What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to wing it (dimple)

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
I have been following the plans carefully. When the empennage plans have you dimple the attachment holes of nut plates (09-12. Step 2) but not the mating surface, have the plan authors assumed that by now we should know to dimple the mating surface? Is there ever a time when a dimple is not nested in a dimple?

Hi the only time a dimple is not in another dimple is when it is in a countersunk hole. Usually on material that is too thick to dimple, such as spar caps etc usually .40 thousand or thicker.

Bird

I am at exactly the same point as you. I dimpled the mating surface also. I have not attached the nut plates. Primed everything yesterday. It made sense to dimple the surface even though the plans did not specifically tell you to. If I m wrong, then I will never again apply my newbie logic to anything! Let me know if I screwd it up.

I checked the nutplates last night and it looks like the K1000-8's are predimpled, but the K1100-6's are not. The directions reference the Chapter 5 section on dimpling at that point so I would assume that Van's wants you to review that section before proceeding. Dimple on.
-Bruce

My nutplates were all messed up. #8 instead of #6s. Not enough dimpled but I always carry some on hand and carried on.

Back