What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDU460 fit question and general panel feedback request

kaa

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm planning an upgrade from steam gauge panel to G3X touch and would like some feedback on the panel layout I came up with. The screenshot from Fusion 360 is below, but it's basically GDU460 with G5 backup. In the radio stack there is GNS530W (that I already have), GMC507 and GTA245. The round instrument below G5 is EI commander.

I mostly fly VFR with some IFR occasionally.

uc

I tried to group all switches by the phase of flight, and color code them accordingly. Red switches are for emergencies (AP disconnect, Aux feed for the endurance bus and backup alternator field). I'm playing with an idea to arrange them so that in their normal state they will all be flipped down and covered by protective covers. This way AP OFF position will be up and the ON position will be down, same for backup alternator feed). What do you think about it?

I also have a question about GDU460 fit. When I look at this panel from Stein, for example, it seems that the main display unit sits higher than in my drawing.

uc

However, in my layout I cannot move it higher because of a rib that holds the panel in place, which doesn't leave much space for switches below the display. What am I missing here?

open

Also, any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sometimes people have to modify the ribs to get the layout they want. Mine have been modified many times....

You have to notch the bottom of the rib. I don't have any pics but in my setup which still isn't complete I had to make a notch.

Back