What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro Seal or tape

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I am working on the rudder and went to the Van's site to order some pro seal for the trailing edge. Van's now has two sided 3M tape (part# F9460PC) for use on the flight surfaces trailing edge instead of the pro seal. Has anyone tried this product yet.
Which method would you recommend. Thanks...

Stick (pun intended) With Proseal

I've used that tape before for other things. It's pretty tough, but I wouldn't consider it to be anything close to what you get with proseal. You know what they say.....if it ain't broke.....

I have purchased and used the 3M VHB tape for a multitude of uses. When I went to the distributer they showed me that this tape is used in place of rivets on commercial aircraft. Try bonding two pieces of aluminum together and then separating them. It's almost impossible. I use the tape (1 mil size) for a myriad of applications including temporary bonding of wood products. If you get the surfaces separated, the glue is easily removed.

If this tape bonds well then what I received from another vendor (not Van's) must be old stock as it almost has no bond. I switched back to pro seal.

I bought the 3m tape from my work, Grainger. I found it didn't adhere well and wound up doing the project without either pro seal or the tape as others have. Basically try it and go with whatever works for you.

I know there are a variety of 3M tapes, at my previous work we had some that would take the skin off your arm, but it was pricy. Has anyone actually used the Van's stocked 3M for the flight surfaces. I will call Vans tomorrow to see what their tech will say about the difference. I do agree that sometimes the new and improved, isn't so improved!

Last edited:
The tape is what is called out in the RV-14 plans. It's obviously not as strong of a bond as proseal but that's not its function. It's an assembly aid, not a structural component.

I've now used the tape on wing trailing edges and proseal on tanks and there's no question which I would use. The tape is far less cumbersome and works just fine.

I believe they describe its use in the NEW ch 5 that can be downloaded from vans website... But I'm away from my plans and computer so I can't verify. There is a good bit of discussion about it in the RV-14 section here.

Last edited:
Back