What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 upgrades/fixes

DaveLS

Well Known Member
Just thinking that Vans has really worked hard continually improving an already great design and listened to their builders.

In no particular order:

RV-12 upgrades/fixes
FACTORY
1) landing gear beef up
2) fuel tank break away
3) fuel tank sight gauge replacement with top gauge
4) fuel tank line fittings: flange & anti-spin doubler
5) wing electrical connectors
6) pitch trim electrical connector
7) fire wall stiffener
8) canopy latch over travel stop
9) mechanical fuel pump drain lines
10) rear canopy seal procedures
11) wiring bundle pass over peddle tube guide
12) wiring bundle hold down plate below flap mixer
13) danyon 180 to Skyview
14) ADSB
15) pre made flaperon attach and activation brackets
16) glare shield
17) oil tank brace

What did I forget? What elce?

Well...split rear bulkhead/floor would be nice

Thanks Van's for the follow through.

-Dave

Last edited:
Page 37-02 Rev 3

Item 4) the anti-spin doubler referred to in the above post is part number T-1010 shown on plans 37-02 Rev 3. I had not seen this before and it came too late for me anyway to install when I had the tank open for the strength SB upgrade. This is good improvement for all you new builders. Without the doubler it is possible to turn that bottom return line fitting and cause a fuel leak if the need occurs to remove the return line.

What else would be nice? How about a ground adjustable aluminum rudder trim tab. This would cost little. Most of the RV12s that I have seen have had at least one of the costly plastic rudder wedges installed and some have two.

Tony

Great posting Dave, a keeper!
Also something that VANs ought to provide in one document/binder online as these changes a buried individually in their Web site. This would be a good reward for early builders who helped create them at a cost sometimes.

Dave,

Thanks for making this list.

Where is #12 described.

I have seen several references to builder manufactured solutions, but have seen nothing from the factory.

Thanks again

Joe,
With regard to #12: I'm one of the guys that fabricated one, awhile back. Then low and behold, a really nice one recently showed up with the hardware in my ADS-B kit. It works VERY nicely and installs between the two nylon guide blocks, in the area of the flaperon mixer. I'll get you the part number later. I can't see how it would cost more than $3-4 from Van's. It's worth buying one- If you aren't buying ADS-B.

Gary, I'd appreciate a part number. I think I have enough clearance, but I'd rather have the Van's part to be sure. Just a note to any new or potential RV-12 builders. Thanks to Van's ongoing design development, you are getting all the benefits of a VERY well sorted kit. Mine was excellent. The current kits are even better.

I'd like to hear more about these:

8) canopy latch over travel stop

I have to say, I've been in love with and following Van's kits for years. The continuing development of the RV-12 kit speaks volumes for the kit and Van's. The 12 is much more niche market than the other kits, considering it is LSA. That puts a lot of design limitations on what can and can't be done.

To evolve the airframe, within those parameters, and make it stronger and more desirable is awesome. You can't help but be impressed with the continuing commitment to make the 12 an even better and more desirable aircraft. This is the kind of thing that would spur sales and increase the value of the LSA world in general.

I may still end up building the 9 (my wife is younger and will be getting her license), but the 12 is what I'll be flying for the rest of my days.

Thanks Van's,

Bob

Pictures of #12 can be found here on this excellent site:

http://www.rv-12.blogspot.com/2013_08_01_archive.html

Dave:

8) over travel is the addition of part F-1241F which is shown on page 43-11 (it is installed much earlier but can not find the current plan page that shows the installation)

9) mechanical fuel pump drains were part of the mechanical fuel pump upgrade

By the way thanks for you website

-Dave

Last edited:
On the list

I too will be watching for the part number for the plate under the flaperon mixer, #12. I might get the ADSB package sometime down the road but for now having that plate would be good insurance.

Thanks for posting the list. It is a good reference.

John,

Lots of stuff is not on 'The List', for example the firewall stiffener kit is not listed.

Just call Vans and they will find it.

Also there is a second wire cover/depressor that fits under the flap handle WD-1216 and mounts on the left flap handle block F-1262. It can be seen on the previously given link.

-Dave

Desired but not yet factory...
See the sticky modifications thread...
Split rear bulkhead and floor cover plate under tank.
Canopy lock (KEYED TO SAME AS IGNITION SWITCH!)
Engine control lever slots and backer plates so middle panel plate is removable without removing the controls and redoing them.
AOA addition (rivet with hole, 1/8 inch tubing, quick-disconnect at wing root)
Fuel drain directly under tank

Others?
DESIRED -easily removable right-side stick.

Last edited:
Sure, here is one more - a stiffener for the ADHARS bracket to prevent vibration. There was a recent rumor that this was already in the works, but no one I have talked to at Van's seems to know anything about it. I guess it would not hurt to put it on the "wish list" hoping that someone at Van's read it and concurred with its importance and urgency.

"Just call Vans and they will find it.

Also there is a second wire cover/depressor that fits under the flap handle WD-1216 and mounts on the left flap handle block F-1262. It can be seen on the previously given link."

Dave, do you have a part number for this second wire cover? Vans orders dept is having trouble understanding what I want.

The earlier post gave that part number, and stated "also there is a second... that fits under....' implying that there were two separate parts. Have I misunderstood that?

Shirley and others, there ARE in fact TWO different parts. I failed to mention that (my apologies!) when I listed the ###49 part number above. The one I listed goes between the front nylon block and the second nylon block- covering the wires under the flaperon mixer. It's an excellent part, and in my opinion a MUST have. I'm sure it can't be more than a few dollars!?
But yes, there IS a second part that I forgot all about. It's another tiny 'shield' that mounts to the nylon block on the pilot side, where the flap handle pivots. I didn't see that wire shield being as necessary as the center one but hey, it sure can't hurt and it's a 30-second install if the tunnel is still open. Sorry I forgot to mention that one too, in my original reply.

These are very small and lightweight parts, so hopefully for you guys wanting them down under, shipping will be minimal? I hope?

Last edited:
If by "shield" for the flap handle you mean a boot, Abby at Flightline has that boot and also boots for the control sticks.

Order In

Placed an order today for a few items, including the F-00049 and F-00050. Quoted prices were 3.30 and 2.90 respectively. Didn't exactly broke da bank. Gotta love Van's for the way they keep parts prices so reasonable.

To Van's, many thanks (any no doubt there will be many more to come)!

If by "shield" for the flap handle you mean a boot, Abby at Flightline has that boot and also boots for the control sticks.

No, Bill. Both shields mentioned above, are new parts Van's is sending with the ADS-B kits. One shield is long and slender, and protects the wiring under the flaperon mixer. It creates a little protective 'channel' that covers the wiring. The other shield is a little piece of formed alloy that bolts to the flap handle pivot point on the pilot side, to protect some wiring in that critical location (from the moving flap handle).

** With the ADS-B kit, there's an antenna wire you have to route to the tail. When this wire is installed in the center tunnel, the wiring that was crowded before now becomes VERY crowded! These shields help, and with the ADS-B kit, Van's also includes three new TOP halves to the nylon blocks. These nylon top halves are taller, and simply give the ADS-B antenna wire a little more path to travel through. As mentioned in the previous post, these parts are dirt cheap. I think they are a must have (in my opinion), whether a fella installs the ADS-B or not. Very clever designs, and quick and easy to install.

Last edited:
Is there a kit number for all of the ADS-B parts (except the unit)? It would be nice to install that stuff now and get the ADS-B box when I order the avionics...

Bob

Here's a new request - SOMETHING BETTER FOR ALL THOSE $&@?!! Wires going over the brake pedal assembly!

"New" tunnel wiring brackets

I asked Van's about the new tunnel wiring brackets that come with the ADS-B kit and was advised to order (3) F-1276D brackets to replace the F-1267C I had installed. The three brackets I received were identical in size to the F-1267C brackets I took off. For anyone who has the original and the ADS-B kit brackets, how much taller are the new ones and is the part number on the parts page F-1267D?. So far it looks like a waste of a perfectly good $20 bill.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116

I asked Van's about the new tunnel wiring brackets that come with the ADS-B kit and was advised to order (3) F-1276D brackets to replace the F-1267C I had installed. The three brackets I received were identical in size to the F-1267C brackets I took off. For anyone who has the original and the ADS-B kit brackets, how much taller are the new ones and is the part number on the parts page F-1267D?. So far it looks like a waste of a perfectly good $20 bill.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116

John,
Someone messed up pulling the parts. The F-1267d part is dramatically different in height from the F-1276c. Completely different!

Question

Gary,

"John,
Someone messed up pulling the parts. The F-1267d part is dramatically different in height from the F-1276c. Completely different!"

Should be F-1276D??

Jim D

I installed the F00049 yesterday, but was unaware of the F00050 (now more postage wasted). Does the F00050 install easily?

I installed the F00049 yesterday, but was unaware of the F00050 (now more postage wasted). Does the F00050 install easily?

My fault, Don. I failed to remember that little part in our telephone conversations. My apologies! But yes, very small part, easy to send via US Mail from Vans, and installs in 2-3 minutes if you have the cover off of the area where the flap handle pivots.

Footnote: I ordered a few things from Vans last week: one package is coming FedEx Ground and is supposed to arrive today (Wednesday). The screws I ordered were sent US Mail and I had them in two days- received last week. US Mail for the small envelope was 4-days quicker.

Gary,

"John,
Someone messed up pulling the parts. The F-1267d part is dramatically different in height from the F-1276c. Completely different!"

Should be F-1276D??

Jim D

Let me check this evening, Jim. Probably my fat fingers trying to type on this iPhone. Could very well be the case and I could have jumbled the two digits around.

This should clear up the wiring shields / nylon blocks

Here are photos of the plans, depicting the two wiring shields, along with the taller nylon routing blocks.

If you are ordering these from Van's, order: Quantity of (1) part # F-00049. Quantity of (1) part # F-00050.
Quantity of (3) part # F-1276D. All five items will EASILY fit in a very small padded envelope. Request USPS regular mail in the envelope, and I'd bet postage is only a dollar or two.

Here is the main shield, Van's #F-00049. It is bent by hand on the ends, and fits under the top halves of the first two nylon blocks. Its purpose is to protect the wiring under the flaperon mixer. Unless you made your own, this is a MUST have, in my humble opinion:

vd4x.jpg

Here is a photo of the taller nylon blocks, Van's #1276D. If installing ADS-B and routing the antenna cable to the tail, these are a must have since the original nylon blocks don't allow for enough room. They DO come with the ADS-B kit, if you get the kit from Van's.

ns1c.jpg

And finally, here's a photo of the shield that goes back on the flap handle pivot point, left/pilot side only. Quick install with the two existing bolts. Van's #F-00050

ngjk.jpg

Sorry for any earlier confusion!

Last edited:
The 'List'

Note that:

A-1207-L-AN (No. 15)
A-1207-R-AN (No. 15)
A-1206-AN (No. 15)
T-1010
F-00049
F-00050
F-1276D

Were added to the 'list' yesterday.

Jim D

S-LSA Trim Tab

From rvbuilder2002 in another post:

"The trim tab has not been incorporated into the current kit but is available from Van's.
The part # for just the metal tab is R-01220 (a complete installation kit has not yet been developed)
Other parts required to do the installation are 5 LP4-3 blind rivets (fwd row of holes) and 5 AD-41-ABS blind rivets (aft row of holes; which have to be shorter because of reduced internal thickness of the rudder)
Installation requires removal of one rivet in the rudder, clecoing to that hole, and then match drilling the remaining 9 holes.

Adding this to my list of to-dos...

-Dave

Last edited:
In adding to the suggested improvements list, I would add FUEL FILTER. I have seen the posts saying it is not needed, but I don't find those arguments convincing.

The thing that makes the difference for the RV12 is that so many of us are jerry-canning mogas to the plane. Lots of sources for particulate contamination in that chain, and the carbs have tiny openings. I am meticulous in my use of a Mr. Funnel to fill my hangar-based 15-gallon-rotary-rotary-pump fueler, but still...

The argument about a particle blocking the filter - I don't see it if you pick the right high-area filter.

Anyone add a filter? Details?

Bill,

Your logic makes sense, but my first annual showed no debris on the gascolator screen and I am one of those Jerry Can guys. My fuel cans incorporate a filter screen in the nozzle, so maybe that's why.

Rich

Jamesey post #37

These parts were on the list of upgrades/fixes, and I am not sure where they go??

A 1207-L-AN (No.15)
A 1207-R-AN (No.15)
A 1206 AN (No.15)

And what does "No.15" refer to. Thanks

Patrick,

#15 refers to the 15th item on the list included in the first post.

The part numbers are for flaperon hardware.

-Dave

No interference

Just finished the third annual and there's no indication of the mixer touching ANY of the wires below it. Of course, I do not have the AP, lights, or any other "extras".

Wayne 120241/143WM

I turned mine and made a leak while hooking up a tube to test the tank!What I then did was buy a pair of the fittings like the fuel feed uses, makes a really good leakproof fitting then.
Item 4) the anti-spin doubler referred to in the above post is part number T-1010 shown on plans 37-02 Rev 3. I had not seen this before and it came too late for me anyway to install when I had the tank open for the strength SB upgrade. This is good improvement for all you new builders. Without the doubler it is possible to turn that bottom return line fitting and cause a fuel leak if the need occurs to remove the return line.

Tony

Updated upgrades and modifications list

Updating this old post. Should would be nice if a chapter by chapter upgrade list was maintained. Anybody have one?

And not the updated original post:

Just thinking that Vans has really worked hard continually improving an already great design and listened to their builders.

In no particular order:

RV-12 upgrades/fixes
FACTORY
1) landing gear beef up
2) fuel tank break away
3) fuel tank sight gauge replacement with top gauge
4) fuel tank line fittings: flange & anti-spin doubler (PMT-1010)
5) wing electrical connectors (PN 12 Wing Wire Connect)
6) pitch trim electrical connector (PN 12 Trim wire upgrade)
7) fire wall stiffener
8) canopy latch over travel stop (PN F-1241F) page 43-11
10) rear canopy seal procedures
11) wiring bundle pass over peddle tube guide
12) wiring bundle hold down plate below flap mixer (PN F-00049 over wires and F-00050 under pivot) Also thee F-1276D to replace three of the six F-1267C
13) Danyon 180 to Skyview
14) ADSB
15) pre made flaperon attach and activation brackets (PN A-1207-L-AN, A-1207-R-AN, A-1206-AN)
16) glare shield
17) oil tank brace
18) Canopy latch safety switch (PN ES-00300)
19) fuel tank vent modification kit (PN 12 Fuel Tank Vent Mod)
20) Spar Pin Switch Kit (replaces magnetic switches with micro switches)
21) baggage floor split (PN F-00083 and F-00081)
22) baggage bulkhead split (PN F-00102 and F-00103 OR Baggage Wall upgrade kit)
23) ADAHRS tail cone stiffener (PN F-00062 or 12SVAHRS rib kit)
24) Rudder trim tab (PN R-01220, five LP4-3 blind rivets, and five AD-41-ABS blind rivets)
26) Flap handle spring force
27) Wing skin reinforcement

Not yet but has been done or at least thought about
1) Angle of Attack
2) Engine control lever slots vs holes
3) Fuel drain under tank
4) Easily removable right-side stick
5) Fuel filter

What did I forget? What else?

Thanks Van's for the follow through.

-Dave

Last edited:
Great list

Thanks for collecting that list Dave. Good quick check to see what was done and not done (yet) in terms of upgrades or changes. I was fortunate to have done most of them during the build but there are still a couple that might get done this year....

Back