What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Fluting Pliers

AusRV8

Hi all,

I am finalising my order for some tools. I have to have them shipped to Australia so I am trying to make the right decisions and minimise shipping. What is the best type of fluting pliers, I am leaning towards the plastic non marring pliers that have a large and gentle radius rather than the vice grip type that seem to have a narrow and stress raising type shape. Any practical tips much appreciated,

cheers

AusRV8

I have the vice grip type and I have never used anything else. I cant imagine there is that big of a difference between any of them. I guess in my case, ignorance is bliss.

Plastic Jaws

I have a pair of vice grips with little steel dowels welded to it. EXCELLENT

I really like the looks of the Cleaveland pliers too. But the plastic ones I just gave away, The molded jaws were too big and bulky and were hard to manage.. If you are handy with a welder you can make your own with vice grips. Just find someones to copy.

Cheers Steve

I'm currently doing the ribs for my RV14 and the Cleaveland pliers have been excellent. Great control of the fluting process and comfortable in the hand.

I have the vice grip style, and they seem pretty easy to use. Have not tried the others, but no issues with the ones I have. Probably any of them - or even homemade - would easily work.

Another vote for the vice-grip style, they're easy to make yourself too, I made mine in about 30 mins.
Cheers,
Hugh

Fluting pliers

I have a set of plastic jaw ones from Isham. They were pretty much worn out by the time I was half way through the fluting. They were also small and extremely hard on the hands to apply enough pressure.

Based on the quality of other stuff I have gotten from Cleaveland, if I were to build again I would get a set of their pliers...

Over the years, I have accumulated and used four different types of fluting pliers. During my recent RV-12 build, I found that the Vice-Grip version was consistently my fluter-of-choice. It allows consistent, pre-set flutes when needed, yet flutes can be readily varied in depth by varying one's squeezing pressure. Also, I found that the length of the prongs is very useful in determining the consistent location of the flute with respect to the flange/web of the rib. I found the big, thick, rubber-tipped fluting pliers to be of little value.

Back