gear.

I?ve basically a super quick build kit with an Airworthiness Certificate. A clean slate. The interior is completely removed. No instrument panel. I?m still not sure where I?m going with it. Mostly day VFR sightseeing trips for friends around AZ. I fly IFR at work and don?t feel the need to fly IFR in the -6A. Not with the IMC conditions we get in AZ, anyway. The -6A will be better with our DA?s than the A150L. Although I miss that Cessna.

Tim

Van's brought a fuselage with the new nose gear setup to Oshkosh. It's almost identical to the one on my RV-14A. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like you have to get a new engine mount also.

Last edited:
6A. Nose gear

Replace it! Never thought mine would give way, did all inspections, babied it on touch down, and seldom landed on grass strips. Still failed with 1500+ hrs on it.
New gear gets matched to old one and no engine mount replacement unless it was busted on prop strike incident.

Excellent investment!

Back